Stickball League HOF Committee Topic

Agreed with Pimp. I vote we just let him say that ASAP in World Chat.
2/23/2023 10:41 AM
That works for me, I'll evaluate those last two guys at some point this season so we can have some numbers to look at for next year
2/23/2023 12:24 PM
My initial thought on HoF:
Locks
-Rey Jung as a CF, great stats
-Miguel Margot RP- 7 Firemans
-Luther MacDougal RP- 7 Firemans

Other to discuss in my opinion:
George Paul
Dwayne Pillette 2B- back on the ballot somehow
Diego Trinidad
Phil Searle 2B
Renato Viriato
Bridger Presley
5/30/2023 9:46 AM
Posted by thebigdogs on 5/30/2023 9:46:00 AM (view original):
My initial thought on HoF:
Locks
-Rey Jung as a CF, great stats
-Miguel Margot RP- 7 Firemans
-Luther MacDougal RP- 7 Firemans

Other to discuss in my opinion:
George Paul
Dwayne Pillette 2B- back on the ballot somehow
Diego Trinidad
Phil Searle 2B
Renato Viriato
Bridger Presley
A quick overview of the stats that I have on people/to-do list for myself for Spring Training:
  • I don't have any data on Phil Searle yet. I'll get to that ASAP.
  • Rey Jung had 64 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 10.0 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • Miguel Margot had 122 Estimated and an Importance Score of 10.1 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • Luther MacDougal had 107 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 7.1 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • Dwayne Pillette had 81 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 4.8 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • George Paul had 46 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 12.7 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • Diego Trinidad had 49 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 13.5 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • Renato Viriato had 60 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 5.8 using that Estimated WAR total.
  • Bridger Presley had 63 Estimated WAR and an Importance Score of 11.3 using that Estimated WAR total.
Using Importance Scores from above, I would rank the players that pimp mentioned in the following order. This is also a reminder that the rule of thumb is generally that 10 points or more should eventually make it to the Hall:
  1. Diego Trinidad: 13.5 Importance Score
  2. George Paul: 12.7 Importance Score
  3. Bridger Presley: 11.3 Importance Score
  4. Miguel Margot: 10.1 Importance Score
  5. Rey Jung: 10.0 Importance Score
  6. Luther MacDougal: 7.1 Importance Score
  7. Phil Searle: 7.0 Importance Score
  8. Renato Viriato: 5.8 Importance Score
  9. Dwayne Pillette: 4.8 Importance Score
6/1/2023 7:17 AM (edited)
Yikes, my vacation really came at a bad time for the Stickball World. Can we please get a couple of locks nailed down muy pronto?
5/30/2023 6:32 PM
Yikes, my vacation really came at a bad time for the Stickball World. Can we please get a couple of locks nailed down muy pronto?
5/30/2023 6:32 PM
My top five are:

Rey Jung*
Brian Blair

Miguel Margot*
Renato Viriato*
Roosevelt Curtis

* locks
5/30/2023 7:14 PM
I came back to say that I think Jung and Margot should be locks, and it looks like those two are consensus picks so let's definitely go with them...how many locks do we want to present?
5/30/2023 7:16 PM
I think Margot, Jung and Viriato
5/31/2023 1:16 PM
Jung is, of course, an inner-circle HOF'er, no discussion needed there. Incredible player.

Margot a rockstar as well; my personal bar for closers is pretty high but he clears it, elite and dominant for a long period and got to ALMOST 1,000 innings. (McDougal does not, and the innings load - barely 750 - does play a big part in that)

Phil Searle is a fascinating case - not enough AB's - the counting stats just aren't there compared to pretty much any other HOF'er - but amazing offense and he at least faked 2b, CF, and 3B for stretches of his career. But even being a LF'er gives him positive positional value.

Leonys Nieves DOES have those counting stats, and rate stats that are essentially the same as Searle's. He played a pretty decent 1b so at least he wasn't a DH but not a ton of additional value there. IN general, he's the kind of player we want to stay away from because he's just another 1B bat - but he was a REALLY good 1B bat, .308/.391/.575 (.966 OPS overall).

Blair is basically Nieves but if he wasn't as good, and played a crappy LF instead of a good 1B. Can't see ever putting him in over Nieves, and I'm sorta meh on him overall.

Viriato! Rockstar pitcher (signed for something like $12 mil if I recall, one of the last great IFA steals in this world), a truly elite pitcher for a long time - suffered on the win totals but pretty much everything else is there.

I really like George Paul and that speed but an .866 OPS for a pure 1B is hard to put up against guys like Nieves and even Blair. The SB's are obviously important, and he hung around a LONG time so those counting stats (2800 hits!) are nice. BUt I think he's probably a discussion for another year, though the power/speed combo will always get him quick-glance votes.

In my mind, we'd do Jung and Margot as the locks, with Nieves and Viriato as recommends, and Searle as kinda same as last year, an interesting case, and can say "the committee also discussed McDougal, Paul, Blair..." kind of thing.
5/31/2023 2:49 PM
I can get behind that. FWIW, I just did the math on Searle and he ends up with a 7.0 Importance Score...that puts him 7th on the list I published before, right in between MacDougal & Viriato.
5/31/2023 8:20 PM
Been 24 hours since I posted so I'm gonna roll with that on the message board, if anyone has any issues hit me up!
6/1/2023 2:16 PM
Good with me.
6/1/2023 4:16 PM
Looks good
6/4/2023 5:20 PM
I know that the S61 World Series just wrapped up, but I'm going to post this list here quickly for future reference...I always like to start my HOF voting process by looking at the five guys who came the closest in the previous season without getting elected to see who deserves to get pushed across the line and where we might want to go in a different direction. Here's that list based on the Season 61 HOF voting results:
  1. Renato Viriato was 1 vote short of election (he got 16)...he has a 5.8 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
  2. George Paul was 3 votes short of election (he got 14)...he has a 12.7 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
  3. Leonys Nieves got 11 votes, putting him 6 short...he has a 10.0 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
  4. Adam Liebre and Phil Searle each got 5 votes, which puts them well short but also in a tie for 5th on this list so they'll both get some attention from me in the offseason...Searle has a 7.0 Importance Score with Estimated WAR and I don't have any data on Liebre yet
8/16/2023 11:18 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
Stickball League HOF Committee Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.