New User Promotion coming 3/11 Topic

Posted by topdogggbm on 3/8/2021 4:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by skinndogg on 3/4/2021 2:41:00 PM (view original):
New Users obsession with getting to DIV I as quickly as possible needs to be "combated". The addiction to this game comes from the intricacies within the game. You can only learn them by playing. Because going 5-22 either at PO DUNK State, Montana State, or Duke is still the same. It sucks. And when you suck, you will eventually stop playing.
This is a great take!

Don't listen to shoe. What does he know? Rushing to D1 will get you crushed on your own. If a coach is lucky enough to have someone reach out and show them the ropes, then cool. They'll have the inside track. But experience is key. People are obsessed with the letterhead (the team name). Only difference is, the D3 and D2 letterhead doesn't have baseline prestige, you can actually recruit on somewhat equal footing. Giving false hope of "come to D1 and play at your dream school" when that school has been occupied by the same coach for 5+ real life years is deceiving anyways. No one is rushing in this game to get to Prairie View A&M. They are rushing to get to Texas A&M. But some vet has them and likely isn't going anywhere soon.

As far as the money issue, it's irrelevant. For two reasons. 1) the kind of coaches that will stick around, will love this game no matter the cost (to an extent. If it's $8, $12, or $15 dollars a season, love for the game is love for the game). And then 2) in the lower levels it's easier to build consistency. Not necessarily an "easier game". But much easier to build credits and compete. Which will ease the blow on the wallet. If money IS an issue for a new coach, he's not going to get any help with that rushing to D1 and losing more often

If you learn to walk first, learning to run will come natural. Not the other way around.
How are new coaches going to be recruiting D3/D2 on equal footing? They certainly won't know about pulling down D1 recruits. The only ways to learn this game are to (1) get a mentor or spend a lot of time researching the forums or (2) play enough seasons to learn your own lessons. Why not let people do either of these at D1 if they really want to?

Earning credits for new players is mostly going to come from building a decent team in an all-sim conference, which is probably more easily accomplished at D1, where they'll have a slight advantage over D2/D3 programs. But they'll need to first learn how to put a good team together and I don't really see why D1 is much different than D2/D3 for this purpose.

3/8/2021 9:45 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 3/8/2021 4:06:00 AM (view original):
New Users obsession with getting to DIV I as quickly as possible needs to be "combated". The addiction to this game comes from the intricacies within the game. You can only learn them by playing. Because going 5-22 either at PO DUNK State, Montana State, or Duke is still the same. It sucks. And when you suck, you will eventually stop playing.
This is a great take!

Don't listen to shoe. What does he know? Rushing to D1 will get you crushed on your own. If a coach is lucky enough to have someone reach out and show them the ropes, then cool. They'll have the inside track. But experience is key. People are obsessed with the letterhead (the team name). Only difference is, the D3 and D2 letterhead doesn't have baseline prestige, you can actually recruit on somewhat equal footing. Giving false hope of "come to D1 and play at your dream school" when that school has been occupied by the same coach for 5+ real life years is deceiving anyways. No one is rushing in this game to get to Prairie View A&M. They are rushing to get to Texas A&M. But some vet has them and likely isn't going anywhere soon.

As far as the money issue, it's irrelevant. For two reasons. 1) the kind of coaches that will stick around, will love this game no matter the cost (to an extent. If it's $8, $12, or $15 dollars a season, love for the game is love for the game). And then 2) in the lower levels it's easier to build consistency. Not necessarily an "easier game". But much easier to build credits and compete. Which will ease the blow on the wallet. If money IS an issue for a new coach, he's not going to get any help with that rushing to D1 and losing more often

If you learn to walk first, learning to run will come natural. Not the other way around.
Two things. Just remember the difference between *encouraging* users to take their time - which is fine - and *forcing* them to, which is dumb. Related, there are 10 worlds a user is “new” to. But a user learns the game one time. Even if we accept that users are “better off” spending x amount of seasons in lower divisions, and even if we could agree on what x is, the policy of applying forced stratification in every world a user joins is ridiculous. It discourages adding worlds, and harms retention.

Relaxing those barriers is unquestionably a good decision, though it still remains to be seen whether they’ve gone far enough yet.
3/8/2021 11:20 AM
I don't think adding worlds is a good idea either tho
3/8/2021 9:56 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 3/8/2021 9:56:00 PM (view original):
not even 1?
3/9/2021 12:22 AM
If you’re saying we should be discouraging users from playing in more than one world, this went from a bad take to a hide-your-face-in-shame take. If that’s not what you meant, please clarify context in this discussion.
3/9/2021 2:15 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/9/2021 2:15:00 AM (view original):
If you’re saying we should be discouraging users from playing in more than one world, this went from a bad take to a hide-your-face-in-shame take. If that’s not what you meant, please clarify context in this discussion.
I think he means.. How many people currently play all ten worlds and would maintain that AND add an 11th.

That is the only NEW revenue. Adding new worlds where there is no new revenue is counter productive becuase it requires more work hours and physical resources to maintain (ie, costs WIS more) while not adding in more revenue.

Adding a new world that cannibalizes other worlds helps nothing and is counter productive.
3/9/2021 12:14 PM (edited)
I think you would get some additional revenue from a new world, but I don't know how long it will last. There will certainly be a rush to join and race to your dream job. But at some point, I think most users might decide whether they want to continue in the new world or maybe quit one of the older worlds. Most users are already coaching their limit whether its due to time or money constraints.
3/10/2021 9:59 AM
where can i find the promotion code
3/11/2021 9:27 AM
New users is Madness21

Returning users (haven't purchased a season since 3/11/19) is Return2HD
3/11/2021 10:08 AM

I refuse to play any 1 a day world's. It is too dang slow. I know for budget reasons this may help some people, but I would even prefer a 3 a day world like we have in WIS baseball. Anybody got the stats of the avg. # of users in 2 a day world vs. avg. users in the 1 a day worlds?
3/11/2021 4:38 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 3/11/2021 4:39:00 PM (view original):

I refuse to play any 1 a day world's. It is too dang slow. I know for budget reasons this may help some people, but I would even prefer a 3 a day world like we have in WIS baseball. Anybody got the stats of the avg. # of users in 2 a day world vs. avg. users in the 1 a day worlds?
World population data...

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=525638
3/11/2021 5:51 PM
Posted by tiweav01 on 3/6/2021 4:46:00 PM (view original):
Ya, I'm curious where they're drawing the line at being qualified for DI. It doesn't bother me if it's made a little easier. I just don't think coaches without much success should be advancing very quickly.
Experienced coaches who know what they are doing, grab the right teams, and make postseason runs could technically do it in 2 seasons (1 in DIII, 1 in DII), but it would take 2-4 wins each year in the NT.

Most will probably be able to make it in 4-8 seasons.

3/12/2021 9:12 AM
Posted by adlorenz on 3/12/2021 9:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tiweav01 on 3/6/2021 4:46:00 PM (view original):
Ya, I'm curious where they're drawing the line at being qualified for DI. It doesn't bother me if it's made a little easier. I just don't think coaches without much success should be advancing very quickly.
Experienced coaches who know what they are doing, grab the right teams, and make postseason runs could technically do it in 2 seasons (1 in DIII, 1 in DII), but it would take 2-4 wins each year in the NT.

Most will probably be able to make it in 4-8 seasons.

Thanks for this clarification. This feels about right, I think I’ve said before, a D2 Elite 8 run, even if it’s in the user’s 2nd season overall, should be enough to get the attention of a D- small conference school that has been sim run for decades. If that’s where a user wants to build their career, why block it?
3/12/2021 10:48 AM
I wouldn't mind some sort of system that allows for coaches with 20+ seasons to skip straight to one of the lowest D1 programs. They would need to spend some time in D2 to qualify for a mid-major. I don't really the see point in experienced coaches having to wade through D3 and D2 if they prefer to coach D1. But with the new changes, 2-3 seasons isn't a huge deal so no complaints here.
3/12/2021 1:22 PM
Adam,
I posted this in the other thread also, but is there going to be a targeted email to lapsed HD users? It's an easy way to get this in front of you low hanging fruit of people who have played before.
3/12/2021 1:41 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
New User Promotion coming 3/11 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.