Quality of Life/ Bug Fixes? Topic

Also just wanted to highlight my favorite ideas I've read:
1. Importing and exporting draft boards/free agents, etc - would save me a crazy amount of time.
2. Starting Pitching tweaks for All Star Break and No Hitters
3. Spring Training Settings - either recommended to 40 or be able to save a set of settings
4. Injuries - I don't care as much about frequency, I care more about when you have an injury determining how much you recover (ie. earlier in the season the better).
5. Draft - Splitting rounds into different days (1st and sup one day, 2 - 10 another, etc.)
6. Freeze the heading row sorting FAs/Draft/Etc.
7. Tagging your most valuable prospects so managers know to play them often.
8. Make 6th year free agents not ask for 4/5 mil a year in free agency
9. Make arbitration less random or add in negotiation.
10. HOF - don't make last position primary, let commish vote for uncounted voters. Add in more fielding stats (+/- plays per position)

I would add 2 things:
1. Make the management of minor league teams easier. Perhaps add a screen where I can look at all minor league lineups or pitching staffs at one time. Maybe send notifications when multiple pitchers are at 0(0) or when the next starter will be below x%.
2. Update player types to have more good hitting/good fielding shortstops. It feels like a goldmine when I see a SS with 85+ defensive ratings who can be a league average hitter lol. Nowadays, there's plenty of those guys in the MLB.

Really anything that makes the user experience easier. I just bumped up to three teams and its pretty tough to keep track of it all and I'm always worried my minor league teams are going to go south without me realizing.
12/17/2020 2:02 PM
There's really only one thing wrong with coach hiring. I know you don't want someone hiring all the best coaches and hoarding them forever. I know you have to distribute talent fairly. But there's no real life logic to a good coach, in a steady job, who the front office likes, saying completely randomly "ah you know what I want to look around this year."
Unless maybe you make that Loyalty rating more definitive, that anyone over 65% almost never leaves, and anyone under 35% is in it only for himself getting the best deal.

12/17/2020 3:00 PM
Posted by damag on 12/17/2020 3:00:00 PM (view original):
There's really only one thing wrong with coach hiring. I know you don't want someone hiring all the best coaches and hoarding them forever. I know you have to distribute talent fairly. But there's no real life logic to a good coach, in a steady job, who the front office likes, saying completely randomly "ah you know what I want to look around this year."
Unless maybe you make that Loyalty rating more definitive, that anyone over 65% almost never leaves, and anyone under 35% is in it only for himself getting the best deal.

Maybe a process in which an owner advertises his coaching position openings and then coaches with lower loyalty or that are clearly qualified for that role would "apply" or accept an interview. Maybe allow the current franchise to deny permission to interview, but can only be used once for a coach.
12/17/2020 4:30 PM
I am still reading these by the way and appreciate them. Being honest, the reason the patch I mentioned doesn't have anything for you all is that Chris's big thing with HBD to start is building resiliency and error reporting around unsimmed games. Unfortunately because of the vastness of this game there are a ton more missed games here than any other mode and some days adjusting and helping people can take up to 2 hours of my day (depending on how rough of shape the teams are in). Only good news is it forces me to keep learning more about this game.

We are trying to find a better way to transition to Spring Training, transition out of Spring Training, handle injuries, and also when Rookie League starts as well.

Thanks for the thread and your patience.
12/17/2020 7:30 PM
Posted by rbedwell on 12/15/2020 11:43:00 PM (view original):
These would help:
  • Multi-year coach contracts.
  • Add a blue button to the red, green, and yellow ones.
  • HOF position defaults to the one played most often by that player in the ML.
  • Enable the ability to negotiate contract extensions before the old one is ready to run out.
Frivolous but fun:
  • Add historic ballparks like Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds.
  • Enable the ability to choose your own team colors.
Seemingly little things that are annoying and should be fixed:
  • The Asian player naming system. Asian names and birthplaces are not interchangeable. Japanese, Chinese, Korean names are separate and distinct. This seems to be currently set at random, which causes unrealistic combinations. For example, most of the players I have that are listed as born in Japan have Chinese surnames (or else they're named "Martin"), which is completely unrealistic. It's 2020; show some sensitivity to cultural differences and fix this, please.
I like the tag line "frivolous fun"

I would like to add two ideas under this section.

1. Add a World Series MVP award and this can be added to the players awards page so if he ends up be on the HoF ballot, it is another accolade;
2. Create your own player. Being able to create one player and add him to a prospect pool. I am not talking about creating Greek Gods here. We can put a limit on his overall rating of 45-50 and a peak of 80 on each rating, but I think it would be cool to pick a name from a drop down and make it a weird name like Dummy Dummy or something. Then we can mess with the ratings. You can make that defensive catcher with all 80s in defense, but can't hit himself out of a paper bag. Or a guy that can crush the ball against righties, but can only play 60 games a year and play DH.
12/17/2020 8:21 PM
Posted by adlorenz on 12/17/2020 7:30:00 PM (view original):
I am still reading these by the way and appreciate them. Being honest, the reason the patch I mentioned doesn't have anything for you all is that Chris's big thing with HBD to start is building resiliency and error reporting around unsimmed games. Unfortunately because of the vastness of this game there are a ton more missed games here than any other mode and some days adjusting and helping people can take up to 2 hours of my day (depending on how rough of shape the teams are in). Only good news is it forces me to keep learning more about this game.

We are trying to find a better way to transition to Spring Training, transition out of Spring Training, handle injuries, and also when Rookie League starts as well.

Thanks for the thread and your patience.
Best way to do that is to join a league. That way you can see the ups and downs in real time. Just like us. :p
12/17/2020 8:32 PM
What about keeping league leading stats available by year, and/or noting that on a player’s Awards tab or even the Almanac page?
I never liked that kind of thing slipping away, leading the league in homers for 5 straight years or something but then not being able to see that anywhere.
12/17/2020 8:44 PM
I would really like to see more filters avail in the ameteur draft and FA market. injury recovery seems to have been tweaked in the past year - that needs to go back to what it was. My guess is that it was tweaked to eliminate the "steroid" affect when players were able to recover more than what they lost. However - whatever was done - has seriously hurt the ability of players to return to normal levels of skill. I run with 20 mil medical and there seems to be no benefit to doing so anymore.
12/17/2020 9:34 PM
Posted by siberiansoul on 12/17/2020 9:34:00 PM (view original):
I would really like to see more filters avail in the ameteur draft and FA market. injury recovery seems to have been tweaked in the past year - that needs to go back to what it was. My guess is that it was tweaked to eliminate the "steroid" affect when players were able to recover more than what they lost. However - whatever was done - has seriously hurt the ability of players to return to normal levels of skill. I run with 20 mil medical and there seems to be no benefit to doing so anymore.
Even when the players recovered and were a bit better than they were before the injury, they were never over their peak development because if they did, the system immediately correct it on the first cycle after the DL.
12/18/2020 12:35 AM
*Increase the number of qualified fielding coaches. It's frustrating when the fielding coach leaves and you have to spend 2.5-3 million to hire a decent one because there are only 3 available. At one point I would have said coach hiring needs overhauled but there are several ways to approach signings that I don't feel this is as big of an issue.
*FA demands should drop more aggressively. Too many guys looking for big league jobs. "I'm sorry Mr Agent....your 6 year minor league free agent with no big league experiences still wants a big league contract at the end of spring training?"
*It would be interesting to know if something has changed to injury recovery. So many people feel there has been a change but I don't sense that. It feels like guys are still able to recover a most of their loss over the next season or two.
*If you spend 20 mil in a scouting budget.....you should be able to at least see all the prospects in that category. I spend 20 mill in HS and I can't see the clear #1 HS prospect. That doesn't make any sense. Same thing with College and Int.
*Even some small updates were done it would be great. Some the suggestions seem like significant programing things and others seem like an easy fix.....such as adding the extra color button for each player.
*It would be nice if a players pre draft ratings or int ratings saved to the player card. A team wouldn't loose the whole pre-draft scouting report. I can make a copy and put it in notes but it's just a pain. Once that player is traded or signs else where those ratings would disappear.
12/18/2020 12:49 AM
There are a lot of nice ideas in this thread, but I'll echo those saying the first thing that needs to be fixed is players not recovering if their injury counter goes to zero during the offseason. Bad luck has to be a part of the game, but there's no logical reason why a guy who blows out his elbow in April has his career ruined and a guy who blows out his elbow in September is fine.
12/18/2020 10:52 AM
The "add a 4th button" seems to be getting some love from owners. Since real estate on the player card is limited, may I suggest rather than either/or functionality for the buttons (red-yellow-OR-green) they be changed to on/off buttons. So each individual button can be on at the same time. Owners will do their own things with them but will know their own meanings.
12/18/2020 9:49 PM
In general, coach hiring needs a total overhaul, not a quick fix. But here's a potential quickie with big impact: in the re-hire phase. allow coaches to be re-hired to any position on the coaching staff, as long as level and salary demands are met. The fact that you can't re-hire your AA bench coach with a 68 FI rating to a major league FI coach position is silly.
12/19/2020 12:49 PM
Posted by dedelman on 12/19/2020 12:49:00 PM (view original):
In general, coach hiring needs a total overhaul, not a quick fix. But here's a potential quickie with big impact: in the re-hire phase. allow coaches to be re-hired to any position on the coaching staff, as long as level and salary demands are met. The fact that you can't re-hire your AA bench coach with a 68 FI rating to a major league FI coach position is silly.
+1. I think in coach hiring a team should be able to to whatever they want. Because that's a lot closer to real life.
12/19/2020 2:26 PM
Change the trade approval process. An abstaining vote now counts as an approval of the trade. Many owners don't care about trades and don't vote. I would be thrilled if the approval process only counted votes of owners that vote, and the outcome be decided by a simple majority. It would also be nice to see the vote totals. Not necessarily by owner name but just something like (12 yes, 7 no, and 11 abstain).
12/19/2020 2:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...37 Next ▸
Quality of Life/ Bug Fixes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.