Insurrection Topic

Where has he called for violence in the past?
2/14/2021 7:07 PM
And even if you’re right, which I can’t think of any, the charge wasn’t whether he had done it in the past or not, but if he did it on Jan. 6. You have to meet quite a high threshold to be guilty of “inciting a riot” legally.
2/14/2021 7:10 PM
I'm going to bet none of our Dem/Lib " friends" took my suggestion of reviewing the clips of what Biden and Pelosi have said. If they did, they'd shut-up and admit this was a pointless personal attack against someone they hate. Just another way for them to waste Government time and money. I can't wait to read wylie's attempted retort though. Should be worth more than a few chuckles.
2/14/2021 7:44 PM
Nothing that Biden and Pelosi have said even came close to what Trump said and did.
2/14/2021 7:47 PM
I’m not a big fan of the “well, the other side has done terrible things too so my guy is excused” argument. What Trump has done since Nov. 3 was terrible. It’s best to leave it at that instead of trying to point fingers at others.
2/14/2021 8:12 PM
That was directed at all3, but Tang, the left does have plenty of blood on their hands. Both sides need to clean their own rooms before calling out the other. Both parties have more than their share of issues and need to start taking responsibility.
2/14/2021 8:16 PM
+1
2/14/2021 8:48 PM
I already agreed Trump said things he shouldn't have, and yes, "but so-and-so" did this, is NOT an excuse. I was trying to show that anyone who thinks Trump is guilty of inciting a riot had better be ready for some of "their" folks to be found guilty of the same.
2/14/2021 8:56 PM
Could everyone have been more responsible in their advocacy for BLM over the summer? Of ******* course. Was the Democratic Party responsible for the riots? Of course not. The BLM movement over the summer was the largest in American history. I think those at the top of the Democratic establishment were very clear in their opposition to violence.

Also, systemic racism and police brutality is real. You can debate whether Democratic politicians overstated how real they are, but they are both still existing things that should be protested. The election wasn't stolen. The narrative that the election was stolen comes directly from Trump. Let's be real.
2/14/2021 9:05 PM
Our VP started a bail fund for rioters. That’s not condemning violence and you know that. AOC said “some communities have no choice but to riot.” That’s not condemning violence and you know that. So no, the democratic establishment was actually very clear in the other direction.

As far as systemic racism, the evidence is not clear that it exists. There is evidence of unnecessary police brutality, but that evidence shows that race is not a factor statistically speaking. My son, who is black and a cop, spent this past weekend at my house with his wife and child. We stayed up until about 2:00 AM Friday night having this discussion. I love to pick his brain on social issues because he has lived it from both directions (black cop). He grew up in the ghetto. I adopted him when he was 15. He made it very clear that most issues facing the black community are self-inflicted. He had story after story. The data that you’re using to prove “systemic racism” doesn’t take into account personal responsibility.
2/14/2021 9:23 PM
Can you point me to where Kamala Harris said that the bail fund would be for rioters? Not everyone arrested during a protest is rioting. You could be completely peaceful and get arrested for breaking curfew. The AOC quote was from 2019 about Israel and Palestine. Either you didn't do any research, or you posted a quote knowing that it was out of context, which is pretty scummy.

Even if both of those examples were true, it would not even come close to proving the overall point that the establishment supported riots. They clearly supported BLM PROTESTS, not riots. I could point to dozens of examples of Biden and others very specifically calling for peace and not violence.

Do I need to post the dozens of studies at every level proving that systemic racism exists again? This isn't even a debated topic in the academic community. I'm not sure how "personal responsibility" disproves systemic racism. If you want, I could post a specific study and you could attempt to debunk it because it doesn't account for "personal responsibility." I don't even deny that for an individual person, their own personal choices will probably determine more about their success than the color of their skin. But on a broad level? The disparities at every level of the criminal justice system, healthcare, housing market, etc. do make a difference.

Even beyond the studies, we both know that there are gigantic disparities in the success of black people and white people in America today. This can be chalked up to one of two factors. Either it's environmental (racism) or it's intrinsic (black people are inherently inferior). I'll get ahead of you saying 'culture' by asking where the culture comes from? Culture isn't inherent.
2/14/2021 9:54 PM
Do you have any evidence other than disparities that systemic racism exists? Disparities don’t equal racism. Saying that the academic community agrees on something doesn’t hold much weight with me anymore either, considering that “the academic community” agrees that boys can be girls and girls and can be boys. That kind of kills their credibility.

And no, that does not make a group inferior. That is one thing that we discussed. There is a TON of wasted potential that ends up in gangs and the “street life.” White people are not forcing black kids to drop out of HS at exponentially higher rates. White people aren’t forcing black, unmarried teenagers to get pregnant at higher rates. These are personal choices that skew data.

When I was teaching, I had a 6th grader one time tell me that “he doesn’t have to do his work, because he will always receive a check.” Obviously 6th graders have no clue what they are talking about. He was told this by an adult I can guarantee you. The sad part is that the kid was very smart. He is now in jail for theft at 19.
2/14/2021 10:27 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/14/2021 7:07:00 PM (view original):
Where has he called for violence in the past?
https://www.vox.com/21506029/trump-violence-tweets-racist-hate-speech
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/back-trump-comments-perceived-encouraging-violence/story?id=48415766

Of course, Trump supporters will say fake news or that his words were taken out of context.

I also knew the response would be that past actions did not make him guilty this time. I never said it did, but it does show that trump is not above inciting violence.
2/14/2021 11:43 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/14/2021 10:27:00 PM (view original):
Do you have any evidence other than disparities that systemic racism exists? Disparities don’t equal racism. Saying that the academic community agrees on something doesn’t hold much weight with me anymore either, considering that “the academic community” agrees that boys can be girls and girls and can be boys. That kind of kills their credibility.

And no, that does not make a group inferior. That is one thing that we discussed. There is a TON of wasted potential that ends up in gangs and the “street life.” White people are not forcing black kids to drop out of HS at exponentially higher rates. White people aren’t forcing black, unmarried teenagers to get pregnant at higher rates. These are personal choices that skew data.

When I was teaching, I had a 6th grader one time tell me that “he doesn’t have to do his work, because he will always receive a check.” Obviously 6th graders have no clue what they are talking about. He was told this by an adult I can guarantee you. The sad part is that the kid was very smart. He is now in jail for theft at 19.
The disparity IS evidence until you explain it in a way that isn't explained by racism. Why do black people make bad personal choices at higher rates than white people?

I also have specific personal stories of black people being discriminated against in a systemic way. Of course, this is the least compelling form of evidence.

The best evidence are the studies showing a blatant disparity in how black people and white people are treated in the criminal justice system and other systems. You can't handwave this away by just saying "I disagree with the academic community." I'm willing to post specific studies, and I would hope you would be able to critique what you disagree with or counter rather than just throwing it away as if it were conjecture.

As for "the academic community thinks boys can be girls and girls can be boys," nobody thinks that. The phrase "trans women are women" exists for a reason. I think one can be of the male sex but still be a woman. What's your explanation for why every credible medical institution supports trans people? If it's public pressure, I need evidence of that. The real reason would be that the normative claims made by the left on the trans issue seem good on every level. People who transition generally have better mental health than those who don't. Obviously having better treatment by society (such as recognizing pronouns) is also going to improve mental health. We can study these claims.

So the question that you need to answer is "why are black people getting pregnant at higher rates and dropping out of HS at higher rates?"

I have an answer. I don't think you do.

Again, I won't be satisfied with "personal choices." Individual personal choices don't explain large, group behavior. I also won't accept "culture" as an answer. I need root causes. What is the root cause of the cultural problem?

If it's "government handouts," why does this only seem to impact black people, or at least impact black people at much higher rates?

(also, I'm not going to forget the fact that you used an AOC quote from 2019 on the Israel-Palestine conflict as evidence that she incited the riots in 2020. I genuinely want to know how you came to the conclusion that this quote was in relation to the BLM protests. If you read it somewhere, now would be a good time to do some introspection on wherever you get your news and how blatantly they're lying to you)
2/15/2021 1:05 AM
I do enjoy conversing with you, strikeout. There are substance to your posts. I just believe that it is extremely obvious on every level that systemic racism is a thing.

btw, the strawman of "systemic racism means white people force black people to drop out at higher rates" is BS. The more accurate statement would be "Because of systemic racism dating back decades, black people on average have worse educational experiences than white people, which, alongside a bunch of other environmental factors, cause their dropout rates to be higher."
2/15/2021 1:10 AM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19 Next ▸
Insurrection Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.