tang's "Change My Mind" thread Topic

Posted by tangplay on 3/28/2021 1:10:00 AM (view original):
Why don't you want criminals voting? Just saying that you don't want it isn't an argument. You didn't have a logical process. You stated the conclusion but not the premise.

Let's set aside jailed populations voting (even though I still advocate for that) and just focus on felon disenfranchisement. Here's my logical process.

1. Ex-felons pay taxes.
2. Ex-felons are affected by government decisions.
3. Taxation without representation is immoral, and citizens affected by government policy should have an opportunity to change said policy.
Thus, conclusion: Ex-felons should be able to vote.

As for the death penalty, I'm sorry but you're factually wrong. Implementation of the death penalty does NOT deter murder. We can look at this empirically and though study - for example, after the Furman v Georgia decision put a temporary halt to executions, the murder rate did not rise. Furthermore, we can analyze deterring factors and the risk of being caught vastly outweighs the potential punishment. People just don't consider the death penalty when committing crimes - because they either don't care or don't think they will be caught.
Ok I have outlived most of you guys by maybe 40 years, but you have all the answers.. (None of which make sense) You think you are educated, but instead you have been systematically indoctrinated.. and perhaps some of you work for 'them' spreading rubbish in chatrooms, and then name calling anyone who dares to disagree with you. It is called suppressing the truth. Good luck with all this
4/20/2021 4:08 PM
OMG.

Dudette, speaking just for me.

I'm way past 65 years old, have 4 stents in my heart, have LIVED in a variety of states and amongst a variety of peoples.
I'm immune to indoctrination by anybody or any ideology.

And I submit in ALL CANDOR, it is YOU, my Canadian brother, who is so (obviously) indoctrinated in ideology you can't view the world for the biases you possess due to your self aggrandizing belief system you bought hook, line, and sinker.

You, Sir, are a religious bigot.
And a PERFECT example of a sheep in full Baa!
4/20/2021 5:43 PM
what he said ^^^^^
4/20/2021 7:17 PM
Note that he never engaged with the argument. It was just "I'm older and you're indoctrinated."

That's how a sheep thinks. Don't engage with the opposite worldview. Just dismiss it.
4/21/2021 8:21 AM
Posted by laramiebob on 4/20/2021 5:43:00 PM (view original):
OMG.

I'm way past 65 years old, have 4 stents in my heart, have LIVED in a variety of states and amongst a variety of peoples.

And I submit in ALL CANDOR, it is YOU, my Canadian brother, who is so (obviously) indoctrinated in ideology you can't view the world for the biases you possess due to your self aggrandizing belief system you bought hook, line, and sinker.

Jesus did say ' I know my sheep and they follow me ' So BAAA ck at ya

You cannot see the big picture, because you have a secular world view. That is not a bad thing, just a fact

and BIGOT is not applicable to those who believe in God.
4/22/2021 1:08 PM (edited)
BS!! BIGOT is especially applicable to people who Believe!
4/22/2021 2:13 PM
So you think Baptists or Catholics make more assumptions about Muslims (for example) than Athiests make about them? If so, I disagree. Most Athiests are ignorant or ill-informed about most Religions, so they tend to be quicker to make assumptions about any and all of them.
4/22/2021 3:36 PM
Atheism IS a belief.
4/22/2021 4:22 PM
indeed

also, my personal opinion, the bravest and truest

its scary out there

spinnin on a rock in the blackest of badlands

showered by that cold star light whose soul purpose is to blow away my skin my bones my brains and my faith

it's pretty awesome

the A-bomb

zealots should try it

see if they can handle it
4/22/2021 4:54 PM
Posted by Aldershot on 4/22/2021 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by laramiebob on 4/20/2021 5:43:00 PM (view original):
OMG.

Jesus did say ' I know my sheep and they follow me ' So BAAA ck at ya

You cannot see the big picture, because you have a secular world view. That is not a bad thing, just a fact

and BIGOT is not applicable to those who believe in God.
bigot is applicable to some who believe in God, just like it is applicable to some who don't believe in God. If you think belief in God automatically makes one a good person, you are quite delusional.
4/22/2021 4:54 PM
The more I read about charter schools, the more indefensible they become. Holy ****, they're so bad in every way.

Another example of privatization being really, really bad for America.
5/19/2021 12:48 AM
Charter schools = "select" student population. Without VERY aggressive oversight (on a State level) Charter schools become a place for the privileged to send their children to schools they KNOW ahead of time will "favor" their children. It is indeed an idea that is terribly flawed in its execution.
5/19/2021 8:39 AM
That's not actually true, to my surprise. There's actually an about similar distribution of rich to poor in charter schools as in public schools. The problem is that charter schools are far more segregated - you're far more likely to have an all rich or all poor (or all white and all black) charter school than public school.

Richer and whiter schools tend to be better funded and perform wayyy better. What a shock.

Not to mention the million other ways charter schools are flawed.
5/19/2021 9:58 AM
◂ Prev 12345
tang's "Change My Mind" thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.