New 2X Prog League 67-68/68-69 (WAITLISTING) Topic

LEAGUE IS FULL BUT I AM STILL TAKING SIGN-UPS FOR THE WAITING LIST.. IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, PLEASE POST HERE OR SM ME.. THANKS!!

“Original 12” 2X Progressive League (OG12-2XPL)

Brand new progressive league that moves at 2X speed by playing two seasons at the same time.

We’re starting in the 67-68 and 68-69 seasons.

Each owner will control TWO teams – a 67-68 team in the Eastern Conference and a 68-69 team in the Western Conference. Owners will use the same set of 12 players to build both teams.
  • The inaugural draft order will be ABBA BABA BB (with two picks each in the 9th and 10th rounds)
  • All players (NBA & ABA) with WhatIf seasons in 67-68 or 68-69 are eligible
  • If you draft one or more players who only play in one of the two seasons, you can fill any open roster spots with “free agents” (i.e., undrafted players) from the given season.
Upon signing up, owners must select their franchise from the “Original 12” NBA franchises in the 67-68 season. This will determine divisions:

ATLANTIC (67-68) / MIDWEST (68-69)
  • Baltimore Bullets (badboys12345)
  • Boston Celtics (jcred5)
  • Cincinnati Royals (bsubroncoos)
  • Detroit Pistons (dBKC)
  • New York Knicks (rmalle04)
  • Philadelphia 76ers (HDS1)
CENTRAL (67-68) / PACIFIC (68-69)
  • Chicago Bulls (jhsukow)
  • Los Angeles Lakers (buffalo_rob)
  • San Diego Rockets (zora4preside)
  • San Francisco Warriors (albiband0)
  • Seattle SuperSonics (OldAndy)
  • St. Louis Hawks (seapilots)
Example: I select the San Diego Rockets
  • As owner of the San Diego Rockets franchise, I will enter my teams as the “67-68 San Diego Rockets” and the “68-69 San Diego Rockets.” (All owners must use this format)
  • My teams will forever be the San Diego Rockets – they will not evolve into the Houston Rockets.
  • In honor of the old school, "Original 12" NBA, all franchises will forever be known by their 67-68 names.
Subsequent Drafts
  • After the conclusion of the “67-68/68-69” 2X period, we will have the “69-70/70-71” draft
  • All players who were on league rosters in 67-68 or 68-69 (excluding undrafted “free agents”) remain “under contract” to their teams – but owners are not obligated to use them in the following season(s)
  • Eligible players for the “69-70/70-71” draft will include all players with WhatIf seasons in either 69-70 and/or 70-71 who were not drafted in the inaugural draft.
  • All drafts (excepting the inaugural draft) will consist of four rounds, and will include all players with WhatIf seasons in one or both of the 2X period seasons, excluding players who are “under contract” to one of the league teams.
Future Draft Lotteries
  • The six franchises with the fewest combined wins in the previous 2X period, excluding all division winners, will be entered into the draft lottery
  • All six lottery teams will have equal odds of winning the lottery
  • The lottery will determine the first three picks of the first round – the remaining picks of the first round, and all 12 picks of each subsequent round, will be based on fewest combined wins from the previous 2X period, with the last slots reserved for division winners
  • Excluding the inaugural draft, the same team may not receive the #1 pick in two consecutive drafts
Other Rules
  • No IR. If you are unable to roster a player on at least one team in a given 2X period, you lose your rights to him for the following 2X period.
  • Trades are allowed and encouraged.
  • Owners may protest trades by SMing the commissioner. All protested trades will be put to a vote. It will require six votes to overturn a trade.
  • Draft picks can be traded up to 3 drafts in advance
  • Teams may end up with greater or fewer than 12 players “under contract” following subsequent drafts. They are allowed to carry forward any players they use on at least one of their two teams, up to a maximum of 12 players, and they must use “free agents” to fill any remaining roster spots.
In
  1. zora4preside (San Diego Rockets)
  2. buffalo_rob (Los Angeles Lakers)
  3. bsubroncoos (Cincinnati Royals)
  4. dBKC (Detroit Pistons)
  5. albiband0 (San Francisco Warriors)
  6. rmalle04 (New York Knicks)
  7. badboys12345 (Baltimore Bullets)
  8. OldAndy (Seattle SuperSonics)
  9. jcred5 (Boston Celtics)
  10. seapilots (St. Louis Hawks)
  11. HDS1 (Philadelphia 76ers)
  12. jhsukow (Chicago Bulls)
1/21/2021 11:01 AM (edited)
I haver never tried a progressive league before, but would like to play. I will take the Seattle SuperSonics!
1/16/2021 3:45 PM
Awesome. There are a few other first-timers in this league, too. Thanks for joining!
1/16/2021 4:05 PM
Thanks for running the league. I'm looking forward to playing!

Will the draft take place as soon as all 12 teams have signed up? Just wondering how much time I have to prepare. Thanks!
1/16/2021 4:27 PM
We'll get started shortly after we get the 12th signup.. I'll give at least a 24-hour notice before we start, and the first round will be "off the clock," so you should have plenty of time to prepare. Thanks again
1/16/2021 4:32 PM
Sounds good. I will start getting ready!
1/16/2021 4:52 PM
I'll try Boston - thanks!

Question to make sure I understand. If I draft say, John Havlicek. I would choose one of his 67 or 68 seasons for either my 67 or 68 team. Is it the same thing the following season? I decide which Havlicek season, 69 or 70 goes to my team named 67 Boston Celtics or 68 Boston Celtics. Did I get it right?
1/18/2021 10:13 PM
Provided jrced's question above is answered shortly, I'll give Philly a go.
1/18/2021 10:55 PM
  • Teams may end up with greater or fewer than 12 players “under contract” following subsequent drafts. They are allowed to carry forward any players they use on at least one of their two teams, and they must use “free agents” to fill any remaining roster spots.
One question about the wording used here, "They are allowed to carry forward any players they use on at least one of their two teams..."
Say we're in the 97-98/98-99 seasons, and I have Michael Jordan. Since he didn't play in 98-99, does the 'carry forward' part mean I use 2 97-98 MJs, one on each team? From the wording, that's the overall thought I had, but want to be sure of the intent.
1/18/2021 11:07 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 1/18/2021 10:13:00 PM (view original):
I'll try Boston - thanks!

Question to make sure I understand. If I draft say, John Havlicek. I would choose one of his 67 or 68 seasons for either my 67 or 68 team. Is it the same thing the following season? I decide which Havlicek season, 69 or 70 goes to my team named 67 Boston Celtics or 68 Boston Celtics. Did I get it right?
Thank you for your interst, jcred!

If you draft John Havlicek, you'll have him for the 67-68 season AND the 68-69 season. You'll enter two teams: One will be called the "67-68 Boston Celtics" and will be put in the Eastern Conference, the other will be called the "68-69 Celtics" and be put in the Western Conference. All of the players on the 67-68 team need to be from the 67-68 season, and all the players on the 68-69 team need to be from the 68-69 season. This way the progressive league moves at 2X speed, by playing the 67-68 and 68-69 seasons at the same time, in the same WhatIf league. After the season(s) are over, we'll move on to the next "2X period" (69-70/70-71) where you'd still have Havlicek for both of your teams.

Does that make sense? Still interested? Thanks!
1/19/2021 10:06 AM
Posted by jpevans31 on 1/18/2021 11:07:00 PM (view original):
  • Teams may end up with greater or fewer than 12 players “under contract” following subsequent drafts. They are allowed to carry forward any players they use on at least one of their two teams, and they must use “free agents” to fill any remaining roster spots.
One question about the wording used here, "They are allowed to carry forward any players they use on at least one of their two teams..."
Say we're in the 97-98/98-99 seasons, and I have Michael Jordan. Since he didn't play in 98-99, does the 'carry forward' part mean I use 2 97-98 MJs, one on each team? From the wording, that's the overall thought I had, but want to be sure of the intent.
If you had Michael Jordan in the 97-98/98-99 "2X Period," your rights would carry forward to the next "2X Period" since you'd roster him on the 97-98 team. Any player you're able to roster on one of the two teams carries forward to the next "2X Period." Unfortunately, since Jordan doesn't have seasons in 99-00 or 00-01, you wouldn't be able to roster him in the "99-00/00-01" period, so you'd lose your rights to him for his 01-02/02-03 comeback.. Just like the Bulls.

I've looked ahead and there are very few players this would effect. For example, Bill Walton would always carry forward, even when he missed two consecutive seasons.

Does that make sense? Can I put you down for Philly? Thanks for the interest jpevans!!
1/19/2021 10:11 AM
I’m hoping I followed the thread correctly. Assume I draft Tom Boerwinkle. He doesn’t begin his career until 68-69. I think that means I would play his 68-69 season on my 68 team, and pick up a free agent after the draft from 67-68 to fill his spot on my 67 team. Since he played on one of my teams, he carries forward for both teams in the next set of seasons. I would have him on my 70-71 team as he played on my 68 team. I would also be able to play him on my 69 team with his 69-70 season even though he did not play on my 67 team because he played on one of my teams in the prior set of seasons. He doesn’t have a 72-73 season so I would be in the same situation in our 3rd set of seasons as I was in our 1st set. With all of that, I would be able to use Boerwinkle on at least one of my teams for his entire career, because he always plays in at least one of the seasons in each set we play. Correct?

Next question. Using Boerwinkle as an example, I can “cut/drop” him after any set of seasons we play? However, if I do drop him, I am dropping him from both teams. Is this correct?

Sorry, but one more clarification. If I drop Boerwinkle in the middle of his career, will he be available to be drafted in a future set of seasons? I think he will be but wanted to make sure.

I apologize for all of the questions, the theme sounds intriguing.
1/19/2021 2:02 PM
Posted by bmbigdog44 on 1/19/2021 2:02:00 PM (view original):
I’m hoping I followed the thread correctly. Assume I draft Tom Boerwinkle. He doesn’t begin his career until 68-69. I think that means I would play his 68-69 season on my 68 team, and pick up a free agent after the draft from 67-68 to fill his spot on my 67 team. Since he played on one of my teams, he carries forward for both teams in the next set of seasons. I would have him on my 70-71 team as he played on my 68 team. I would also be able to play him on my 69 team with his 69-70 season even though he did not play on my 67 team because he played on one of my teams in the prior set of seasons. He doesn’t have a 72-73 season so I would be in the same situation in our 3rd set of seasons as I was in our 1st set. With all of that, I would be able to use Boerwinkle on at least one of my teams for his entire career, because he always plays in at least one of the seasons in each set we play. Correct?

Next question. Using Boerwinkle as an example, I can “cut/drop” him after any set of seasons we play? However, if I do drop him, I am dropping him from both teams. Is this correct?

Sorry, but one more clarification. If I drop Boerwinkle in the middle of his career, will he be available to be drafted in a future set of seasons? I think he will be but wanted to make sure.

I apologize for all of the questions, the theme sounds intriguing.
bmbigdog44, no need to apologize, I'm happy to answer your questions!

If you drafted Boerwinkle in the inaugural draft, you would only be able to use him on the 68-69 team (since he has no 67-68 season). You could use any undrafted 67-68 player (a so-called "free agent") in his place for your 67-68 team.

You would automatically have the rights to use Boerwinkle on both your 69-70 and 70-71 teams the following "2X period." Your rights to use him would carry forward through time so long as you used him on at least one of your two teams in a "2X period." For example, Boerwinkle doesn't have a 72-73 season, but your rights to him would carry forward to the 73-74/74-75 "2X period" so long as you rostered him on your 71-72 team.

In this system, there would be no need to ever drop Boerwinkle (or any other player). You are not obligated to use any player, even if they are "under contract" to you. If you have rights to a player and don't use him on one of your two teams in a given "2X period," then the player becomes available to be drafted in the following draft. This will keep a few players "off the market," which will add a different kind of strategic element to team management. It also gives all owners a little more flexibility for making trades, since they can have more than 12 players "under contract."

Thanks again for your interest!!
1/19/2021 3:01 PM
this looks like fun I'll take St. Louis Hawks if still available
1/19/2021 3:42 PM
Zora, based on that last post of yours, someone could have 24 players on their team. As long as they use someone in one of the two current seasons, they keep the rights to that player? This could lead to a savvy owner stocking up and absolutely running the league.
And the combining both teams' wins to determine lotto odds... Someone could have a decent 50 win team, tank with the other, then potentially add a #1 pick. Combine that with the stocking of up to 24 players (which would lead to some people creating a tanking team + a playoff team), and someone will create a super-dynasty type team. It'll just be a race to see who gets there first. I might've overlooked something before I posted this, but I'm not sure there are enough protections for parity. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
It's an interesting basis for a league, and I'll check back here to see what happens, but as it is now, I'll have to pass. If a few things are addressed, I'd be interested in joining.
1/19/2021 3:44 PM
123 Next ▸
New 2X Prog League 67-68/68-69 (WAITLISTING) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.