Are scholarships valued up or down in the recent patch?

how will this take effect for the worlds currently recruting?

thank you for your work and changes Adam! It’s super great to see!
2/18/2021 10:15 AM
I have the exact same question
2/18/2021 10:39 AM
so basically this patch does nothing
2/18/2021 10:55 AM
Yeah, I don't understand the significance. Everyone has to offer a scholarship to sign a player so changing the value of a scholarship shouldn't matter, should it?

If you're placing more value on something everyone has to do is that going to (slightly?) decrease the effectiveness of other actions? Need to know more.
2/18/2021 10:59 AM
What was the in home recruiting bug?
2/18/2021 11:01 AM
I think everyone should consider the jobs update to be the most important aspect of the patch.
2/18/2021 11:21 AM
is there a link to notes / thread / etc?
2/18/2021 11:39 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 2/18/2021 11:21:00 AM (view original):
I think everyone should consider the jobs update to be the most important aspect of the patch.
Very much so!
2/18/2021 11:53 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/18/2021 11:39:00 AM (view original):
is there a link to notes / thread / etc?
Here
2/18/2021 11:53 AM
Just thought I would throw this into the convo. I site mailed adlorenz the following. I'd like to get anyone's thoughts on the subject.

Hey adlorenz,

I have a few questions about the patch. I hope it's not too much to bother u with. Here they are:

In Hoops Dynasty, what does the following mean?

"Recruiting Balance Change - Adjusted scholarship offers to be more balanced towards real life value"

Does this mean that a scholly offer from, let's say, a B+ prestige Georgia Tech is more valuable than a scholly offer from a B+ prestige Wichita St because Georgia Tech is an ACC school?

Or is this just directed toward D1 schools versus D2 schools?

I'm sorry, that note confuses and scares me just a little bit and a little clarification would help ease my anxiety! lol.

On a side note, has a limit on the number of seasons you can coach at one school ever been considered? I ask because there are schools out there that have had the same coach for 60-70 plus seasons. That is not realistic because ppl don't live or coach that long. And those big time schools rarely have coaching turnover bc once a coach gets that job, they never leave. I know I wouldn't.

The fun in this game is the climb. And with the New Coach Experience and Job Qualification formula, I think getting one of these jobs is more feasible now, IF they ever come available. If it hasn't been discussed; I don't know but maybe it's worth you and your team considering. Even the best college hoops games of all time on console have career timeframe limits. Let me know your thoughts if you have the time!

Thanks for reading this over! It's good to have someone actually trying to make the game better and more realistic! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next! Good luck!

Let me know what you guys think.
2/18/2021 12:18 PM
i struggle with the one thing, because some people love sitting at a program forever. it happens in all divisions and its a deep source of connections that i'd be reluctant to recommend get severed. i've had a ton of good d1 jobs but i never stayed terribly long, maybe 30-40 seasons on 1-2 but far more were far shorter. just saying, some folks like to move around a lot, some like to stay put, but i think there's a healthy spectrum. anyway, i totally get your point on the problem, but i'd vote against making folks move just because of what those programs mean to some of those folks.

i do wish they'd make worlds with a shelf life though! most of you newer folks, anyone under 10 years, has no idea what the excitement of a new world is, the rush to d1 for some, the push to have the best d3 or d2 dynasty in the new world for others - its really a pretty cool thing. but they can't just keep adding worlds forever, and deleting the supposedly permanent ones just seems really brutal for both sides (coaches and the HD folks). anyway, i think this would address folks with your concern as well?
2/18/2021 12:40 PM
If new worlds are added, I think a coach career term limit of 60 seasons total (across all divisions and schools, then start over at the bottom as “shoe3[2]”, for example) would be great for those worlds. I would not advise changing the existing worlds for the reasons gil mentions. A world with its own shelf life is problematic, because what do you do with the coaches who come to the world in the last 30% or 10% of that world’s life? It becomes much less attractive, and would get very stale at the end. Individual coach career term limits is much better, maintains fluidity and continuity.

But only in new worlds.
2/18/2021 12:48 PM
I don't know exactly what the best number for career term limits are, but I think 30-40 years at one school is probably enough. Coach K is in his 41st season at Duke, but no one coaches at a top tier school that long any more. My idea would be to limit the career at the D1 level to 40-50 years total, then be forced to retire. That means if it takes you 25 years to get to Power 5 school, then you have 25 years to coach at that level if you choose When you are forced to retire, you get a prestige tag behind your username( Brokenee(2) ) and you can start over at any division you want, but you must start over at a low level school. I think this is what shoe3 is saying as well. This would allow for some turnover at the top tier schools and wouldn't limit the newer people to being bottom feeders their whole career bc jobs never open up.

Power 5 teams win championships at the D1 level 90% of the time or better. When those jobs are taken and never have turnover, it makes it virtually impossible for every coach that's not coaching at a Power 5 to win a championship. And the biggest part of this is, the monetary rewards that come with those deep NT runs. If I don't coach at a Power 5 school, I don't get the shot at rewards that pay for my next 10 seasons, so I end up paying a lot more money than someone who has been the coach at say UK for the last 60 seasons. So essentially I am paying their way to play.

This is why I think there has to be something done about career term limits. No turnover is costing me money! I love this game and I feel like I am pretty good at it. I've taken a Rhode Island team to multiple Final Fours but this is my 30th season there.

I struggle to keep my team at that level consistently because of the baseline prestige, so I don't end up with the same rewards that a Power 5 coach that is in the sweet 16 every year gets. If I had one of those jobs, I'd prolly be playing almost for free. But my prestige isn't always high enough to get a Power 5 job when it opens if they only come available every 60-70 seasons. By limiting coaching career timeframes and implementing the New Coach Experience and Job Qualifications, I believe it would even the playing field for everyone. I want to keep playin this game for a long time, but I can't afford to pay for everyone else to play all the time! And if you don't believe me; ASK MY WIFE! I promise you that she will let you know that I can't be dropping hundreds of dollars yearly to play a simulation game while some play for free! LOL
2/18/2021 1:16 PM
Posted by Brokenee on 2/18/2021 12:18:00 PM (view original):
Just thought I would throw this into the convo. I site mailed adlorenz the following. I'd like to get anyone's thoughts on the subject.

Hey adlorenz,

I have a few questions about the patch. I hope it's not too much to bother u with. Here they are:

In Hoops Dynasty, what does the following mean?

"Recruiting Balance Change - Adjusted scholarship offers to be more balanced towards real life value"

Does this mean that a scholly offer from, let's say, a B+ prestige Georgia Tech is more valuable than a scholly offer from a B+ prestige Wichita St because Georgia Tech is an ACC school?

Or is this just directed toward D1 schools versus D2 schools?

I'm sorry, that note confuses and scares me just a little bit and a little clarification would help ease my anxiety! lol.

On a side note, has a limit on the number of seasons you can coach at one school ever been considered? I ask because there are schools out there that have had the same coach for 60-70 plus seasons. That is not realistic because ppl don't live or coach that long. And those big time schools rarely have coaching turnover bc once a coach gets that job, they never leave. I know I wouldn't.

The fun in this game is the climb. And with the New Coach Experience and Job Qualification formula, I think getting one of these jobs is more feasible now, IF they ever come available. If it hasn't been discussed; I don't know but maybe it's worth you and your team considering. Even the best college hoops games of all time on console have career timeframe limits. Let me know your thoughts if you have the time!

Thanks for reading this over! It's good to have someone actually trying to make the game better and more realistic! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next! Good luck!

Let me know what you guys think.
I saw the sitemail, and while I understand change is different for WIS and the community, it's hard to answer these questions around the scholarship offer change, part of the game is figuring it out, its how a lot of you have gotten to be the successful coaches you are today. It was not a big change, it was essentially an adjustment the base value of scholarship offers. I do not think many people (or anyone for that fact) will notice much difference at all. I stated I am not here to make massive changes but we saw an opportunity to improve the game a bit.

Regarding the length of tenure at positions, this is regarding high level or D1 jobs. I do not see people clamoring to take over Kennesaw State in D2 of Bethel in D3. The simple fix to allow coaches in these positions to be fired, but its not that simple. When you are talking about a small player base crappy experiences like injuries or getting fired from your dream job can drive people away (a luxury we do not really have right now considering most worlds are around 30% full). Also when firing someone, there needs the expectations be crystal clear (such as make the sweet 16 in the next three years), not some success score or prestige score that isn't 100% transparent to players. So we are talking about is a complete overhaul of how coaches (potentially) get and keep jobs whether its contract based, promises to the schools can be made during the applications process, etc. This is something that I am looking for the Gridiron Dynasty rewrite we are currently designing.
2/18/2021 1:22 PM
Now that the game has been getting the attention it needed for so long, a new world would be a great opportunity for coaches new and old. I have been here for 13 years and nothing can replicate when Phelan was added and everyone was on even ground. That D3 would be packed for a season and all the great coaches of this game could compete on even ground before moving to wherever they wanted.

And for the junkies of us here I wish it would be a 2X day world.

Just nice after all this time, with great thanks to those involved, that the game is still trying to be improved.

Note: Limits would be nice. The stranglehold some have on the A/A+ D1 teams makes it very hard to ever crack.
2/18/2021 1:26 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.