Understanding SimLeague Basketball Topic

Although not intentional, the patch today seems to have upset the folks in this thread, for that I apologize. I was not meant to be an everyone gets something except SL Basketball for that I am sorry.

I understand the Bill Russell thing but something I am not going to do is start adjusting and changing values without understanding what the down wind impacts are. So what I am asking for is for someone in this community to spend about 4 hours with me, (4 - 1 hours sessions, once a week) to help me understand the game, strategies, etc.

You can respond to me here or email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

Adam
1/14/2021 5:09 PM
I nominate Ashamael or Benhoidal or Robusk but if no one else wants to do it, I will. Thanks for reaching out, this is promising and I look forward to seeing some changes.
1/14/2021 5:13 PM
I appreciate the names and I'll give them all a bit of time. I truly do apologize for not having something for you all today.

Sincerely,
Adam
1/14/2021 5:21 PM
Happy to do it. I’ll shoot you an email.
1/14/2021 5:28 PM
Yes, today felt like a pretty big slap in the face to see a note appear in every league chat about site wide updates, only to read nothing for sim league basketball, but what feels even worse is that we're all pretty used to it. I love the sim and think that it's got a lot going for it, but it definitely has a ton of room for improvement.

My schedule is extremely weird, but if we could find a time that worked for both of us, I'd love to do this. I also echo what dBKC said, as all of those owners - including him - are extremely qualified to talk on just about any subject regarding the sim. I'd actually encourage a discussion with all four of us + one or two others (coepernicus for sure) just to get some different perspectives, though I realize organizing that at a time that is convenient for all is probably extremely difficult.

Thank you for this note & for reaching out. I appreciate that greatly!
1/14/2021 5:29 PM
I emailed Adam and also offered up a group session with the three of us or separately.
1/14/2021 5:33 PM
I would be open to this as well. Thank you for reaching out and asking for feedback. That’s been missing from this site since before I joined in 2012.
1/14/2021 5:56 PM
I appreciate the quick responses, and like I said I am sorry neglecting this group was not my intention. I am going to have to start at square one and I sent robusk an email about how I had to go about learning SLBaseball because it was another product I knew nothing about, surprisingly now I have a division leading team in an open league.

If you would like to open with a vent session where you beat me up I am okay with that too a lot of communities here at WhatIfSports have been neglected for far too long and this one is no exception. From a basketball fan perspective having James Harden be a better defender than legendary Bill Russell doesn't seem right to me either, but I have to look at what that would do to high pricing, his performance in the engine, etc. So it isn't as simple as adjusting a few numbers, especially when I have basically zero knowledge of the games.

I look forward to getting to know you all better and finding a time to figure out the needs of the game and how to play it as well.

Sincerely,

Adam
1/14/2021 6:07 PM
Thanks Adam. This is already more attention than the NBA SIM has received in the last 15 years.
1/14/2021 7:24 PM
thanks Adam

fwiw I believe when the Def 1st/2nd teams and DPoY awards are announced at the end of every season there is a simple adjustment ( a bump up to 90s and 100 respectively) made (possibly manually?) to reflect those special designations

I figure it would be fairly easy to rationalize Russell being DPoY almost every season of his career (the award just didn't exist) and I think he actually was All D 1st team in his last season (the first time they started naming that team) which is why his 68-69 season is the only one that has a D 90 rating
1/14/2021 8:09 PM (edited)
Posted by copernicus on 1/14/2021 8:09:00 PM (view original):
thanks Adam

fwiw I believe when the Def 1st/2nd teams and DPoY awards are announced at the end of every season there is a simple adjustment ( a bump up to 90s and 100 respectively) made (possibly manually?) to reflect those special designations

I figure it would be fairly easy to rationalize Russell being DPoY almost every season of his career (the award just didn't exist) and I think he actually was All D 1st team in his last season (the first time they started naming that team) which is why his 68-69 season is the only one that has a D 90 rating
90/80 and no dpoy bump
1/14/2021 10:02 PM
so then I guess to get to 100 you'd have to mess with steals/blocks %? but for him that's made up data anyway, right? and even so 90s would be a vast improvement and make him a much more viable/draftable option
1/14/2021 10:48 PM
Posted by copernicus on 1/14/2021 10:49:00 PM (view original):
so then I guess to get to 100 you'd have to mess with steals/blocks %? but for him that's made up data anyway, right? and even so 90s would be a vast improvement and make him a much more viable/draftable option
Correct. I made the suggestion sometime recently that you could use his MVP seasons as virtual dpoy seasons, as he wasn't winning MVP for his elite offense.
1/14/2021 10:51 PM
hey, are you guys having super secret cool kid talks or was this all just

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (Shepperton Studios / 1978) - YouTube
2/17/2021 9:22 PM (edited)
Posted by copernicus on 2/17/2021 9:22:00 PM (view original):
hey, are you guys having super secret cool kid talks or was this all just

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (Shepperton Studios / 1978) - YouTube
Yeah. At least, he's had at least one session with Rob. I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but at least this much I know is cool: He's (adlorenz) trying to learn the ins & outs of the game before jumping in and making wholesale changes. He's at least read my posts and has started playing the nba sim (had never done so prior). Also, from what I understand, with the way things are coded it will take a lot of time to go in and straighten out things. Many games need a lot of work (have you ever played the NFL sim?), so he has a lot to work on.

Saw this good news today!

SimLeague Basketball:

• Adjusted Default settings for Open Leagues to $47 million budget & No Rookies, this will begin once the next open league is created.

That is a fantastic change that I know doesn't affect a whole lot of people on the theme league circuit, but many of those on the theme league circuit don't play OLs because of the reliance on rookies.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on what I know and the attitude shown. I appreciate someone wanting to get to know how things work before jumping in and just trying to make changes to appease people. What if someone did that and listened to the wrong people? Better to understand it and make informed decisions imo.
2/18/2021 4:26 PM
123456 Next ▸
Understanding SimLeague Basketball Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.