Not my game but I am in this division.
Championship game final 33-30
Take a look at the last play of the game.

https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=8221401
1/11/2021 2:46 PM
Unfortunately, this looks like plain old bad luck. Manuel Pitts, as a Punter used for a K duties, was 44/52 (84%) for the season on FGs with a long of 45. He also made 145/145 XPs which is only slightly closer than the game ending FG he missed from the 6 yardline.

I do the same thing, try to never have a K on my team (unless I'm balancing out my recruiting classes). I use the P for all my kicking duties. I have never seen a negative side effect of using a P for my K. Gives me another roster spot.
1/11/2021 4:18 PM
Has anyone noticed much of a difference between using a kicker only for all kicking duties as opposed to vice versa? Does one do both jobs better on average or is it all about their ratings?
1/11/2021 5:48 PM
Punters generally do better with place kicking duties than do kickers with punting.
1/11/2021 6:14 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 1/11/2021 6:14:00 PM (view original):
Punters generally do better with place kicking duties than do kickers with punting.
+1,000

a kicker punting is not good. A punter kicking is pretty good.
1/11/2021 7:56 PM
Many seasons ago I had a freshman kicker miss a FG from the 1yd line at the end of the game. It was a playoff game against mfnmyers and St. Olaf. I will not forget that one.
1/13/2021 3:21 PM
Yep, A punter is better than a Kicker at pulling double duties. Punters don't do as well on Kickoffs though...IMO.
1/13/2021 3:34 PM
Conventional wisdom agrees that a punter is the better choice if you were only using one. One thing to consider when using a kicker as a punter is net yards rather than just gross yards.
1/13/2021 4:41 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 1/11/2021 6:14:00 PM (view original):
This is the general wisdom and I've had punters that were more than adequate kickers. Though I am going to try the reverse, having a kicker only, in a season or two. Not because I want a kicker punting for me, but for roster management reasons.
1/13/2021 5:43 PM
The OP makes me wonder whether there might be more of an out-of-position penalty in the clutch. I have always tried to have both a punter and a kicker on my roster. I don't need to save one of those roster spots for anyone else. It is hard getting everyone playing time as it is.
1/14/2021 1:08 PM
Another area where a good kicker can help is on kickoffs. Punters kicking off can cost field position.
1/18/2021 4:52 PM
So I just recruited this Punter in D3, and he'll start as a Freshman. What should I do when he eventually becomes the best player on the team?! LOL
Athleticism 50
Speed 51
Durability 54
Work Ethic 62
Stamina 50
Strength 43
Blocking 29
Tackling 39
Hands 14
Game Instinct 56
Elusiveness 56
Technique 19

Potential: Very High

523 Rating

Height/Weight:5'10" 190 lbs

3.2 GPA

#126P Rank

1/22/2021 7:47 PM (edited)
You'll get to find out how a Technique of 19 affects his punting.
1/23/2021 11:08 AM
Not too long ago I submitted a ticket to WIS saying I wasn't able to select combo practice for my punter at a DIII team I had picked up. The response was that the option had been disabled because it wasn't working "as intended". I'm not sure what that exactly meant. And I don't recall there having been an announcement about the change, but maybe I missed it. Also, the response didn't specifically say whether or not practicing kicking for the punter (or vice versa) worked "as intended" at the DII level and above and still had an impact.

The interesting thing is that if you have been a coach at a DIII team since before this (unannounced?) change, you can still select combo practice for your punter/kicker. I know because up until this season when I switched to another rebuild project, I was in that position. I can't say for certain whether or not it provided a benefit, but I never saw a drop-off in the performance of my punters.
1/23/2021 12:14 PM
Posted by DeBeque on 1/23/2021 11:08:00 AM (view original):
You'll get to find out how a Technique of 19 affects his punting.
I agree! I've never really been excited about a punter before, but I'm interested to see how he does!
Thinking about cutting my kicker after this season too now that I have him. Could use the roster spot for the upcoming Fr class for sure anyway....
1/23/2021 11:15 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.