Patch notes - February 18th, 2021 Topic

Posted by just4me on 2/19/2021 10:05:00 PM (view original):

Edit: Should’ve probably edited this earlier but this is live.

New features/changes:

SimLeague Baseball:

• Adjusted Default settings for Open Leagues to not include AAA Players.

The above says it's already live, but is this only for leagues that begin forming after this time, or even for leagues that started filling, but haven't quite filled yet?

I ask because I have multiple teams in leagues waiting to fill (along with jonjoerob and bru[numbers]) and don't know if those teams will be impacted as well, or if those will still have AAA since they started and the league # was issued prior to the change?

I just sent adlorenz a sitemail message with a similar concern, because I interpreted the announcement as meaning that the patch was effective immediately (2/18), and I just drafted extra PAs/IPs for an OL team with the expectation that AAA players would not be available.

However, after the league (129252) was filled and the schedule was set, I went to the GM's office and found that there were AAA players for my team. I don't really mind this change in general, but I just wish there was more clarity on the exact effective date of the change, because I would have drafted my team differently if I had known the actual parameters.
2/20/2021 1:11 PM
Posted by dn8779 on 2/20/2021 1:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by just4me on 2/19/2021 10:05:00 PM (view original):

Edit: Should’ve probably edited this earlier but this is live.

New features/changes:

SimLeague Baseball:

• Adjusted Default settings for Open Leagues to not include AAA Players.

The above says it's already live, but is this only for leagues that begin forming after this time, or even for leagues that started filling, but haven't quite filled yet?

I ask because I have multiple teams in leagues waiting to fill (along with jonjoerob and bru[numbers]) and don't know if those teams will be impacted as well, or if those will still have AAA since they started and the league # was issued prior to the change?

I just sent adlorenz a sitemail message with a similar concern, because I interpreted the announcement as meaning that the patch was effective immediately (2/18), and I just drafted extra PAs/IPs for an OL team with the expectation that AAA players would not be available.

However, after the league (129252) was filled and the schedule was set, I went to the GM's office and found that there were AAA players for my team. I don't really mind this change in general, but I just wish there was more clarity on the exact effective date of the change, because I would have drafted my team differently if I had known the actual parameters.
Upon closer inspection, this might end up being what Bob Ross calls a "happy accident." To compensate for the new change, I drafted my PAs differently for certain positions, and I might have shorted a couple spots by too much. The AAA that I didn't expect to be available may provide a much-needed cushion.

Trial and error is messy, for Admin and team owners alike, and that's okay. It's this experimentation that moves things foward.
2/21/2021 8:55 AM (edited)
Boooo! Random rookies, trades and using the waiver makes sim baseball fun. Make a separate league for no AAA if there are people who would prefer that.
2/21/2021 1:04 PM
I agree. BAD idea to get rid of AAA. AAA is fun. Very disappointed.
2/21/2021 1:47 PM
I second gbonini's thoughts. AAA players add a randomness to each drafted team that forces you to react by trading or going the FA route on the waiver wire to address the needs not filled my your AAA players or needs as the season goes on. Also helps level the field a bit for newer players vs. HOF's in the Open League, which is a much larger concern.

How about making another league specifically for those who want to try this and keep one with AAA.
2/21/2021 1:55 PM
I couldn't disagree more that AAA level the playing field for newer players.
Experienced players know more or less what they are getting, or at least a reasonable range of expected value/IP/PA, and can plan accordingly. Meanwhile I'd say a lot of new players aren't even aware that the AAA exist, let alone how to use them properly.
2/21/2021 4:13 PM
Posted by adlorenz on 2/18/2021 6:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crazystengel on 2/18/2021 5:15:00 PM (view original):
The Open Leagues/AAA change is an interesting development either way, but yeah, would like clarification if it's no more AAA at all or simply replacing the fake names with real ones.
There will be no AAA players, this may or may not be a permeant change. I am always open to listening to the community, but the combination of fake names, understanding the value of these AAA players (or their real names), and debate around trading AAA players for $200,000 bench players, this seemed like something to explore for open leagues only.
Not a fan. AAA is always what was fun about the OL. So be it, I'll stick to Themes I guess.

QUESTION: I hope this applies to open leagues only? Are Champ League affected. Please tell me AAA is still an option in Theme leagues.
2/21/2021 4:30 PM
I'm in favor of anything that shakes up open leagues which have become predictable, stratified and boring. Glad I have to start thinking about my OL teams again. Nice work, and maybe you can shake up pricing next. My 0.02...
2/21/2021 4:58 PM
Posted by gbonini on 2/21/2021 1:47:00 PM (view original):
I agree. BAD idea to get rid of AAA. AAA is fun. Very disappointed.
I'm very surprised. To me it looks like a solution to not-a-problem.

If newbies are surprised about the issues listed, then there WIS should issue a "Read This First" warning about such things and how to deal with them.

And that brings this up: The biggest problem for newbies is understanding in-game pitching fatigue, for each pitcher, and how to calculate for their fatigue thresholds. Why not put that in the "Read This First" too? (It's not in Help, as we all should know.)

Looks like it's time to start another Open League Style Theme...

Actually, AAA (along with WW) is a great help for SLB newbies and having to get along without it gives them fewer means of correcting errors -- and actually playing the game throughout the season. I know I depended on both, for getting my first team adjusted.
2/21/2021 5:08 PM (edited)
Posted by KSBeachBums on 2/20/2021 1:28:00 AM (view original):

Hardball Dynasty:

• Added Commissioner tool to allow commissioners to warn via email or sitemail owners, also replace vacant owners on their own after 14 days of inactivity.

As a World Commissioner, where exactly do you find this in HBD?
adlorenz, I just tried sending a warning to an owner in the world that I am commish for to see how things worked, and he said he only got a sitemail warning and nothing by email... Any idea why?
2/21/2021 8:29 PM
I could not agree with Arlen William more. The AAA and WW are to great learning tools and potential equalizers for mistakes we all make and for poor performing players. I predict this back fires in a big way and pushes people to other formats or to quit all together.
2/21/2021 8:38 PM
So does anyone know is The Champions League still includes AAA and WW ???

2/21/2021 9:00 PM
Only Open Leagues are affected, not Champs or Theme leagues.
2/21/2021 10:16 PM
Great. Thanks

2/21/2021 11:36 PM
Maybe as an offset to eliminating AAA players, we could eliminate or reduce the transaction charge for WW pickups? At least this will provide some relief for newbies and others that make drafting mistakes .
2/22/2021 6:59 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Patch notes - February 18th, 2021 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.