New User Promotion coming 3/11 Topic

Hello everyone!!!

We will be kicking off a promotion starting next week with the upcoming March Madness tournament, after our next patch on 3/11. The promotion will be for new users and returning users (users that haven't made a purchase in HD 2 years). The promotion will be 5 seasons for $12.95 (price of 1 season). I don't have the promo codes yet.

The objective here is the combat the new player buy in where you really don't start getting credits until you are established or get lucky taking over a good school. That combined with the ability to climb to D1 faster I believe we have a very good shot at growing our community.

I will be putting out an announcement to drive people to the forums and the discord to learn, find mentors, etc.

This promotion will be aimed for a month, but if we see success getting new users "hooked" this 5 for 1 promo may become our default new user promotion.

Thank you all for being amazing in this community!

-Adam
3/3/2021 1:44 PM
This is great, thanks, Adam!
3/3/2021 2:21 PM
I'm excited. Ill be spreading the word.
3/3/2021 2:54 PM
I'll clear my schedule. Gonna be a busy week!

good stuff in the making!
3/3/2021 2:56 PM
Can we talk about the 3/11 patch and what it might contain? Haha. This is a really good idea though. I'm excited to see this user base grow!
3/3/2021 3:42 PM
Posted by mlitney on 3/3/2021 3:42:00 PM (view original):
Can we talk about the 3/11 patch and what it might contain? Haha. This is a really good idea though. I'm excited to see this user base grow!
Yes, its a really small patch because it was only a 3 week iteration.
3/3/2021 4:27 PM
New Users obsession with getting to DIV I as quickly as possible needs to be "combated". The addiction to this game comes from the intricacies within the game. You can only learn them by playing. Because going 5-22 either at PO DUNK State, Montana State, or Duke is still the same. It sucks. And when you suck, you will eventually stop playing.
3/4/2021 2:41 PM
Very excited about actual promotion. This has been lacking for a long time.
3/6/2021 4:18 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 3/4/2021 2:41:00 PM (view original):
New Users obsession with getting to DIV I as quickly as possible needs to be "combated". The addiction to this game comes from the intricacies within the game. You can only learn them by playing. Because going 5-22 either at PO DUNK State, Montana State, or Duke is still the same. It sucks. And when you suck, you will eventually stop playing.
Ya, I'm curious where they're drawing the line at being qualified for DI. It doesn't bother me if it's made a little easier. I just don't think coaches without much success should be advancing very quickly.
3/6/2021 4:46 PM
No. This is a bad take.

It’s one thing to encourage folks to take their time, learn the game. That’s wonderful. It’s quite another to design a game in a way that forces users to spend a lot of time and money before they can advance at the pace of their own choosing, especially in a game with multiple worlds where users are only “new” once, but treated new, and face the same long wait in each world they join.

Everyone is different. Some folks don’t need 8+ seasons in lower divisions before they are ready to not “suck” at D1. And some folks don’t mind “sucking” a little, if they get to be where they want to be, and do what they want to do. I mean, this is the same idea behind letting users recruit their own players in their first season, too. The point is that facing a steep paywall and years-long wait time to even qualify to compete for the March Madness they probably know is not a good customer retention strategy.
3/6/2021 6:13 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/6/2021 6:13:00 PM (view original):
No. This is a bad take.

It’s one thing to encourage folks to take their time, learn the game. That’s wonderful. It’s quite another to design a game in a way that forces users to spend a lot of time and money before they can advance at the pace of their own choosing, especially in a game with multiple worlds where users are only “new” once, but treated new, and face the same long wait in each world they join.

Everyone is different. Some folks don’t need 8+ seasons in lower divisions before they are ready to not “suck” at D1. And some folks don’t mind “sucking” a little, if they get to be where they want to be, and do what they want to do. I mean, this is the same idea behind letting users recruit their own players in their first season, too. The point is that facing a steep paywall and years-long wait time to even qualify to compete for the March Madness they probably know is not a good customer retention strategy.
So what's the right balance? Should success play into it? Or should success only play into it if multiple coaches are competing for the same job?
3/6/2021 6:18 PM
Posted by tiweav01 on 3/6/2021 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 3/6/2021 6:13:00 PM (view original):
No. This is a bad take.

So what's the right balance? Should success play into it? Or should success only play into it if multiple coaches are competing for the same job?
For the majority of D1 jobs, the latter, I think. For B- and above baseline prestige programs (so the power conferences and some top mid-majors) I can see holding out higher standards, that’s fine. And certainly for the A+ teams sure. But for Prairie View and Grambling and Montana and New Hampshire? What’s the purpose of keeping them behind a paywall if users want to coach them, when they’ve been simmed in most worlds for dozens of seasons, if not more?
3/6/2021 7:13 PM
Great idea, especially for those of us on a limited budget. It comes at a great time.
3/6/2021 11:52 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This is a great take!

Don't listen to shoe. What does he know? Rushing to D1 will get you crushed on your own. If a coach is lucky enough to have someone reach out and show them the ropes, then cool. They'll have the inside track. But experience is key. People are obsessed with the letterhead (the team name). Only difference is, the D3 and D2 letterhead doesn't have baseline prestige, you can actually recruit on somewhat equal footing. Giving false hope of "come to D1 and play at your dream school" when that school has been occupied by the same coach for 5+ real life years is deceiving anyways. No one is rushing in this game to get to Prairie View A&M. They are rushing to get to Texas A&M. But some vet has them and likely isn't going anywhere soon.

As far as the money issue, it's irrelevant. For two reasons. 1) the kind of coaches that will stick around, will love this game no matter the cost (to an extent. If it's $8, $12, or $15 dollars a season, love for the game is love for the game). And then 2) in the lower levels it's easier to build consistency. Not necessarily an "easier game". But much easier to build credits and compete. Which will ease the blow on the wallet. If money IS an issue for a new coach, he's not going to get any help with that rushing to D1 and losing more often

If you learn to walk first, learning to run will come natural. Not the other way around.
3/8/2021 4:06 AM (edited)
123 Next ▸
New User Promotion coming 3/11 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.