Gillispie's Dynasty Rankings Website Topic

Posted by Duuude2 on 3/16/2021 11:20:00 AM (view original):
what is the definition of a dynasty?
nothing, its just a name for a rankings. when i first built this, i only ranked the top 100 programs in history, per division. so those really were true dynasties. but then most people didn't care about the rankings for obvious reasons. now it has a top 50 per world, per division. those are mostly not dynasties. but its still a 'program ranking', which doesn't exist otherwise (prestige kind of i guess, but not really).

mostly it all just runs over X number of seasons, like best programs over the last 5 seasons, last 10 seasons, last 20 seasons... etc
3/16/2021 11:27 AM
What is the world strength?

Also, this is sweet. Thanks for pulling together!
3/17/2021 11:42 AM
"...costs vs the benefits on this one."

Well the cost is free and the benefit is that I can go to the site without turning off security settings. Even if you aren't sharing sensitive data, it protects users against phishing attacks. No worries if you don't want to do it though.

You aren't being rude by asking, but it is a weird take to be anti-encryption. It's a good thing for users of the web!
3/17/2021 10:23 PM (edited)
Posted by Basketts on 3/17/2021 10:23:00 PM (view original):
"...costs vs the benefits on this one."

Well the cost is free and the benefit is that I can go to the site without turning off security settings. Even if you aren't sharing sensitive data, it protects users against phishing attacks. No worries if you don't want to do it though.

You aren't being rude by asking, but it is a weird take to be anti-encryption. It's a good thing for users of the web!
that's interesting, what are you hitting it from where you have to change security settings to get through? and did you set it that way yourself, or did it come that way?

the reason i ask is, i'm not aware of any major browser or platform where you'd be required to change a setting to hit the site (or just http in general), under default settings. i'm definitely curious to know if that is no longer the case.
3/18/2021 7:06 PM
Oh, you don't have to worry about that for default behavior. Our company is just strict and has shut off access to http (without special approval). Just an annoyance more than anything.

I don't have any issue at home aside from the standard not secure notice chrome pushed in version 68.
3/18/2021 9:43 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/17/2021 11:42:00 AM (view original):
What is the world strength?

Also, this is sweet. Thanks for pulling together!
world strength is a figure calculated per world-season (tark d1 150, rupp d2 86, etc) that basically was supposed to help offset having more or less competition over time / over different worlds. basically so that coaches in a 150 person world would get a small bump over those in a 100 or 50 person world.

some folks had done same-world rankings - i wanted to do cross-world rankings. and also cross-era. seemed like some sort of balancing measure was in order.
3/18/2021 11:29 PM
Posted by Basketts on 3/18/2021 9:43:00 PM (view original):
Oh, you don't have to worry about that for default behavior. Our company is just strict and has shut off access to http (without special approval). Just an annoyance more than anything.

I don't have any issue at home aside from the standard not secure notice chrome pushed in version 68.
got it, that makes sense. i was thinking it was probably your IT folks except for the bit about you being able to change them!

anyway, i am not anti-encryption. i am only anti-encryption as a (perhaps required) default for the security insensitive web - which includes many sites like mine which exchange 0 personal or sensitive information (the prime rationale for SSL other places - which i 100% support!). i thought about putting https on but i sort of was taking a moral stand - i mean, didn't plan on anyone bringing it up - it was supposed to be a private moral stand. but i like the idea of small websites using forced HTTP traffic to help stave off google requiring https for all chrome, or at least sans some ugly click-through that is barely click-through-able, in standard chrome fashion. obviously that's a pipe dream, but it made me feel a little better anyway?

anyway my real concern comes from this - i don't know if you have worked with IT folks and SSL certificates to have a sense of the ridiculous confusion that ensues. its really counter intuitive, but for a lot of folks who don't really know what they are doing, and for far too many who supposedly do, anything with SSL certs proceeds extremely dubiously (the second there is a problem, at least). plus they expire and have to be rotated frequently (every year now, as of several months ago). i know letsencrypt is supposed to be a lot easier, i've heard that from pretty confused folks, so it must be true. which is great! but for me, i've done a ton of stuff with SSL certs in infinitely more complex configurations, so it was never really about my 10 minutes (per year - and probably soon it will be months because why not?? its already dropped 3 years to 2 recently, and again 2->1 just end of 2020). anyway, its the old web that i worry about... a lot of it built and maintained by barely-technical folks. i can't get a 6 figure developer to look at an SSL error without wanting to stab them in the throat. its not just one either. its like... endemic to the industry. even the state of SSL implementation in programming languages and major tools is a mess - much better than 5 year ago - but its still a disaster, with probably a minority of those languages and tools even to this day having a complete and completely functional SSL implementation.
3/19/2021 11:58 AM (edited)
I completely agree. It didn't help that so many predatory practices sprung up around SSL certificates 5 years ago and beyond. People were paying insane money just because companies like Comodo told you that you had to. It was really funny when Let's Encrypt started becoming popular. How dare a nonprofit with an open source background disrupt a lucrative, scummy practice. Those companies and their sales reps were all over forums trying to spin their certs as somehow "more secure."

Anyway, definitely didn't want steer you away from any personal vendettas, nor detract from all the work you did (it's awesome). If you ever want to check out Let's Encrypt, I do feel like they are one of the good guys. Their certs renew more frequently (3 months I think), but the renewal is automated, simple, and verifies by domain.
3/19/2021 3:23 PM
Nice work. Thanks Gillispie !!
3/19/2021 10:27 PM
Cool
3/29/2021 12:55 AM
Thanks Gil... this is fun info. Does HD have a Reddit page? That might be a great format to use?
3/29/2021 11:13 AM
Very cool stuff. Thank you.
4/16/2021 9:04 AM
Just left maryland in wooden after a series of frustrating recruiting fails - #4 on 30 year list

need a list of dynasty departures

heading out to Wisconsin - new place - but same red colors - almost the same red
5/21/2021 9:17 PM
someone let me know this broke (thanks!!) - i will get it resolved in the next couple/few days - but for now it is not auto-updating for the past month or so
7/12/2021 11:02 AM
Posted by gillispie on 7/12/2021 11:02:00 AM (view original):
someone let me know this broke (thanks!!) - i will get it resolved in the next couple/few days - but for now it is not auto-updating for the past month or so
Yeah, I just noticed that the Allen rankings only go to season 122 while we're starting 125. Thanks for looking at this gill. I'm hoping my Georgia Tech team is on the 10-year list now haha.
7/26/2021 2:08 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Gillispie's Dynasty Rankings Website Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.