Stickball League HOF Committee Topic

That is so interesting. I didn't even have Diego Trinidad or Bridger Pressley as being in the Top 5. I did have Leonys Nieves as a Top 5 pick though, and I really wrestled with Adam Lieber.

So, it looks like we are going to have to hash out what to say here. I really DO think Nieves deserves a nod. It SEEMS like we might get a consensus on MacDougal.

That leaves Trinidad, Pressley, and Lieber as our alternates? I dunno ... I'll defer to the consensus.
12/18/2023 10:51 AM
Here is what I think we ought to vote on. Who are your TWO picks for a "lock" status?
  1. Diego Trinidad, 13.5 Importance Score
  2. Bridger Pressley, 11.2 Importance Score
  3. Leonys Nieves, 10.0 Importance Score
  4. Adam Lieber, 9.7 Importance Score
  5. Luther MacDougal, 7.1 Importance Score
I pick 3 and 5 as my locks. Now everybody please chime in with your picks. This will just be a straight vote, methinks. Thank you.
12/18/2023 10:53 AM
Klown voted 1 and 3.
12/18/2023 11:46 AM
I think my "locks" would be Trinidad and MacDougal, with my other votes going to Pressley, Nieves and Lieber.
12/18/2023 7:34 PM
Okay, so we have:

1. Trinidad (2 votes)
3. Nieves (2 votes)
5. MacDougal (2 votes)

I hope we get more input from the committee.
12/18/2023 7:41 PM
MacDougal my only lock vote.
12/18/2023 8:06 PM
4 of 7 voters say:

1. Trinidad (2 votes)
3. Nieves (2 votes)
5. MacDougal (3 votes)
12/18/2023 8:46 PM
Trinidad and Nieves
12/18/2023 8:56 PM
Trinidad and MacDougal
12/18/2023 9:59 PM
6 of 7 voters say:

1. Trinidad (4 votes)
3. Nieves (3 votes)
5. MacDougal (4 votes)

I think that is a wrap, then.
12/19/2023 11:07 AM
Looking at previous vote totals, the following are the five players on the ballot who have come the closest to election:
  • Leonys Nieves (16 votes) --> 10.0 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
  • Renato Viriato (9 votes) --> 5.8 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
  • Bridger Presley (8 votes) --> 11.2 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
  • Brian Blair (7 votes) --> No data yet
  • Adam Lieber (5 votes) --> 9.7 Importance Score with Estimated WAR
Just looking at those vote totals, my inclination is to say that Nieves would be a lock since he came so close and then I'd be tempted to make Presley a lock as well since his score is better than Nieves'.
3/19/2024 6:17 PM (edited)
Leonys Nieves had a 10.0 Importance Score. And, as stated above, Pressley had an even higher score. But I'd love to see where the other candidates on the new HOF list line up.

I mean Slim Stewart with his 260 career wins seems like a lock to me. Am I crazy to think this?

And Phil Searle, although not an excellent 2B, spent much of his career in that position and wasn't "terrible", statistically, there. I'd like to give special attention to middle infielders since they tend to get shorted in HOF voting.

And lest we forget the 9 Time All Star, Julio Hollands (3B), who played a mean 3B and stole 639 bases! Roice Howell (C) was very impressive.

Anyway, there are lots of choices this season. I think an importance score for the new top choices would be a good starting point.

-Stick
3/19/2024 6:31 PM
Here are the Importance Scores for all of the players mentioned above in order from largest to smallest:

Bridger Presley --> 11.2 Importance Score (LOCK?)
Julio Hollands --> 11.0 Importance Score (LOCK?)
Leonys Nieves --> 10.0 Importance Score (LOCK?)
Adam Lieber --> 9.7 Importance Score
Slim Stewart --> 7.2 Importance Score
Phil Searle --> 7.0 Importance Score
Renato Viriato --> 5.8 Importance Score
Royce Howell --> 4.9 Importance Score
Brian Blair --> 2.0 Importance Score

to be added: Markus Roth & primary positions
3/20/2024 6:34 AM (edited)
I have only looked at Pos players so far. I am struggling to come up with a Lock in my opinion. What about Markus Roth ? He has better stats then some CF's in the HoF.
3/19/2024 9:39 PM
To me, Nieves and Slim Stewart are no-brainers. I have been a big booster of Phil Searle for years, though I know his low counting stats turn some people off (His peak is SO high though). Markus Roth is kinda a weird one; he has the offensive numbers to make it for an up-the-middle skill position player, but at the same time he was misused as a 3B for a long time, leading to a kind of philosophical question about how we value player production on its face; like, should we hold his years playing a bad 3B against him because he never should have been there? Are they balanced out by the years he was also used as a 40-++ play 1b when he probably should have been playing LF or CF (and that's a defensible move regardless)? Anyway, I'd vote for him.
3/19/2024 11:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16 Next ▸
Stickball League HOF Committee Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.