The Left Cancels Dr. Seuss Topic

3/2/2021 6:40 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 3/2/2021 6:32:00 PM (view original):
just out of curiosity, does anyone look at a Dr Seuss book and think hhhmm, there are very few people of color in this book..guess it's okay to be racist?
Probably the same person who thinks a child would actually try dropping an anvil off a cliff on to someone else.
3/2/2021 7:28 PM
This isn’t canceling anybody and, as usual, guitarfraud has another extremely bad faith argument based a on a fallacy. It’s a PRIVATE CORPORATION making their own decision to move their corporate image to something more in line with modern values. Get over yourself son. Pull your pants up and act like a big boy.
3/2/2021 7:54 PM
Posted by all3 on 3/2/2021 7:28:00 PM (view original):
just out of curiosity, does anyone look at a Dr Seuss book and think hhhmm, there are very few people of color in this book..guess it's okay to be racist?
Probably the same person who thinks a child would actually try dropping an anvil off a cliff on to someone else.
More like the CHILD who whipped a brick off an overpass and killed someone. That’s real life and you’re still a dumbass.
3/2/2021 7:56 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 3/2/2021 7:56:00 PM (view original):
More like the CHILD who whipped a brick off an overpass and killed someone. That’s real life and you’re still a dumbass.
That 'child' was 16 y.o. and got off scott free.. thanks to his slick lawyer
3/3/2021 6:53 AM
Oh man, remember when conservatives got in a tizzy because they made a Lorax movie? Good times
3/3/2021 8:49 AM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 3/3/2021 6:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rsp777 on 3/2/2021 7:56:00 PM (view original):
That 'child' was 16 y.o. and got off scott free.. thanks to his slick lawyer
My point is that his anvil comment is tone deaf, dumb and simply not true. And it goes to this subject because it shows how IMPRESSIONABLE children can be. After the man was killed in Flint there were at LEAST two more similar incidents in the following months. Where do you think THOSE kids got the idea?

This is an article about one incident and includes links to two others JUST around the Detroit/Toledo area and it's from THREE YEARS AGO...

Brick hits man's windshield on I-94 in Detroit
By: Randy Wimbley
Published: January 23, 2018

DETROIT (WJBK) - A driver on Interstate 94 got a scare Monday after a brick crashed through his windshield.

"I could've been seriously injured or killed by this," says Anthony Smith. "They could've really hurt somebody."

Smith says he's lucky to be alive after someone dropped a brick on his windshield. It happened on westbound I-94 and Van **** late Monday morning.

"Right before, I noticed people overhead on the overpass," he says. "I didn't think anything of it. I kept going and then I saw something come over."

Smith pulled over soon after to assess the damage. He then called Michigan State Police. He says a piece may have also struck a second car.

"I believe another car got hit because I saw him swerve a lot, but he kept going," Smith says.

In October, a Genesee County man was killed when police say teens dropped a large rock from an overpass in Flint.

Then, in December, a Macomb County man was killed after police say teens dropped a sandbag from an overpass in Toledo.

The teens in both cases are facing murder charges.

And if anybody has actually looked at the images that were specifically cited by Disney it's hard to argue that they're not stereotypical and questionable.

Dr. Seuss Enterprises, which manages his publishing catalogue, says it made the move to protect and preserve the author’s legacy.

“These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,” the business said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ catalog represents and supports all communities and families.”

3/3/2021 9:36 AM (edited)
I'll fix that for you: "The capitalist enterprise responsible for publishing and selling Dr. Seuss's books decided to pull six marginal titles - most of which no one ever knows about - from their canon, because they represent dated, possibly offensive, cultural norms that no longer represent the values of their customer base."

Think before you speak dude. You just make yourself look like even more of an ignorant *** than usual when you post thread titles like this.
3/3/2021 9:43 AM
what the capitalist enterprise should do is commission some black and asian caricaturists to revise the racist illustrations
3/3/2021 10:13 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bagchucker on 3/3/2021 10:13:00 AM (view original):
what the capitalist enterprise should do is commission some black and asian caricaturists to revise the racist illustrations
Oooooooo.......Burn.
3/3/2021 11:34 AM
Posted by contrarian23 on 3/3/2021 9:43:00 AM (view original):
I'll fix that for you: "The capitalist enterprise responsible for publishing and selling Dr. Seuss's books decided to pull six marginal titles - most of which no one ever knows about - from their canon, because they represent dated, possibly offensive, cultural norms that no longer represent the values of their customer base."

Think before you speak dude. You just make yourself look like even more of an ignorant *** than usual when you post thread titles like this.
It amazes me that reasonable people can't see how dangerous this is and where it may lead. If everything ended with these 6 books then, fine, I can agree that this is not that big of a deal. However -

The left is not going to stop. What was fine 10 years ago is racist/sexist now. This trend will continue and it will accelerate. Soon enough, our culture will be completely remade, our traditions will be reinterpreted and condemned. This is a power play, and I might recommend a little Nietzsche to your diet to better understand our future.

No society can last the kind of cultural assault the left is currently deploying. Either it will be completely remade or it will crumble.

Here's my bet. These two trends will absolutely continue and they are intimately related: 1. Things will continue to get worse (define worse in a normal way: people less happy, society less productive, less order, more crime, less education) and 2. The left will continue to become more and more powerful (their control over the media, social media, and the government will only heighten).
3/3/2021 12:22 PM
Actually, in terms of relevant works of literature, I would recommend The Captive Mind by Czeslaw Milosz ... scarily relevant in the woke era
3/3/2021 12:33 PM
1. You have no solution for any of this, even if it was a problem.
2. I'm not sure why 6 Dr. Seuss books not being published materially impacts my quality of life and increases crime, but whatever.

We can look to actual policies that cause all of those negative outcomes. I promise you that there are more important factors than Dr. Seuss.
3/3/2021 12:58 PM
That's the thing though. You never look at the policy. You never offer solutions. You just complain.
3/3/2021 12:59 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The Left Cancels Dr. Seuss Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.