This is an interesting progressive with lots of superstars and two franchises available. The rules are below. We are currently in the 1997 season and you can claim either of these teams for 98 or I can transfer the teams to you for 97. The franchises open are Detroit and Texas. Detroit is currently 23-38 and Texas is 31-30. I am running both franchises currently and think both can be competitive over the near term and both have great options in 2000 for strong twists. If you would like to claim either franchise, post here and sitemail me so I know you have interest. I will offer up a credit for a free team to anyone that takes either team as long as you commit to me that you plan on staying for at least five seasons.

The Detroit franchise have upcoming rights to Jeff Weaver, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman, Gabe Kapler, Brandon Inge, and Omar Infante to go with a current core group of A Rod, 1967 Al Kaline, Travis Fryman, Tino Martinez, Tony Clark, Chris Carpenter, Pat Hentgen, Esteban Loaiza, and 1987 Frank Tanana (full roster below). in 2000, potential twists for Detroit are Cabrera, Price, Kinsler, Victor Martinez or Verlander from 2015 (Verlander would only be able to pitch until 2005 and then you'd have to start him as a rookie in 2006) and Lolich, Freehan, Oglivie, Leflore from 1975.

The Texas franchise have upcoming rights to Michael Young, Hank Blalock, Travis Hafner, Mark Texeira, Jeff Zimmerman, and RA Dickey to go with a current core group of Ivan Rodriguez, Carlos Delgado, Vinny Castilla, Moises Alou, Gary Sheffield, Kevin Brown, Jeff Fassero, Kenny Roger, and 1988 Frank Tanana (full roster below). in 2000, potential twists for Texas are Beltre, Fielder, Hamilton, and Cole Hamels from 2015 and Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins, Toby Harrah, and Willie Davis from 1975.

This is a very interesting league with lots of options and trading potential.

The general concept is the league started with the 1985 season as a franchise league with a twist. Each franchise could twist two players from 1985 plus two players from their 1970 franchise teams and two players from their 2000 franchise team. For example, the Yankees twisted Clemens, Phil Niekro, Derek Jeter, etc. All of the twists progress one year at a time with the rest of the players.

The full set of rules list is below. The key rules that makes this league unique are the rules related to future/past/twist players. Send me a sitemail if you have any questions.

RULES
  • Draft: We draft to fill our rosters - if there are three openings, we draft three players.
  • Rights to rookies: The rights to rookie players belong to the team which he first has WIS eligibility. For example, Charlie Hayes is a rookie in WIS in 1989 and shows up under both Philadelphia and San Francisco. However, his first WIS eligibility season was with Philadelphia as his SF season was a combined season (he only had 5 at bats with SF then was was traded to Philadelphia).
  • Trading of rights to players: No trading of rights to players more than 1 year ahead starting in 1991. In the 1992 draft or season you can trade the rights to a player in 1993, but not the rights to a player in 1994. For example, the Atlanta franchise could not trade Javy Lopez (rookie in 94) during either the draft in 92 or the 92 season, but could trade him during the 93 draft or 93 season.
  • Trading of draft picks: No trading of draft picks more than two years ahead. For example, during either the 1992 draft or season you can trade 1993 or 1994 picks, but not 1995 picks.
  • Keepers relative to traded draft picks: For the 1992 draft and future, you must own the rights to a draft pick to trade it. For example, if you trade your 1st round pick in 93, then you must 24 have or fewer keepers for 93. If you trade your 2nd round pick, you must have 23 or fewer keepers. And so on. This is true even if you trade in the middle of the 1992 season. If you trade away your 3rd round pick in the middle of 92, you will only be able to have 22 keepers for 93. As an alternative to the above, if you traded your 3rd round pick during the season and you want to keep 23 players, you can provide a higher pick to the acquiring team (e.g., a 2nd round pick to replace the 3rd round pick).
  • Trades: Trades of any players are permitted within the constraints above. The one exception is that you cannot trade for a clone on the same team (see clone rule below).
  • Draft order: Draft order will be established at game 120 and will go from lowest to highest wins. For 1991 only, the wins minimum is 30 wins for top 3 pick. For 1992 and beyond, the wins minimum at game 120 is 40 to qualify for a top 3 pick.
  • Draft order tie breaker picks: Tie breaker for draft picks is now least runs allowed and if still tied (unlikely) then most runs scored (gets higher pick) at game 120.
  • Draft responsibilities:During the first round, a keeper is a keeper. If you see a veteran that is too good to be true, check the keepers list prior to selecting. If you select someone that was listed as a keeper, you will have to repick. In the second round, if someone selects a player that was a keeper and he was on the availables list, that player will go to the team that made the selection. So, the responsibility is that all owners must check to make sure their keepers have been removed from the availables list or be prepared to potentially lose a player. Waiting until the second round will give owners plenty of time to check their keepers.
  • Future Rule Changes: Future rule changes will require a consensus of 10 or more owners voting affirmatively to approve such a rule change.
  • Loopholes: The commissioner can amend rules to close off any unintended loopholes, as deemed by the commissioner. If the commish hears from 4 or more owners asking for such a loophole to be put to a vote, then it will go to a vote. If 10 or more owners vote down the loophole amendment provided by the commisioner, the loophole will remain open.
  • Rosters: Unlimited players may be kept on IR until they have an eligible season.
  • Future/Past/Twist players: These player progress one year at a time. Your players from the future will disappear when you reach their rookie season (If they come up with your team only). Example-say I'm the Braves, and I bring back Chipper, if he is still playing, when you run into his rookie year in 1995, you must re start him as a rookie and lose the other Chipper. But if you're NYY and bring back Clemens, it won't matter when he comes up as a rookie with Boston, because he won't bump into himself. In the Chipper example given above, the Braves could trade Chipper in 1994 to get some value prior to bumping into himself.
  • Future/Past players in the 2000 season: Before the 2000 season, you will go back to your team's 1975 season and grab 2 more guys, bring them back and go forward to 2015 and grab 2 guys from there as well, bring them all back to 2000. You can again start any of them at any point in time in their career and advance one year at a time. These future players have the same limitation as before, so choose carefully. Any player that played for your franchise in those seasons is eligible. For example, if the Giants choose Madison Bumgarner, they will lose him in 2009 when he enters the league with the Giants.
  • Future/Past players in the 2010 and 2020 season: Before the 2010 season, you will go back to your team's 1965 season and grab 2 more guys, bring them back and go back to the 1990 season and grab 2 guys from there as well, and bring them all back to 2010. You can again start any of them at any point in time in their career and advance one year at a time. Before the 2020 season, you will be able to bring back two players from your team's rosters in 1980 and 1995. These players have the same limitation as before, so choose carefully.
  • Clones: Clones are permitted in the league, but not on the same team. This is implied as noted above. As a point of clarification, you cannot trade to make clones or create a clone as a result of a trade. An example here is if the Yankees picked Arod in the 94 draft. They could not then twist him from their 2015 team and have a clone on the same team.
  • Tanking: Tanking is not allowed - Any accusation of tanking will result in the Commissioner and several other long-time owners, who are not in the same division, examining the results and determining the punishment (if any). Punishments, to include expulsion from the league, are possible. Please make sure any removal of good players has a sufficient reason. You should not have your best player/pitchers not play very much through game 120 to get a better draft pick. You should field your best team possible.
  • Stadiums: Stadiums are the stadium of your franchise. When the stadium changes for your franchise (Indians go to Jacobs Field in 94), the team may change to the new stadium. Once you change, you must stay in that stadium. You cannot flip back and forth.
The Basics

No WW
DH For all teams
4 AAA players will be drafted and may be used and may also be keepers in future seasons. WIS generated AAA are not permitted to be used.
Full or partial player seasons may be used.

The franchises we draft rookies from are:
Milwaukee
KC
Toronto
Seattle
Montreal
San Diego
Colorado
Florida
Arizona
Tampa
10/7/2021 2:53 PM (edited)
Are you all still waiting on someone for the Tigers? I would like a Tigers team.... I am a little worried the learning curve will be too steep as I'm still real new and am in the 6 team championship that is about to start... But, a Tigers team is so tempting too. I'll email
6/7/2021 12:23 AM
Hmm, I'm intrigued. A couple assumptions: (1) I have to keep all of my "past" players that are on the roster now or, if I cut them, I can't replace them with a different 'past' player; and (2) when we hit 2000 the past players on the roster go away if they're even still playing.
8/5/2021 12:45 PM
On #1, you can cut your past players at any time, but you can't replace them. So Rose could continue on well past 2000. Every ten years from here on out you will get new twists (2000, 2010, 2020), but your old twists can stay on (subject to the note below).

On #2, past players stay on as long as you want them to. The only exception is if you have a player that starts as a rookie on your team. For example, if you twisted Verlander in 2000, then when he came up as a rookie for Detroit in 2005, you would have to drop the old one. However, if a player comes up with a different team, then you can keep twists. See the "Clones" section of the rules for a more detailed explanation.

Happy to give you access to the forum if you would like to look around.
8/5/2021 7:58 PM
Cincinnati should also have a high pick (likely top 3) in the 1997 draft, which is loaded with good rookies....Vladimir Guerrero, Todd Helton, Chris Carpenter plus many others.
8/10/2021 9:54 AM
Yes. Draft order is set and Cincinnati has the third pick in the draft. As theluke notes, Vlad, Helton, Carpenter, Livan Hernandez, Derek Lowe, etc. Will get a stud this season and some good pieces in the next few rookie classes.
8/10/2021 7:13 PM
Getting ready to draft. Jump in now if you want to control your first round picks, especially the Cincinnati franchise as they have the 3rd pick in the draft.
8/13/2021 2:23 PM
Bump for draft is started. Cinci picked up a nice piece in Derek Lowe. Detroit picking this evening.
8/20/2021 3:04 PM
Cinci has been claimed. Detroit still open. First pick was Chris Carpenter, so a nice longer-term building block.
8/23/2021 2:35 PM
Bump for 98. Both teams have some stellar pieces now and some great pieces to add in the near future.
9/30/2021 10:49 AM
Is Detroit still available?
10/9/2021 10:19 AM
Detroit is still available.
10/9/2021 10:45 AM
Both Detroit and Cinci are claimed. The Pittsburgh franchise is now available (with Bonds).
10/10/2021 6:47 PM
Ill take the Pirates
10/12/2021 5:51 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.