Gillispie's Dynasty Rankings Website Topic

Here is the HD dynasty rankings I put together. This is the same as the coach_billyg dynasty rankings I have posted from time to time over the past decade (with some minor updates); with the one major difference being that it updates regularly and automatically now!

Most folks will be looking for the top 50 rankings for their world. To see those: Select 'Current Dynasties' in the top left box, then 5 seasons, then the world of your team, and finally your division. Hit 'GO!'

http://collegedynasty.com/
3/19/2021 11:13 AM (edited)
reserved
3/15/2021 11:58 AM
Change Log:

3/15/21 - 1.0 version of the website - http://collegedynasty.com/

- includes current and all time dynasty rankings for programs and conferences, as well as the longest streaks stuff (most consecutive NT appearances etc)

- updates automatically every Tuesday morning at midnight. should complete prior to 2am (and therefore includes data through Monday post season completions). currently up to date, with data from 3/15 at midnight

- please let me know if anything seems out of sorts, there were a bunch of changes recently and not very many eyes on it. i'll improve the interface some over time, but feel free to pass on usability suggestions as well as any questions or comments on the rankings themselves
3/15/2021 12:18 PM (edited)
Future Improvements: (maybe)

1) Single record per school limitation - all the all time stuff (all time dynasties, longest streaks) uses a simplification to make the calculations easier; the simplification was assuming there's only be 1 great run per school, or if there were 2, it was likely the same coach and they only needed to show up once anyway. This was a fine assumption 10 years ago, but no longer (e.g. if school X had an amazing run with coach A at season 20 and an amazing run with coach B at season 110, only the better of those two can show in the all time dynasty rankings)

2) Cascading dropdowns - replace the several clunky dropdowns with a slightly less clunky cascading dropdown or something

3) Coach search - begin the dynasty rankings process by entering your coach ID, which will find the rankings that ID is listed in and provide links (or something)

4) World pop data - include world population data and some other junk that i did not yet convert to the new format

5) Date to season mapping - include some concept of a date to season mapping that would allow things such as, world population data aggregated across all 30 division/worlds (10 worlds, 3 divisions), or something like a best programs of 3.0 list

6) Historical current dynasty lists - this may make no sense initially but basically, the idea would be, if you had an amazing run 26 seasons ago and want to know where you'd have ranked in the current dynasty lists at that time, like what your highest point on the dynasty rankings was. i would like to do this but its a bunch of effort and probably won't ever happen, but maybe?
3/15/2021 12:17 PM (edited)
reserved
3/15/2021 11:59 AM
reserved
reserved
reserved
reserved
reserved
ok i think that covers it. i'll keep tabs on any discussion here and loosely will maintain the to-do list and change log as things are tweaked over the years. feedback welcome - it will probably be a few weeks before i forget how all this works and get lazy about making changes - so now is a good time!
3/15/2021 12:24 PM
Awesome work, gil! Thanks for this!
3/15/2021 12:58 PM
Sweet. You can get a free SSL cert from LetsEncrypt.
3/15/2021 5:55 PM
Posted by Basketts on 3/15/2021 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Sweet. You can get a free SSL cert from LetsEncrypt.
of course i can, but to what end?

not to be a smart ***... i realized after the fact it sounds like a sharp question, but i didn't mean it that way, i mean in genuinely. its really a general question for anyone, anywhere. there's seemingly this push in the web security community to require SSL everywhere, and i am always left with the same question... why? and what about the old web?

i get that people are dumb and always will be dumb (which is the closest thing to a rationale i've heard for the above), but i'm just not sold on the costs vs the benefits on this one.
3/16/2021 11:26 AM (edited)
what is the definition of a dynasty?
3/16/2021 11:20 AM
1234 Next ▸
Gillispie's Dynasty Rankings Website Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.