HD Firings (take 2) Topic

Posted by texashick on 7/12/2021 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Great - I support this. Not needed immediately but I think it would be helpful if you add some time of countdown to the Home pages so people know when they are at risk of being fired.
Agreed. Maybe your tier's checklist. As you meet the conditions, they get checked.
7/12/2021 4:15 PM
Posted by wiredon65 on 7/12/2021 4:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mlitney on 7/12/2021 3:42:00 PM (view original):
Just to clarify, if this ends up being the final iteration, you will be evaluated at the end of year 7 to meet one of your objectives? So new coaches basically have 7 seasons?
That's how I am reading it.
Or do you have six seasons before the clock even starts?
7/12/2021 4:18 PM
Posted by mlitney on 7/12/2021 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Another suggestion, if it's not too late. Could you count a PIT championship as an NT appearance (1st round exit)? That would give teams another way to meet their goals while making the PIT somewhat exciting. It gives all those PIT teams something to play for. Isn't the PIT championship worth about the same as an NT 1st round exit for prestige calculation?
No.
7/12/2021 5:07 PM
Well done on evolving the idea, Adam and new guy (NG)! I think those are very reasonable expectations for those schools.
7/12/2021 5:08 PM
Posted by mlitney on 7/12/2021 3:42:00 PM (view original):
Just to clarify, if this ends up being the final iteration, you will be evaluated at the end of year 7 to meet one of your objectives? So new coaches basically have 7 seasons?
Correct. You are technically on clock day 1, and have 7 seasons to get your team in shape to meet at least one criteria to keep team. So you may possibly be fired after your 7th season.
7/12/2021 7:27 PM
On quick skim this seems to me to be a major improvement - thank you!

Takes into account a lot of the ideas and concerns that were expressed

One note - we need to keep in mind that the system is dynamic. The level of firings observed in retro actively applying these standards should be higher than observed prospectively - people will react and adjust to the standards. They may adjust recruiting - grab a couple juco's because I just have to get to the NT next season - dial back recruiting aspirations - I need to land some solid kids so I dont get fired, I can go for elite players next season - maybe even change jobs to get out of dodge before being fired.

Lots of dynamic adjustments by users -- which is the point of a game

Will study more carefully, but quick reaction is - Nice!
7/12/2021 8:06 PM
Very very well done. Truly awesome work guys.

Thanks for looking at the community's feedback and making a really comprehensive plan, and releasing some good data with it! This is what the game has always needed!
7/13/2021 12:26 AM
Posted by mlitney on 7/12/2021 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Another suggestion, if it's not too late. Could you count a PIT championship as an NT appearance (1st round exit)? That would give teams another way to meet their goals while making the PIT somewhat exciting. It gives all those PIT teams something to play for. Isn't the PIT championship worth about the same as an NT 1st round exit for prestige calculation?
this is a good idea IMO
7/13/2021 12:29 AM
Next question for Chris/Adam..... I'm not trying to be needy. We appreciate all you've done for the game. Not only the changes, but also for considering community input as well.

But what about world roll over? Is there any thoughts to addressing that? We have a bazillion things in this game that happen on time schedules..... recruiting cycles, grades every 6 days/games, etc. But the worlds never roll at 5am (est) like they used to. Adam has mentioned having to do those manually at times. Rupp didn't roll this morning....

Is this a "problem" for coaches? No not really. But I would assume that since so many other aspects of this game are set up on time increments, that this would be a super easy fix and fail in line with the way everything else is handled

Thanks!!
7/13/2021 6:29 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 7/13/2021 6:29:00 AM (view original):
Next question for Chris/Adam..... I'm not trying to be needy. We appreciate all you've done for the game. Not only the changes, but also for considering community input as well.

But what about world roll over? Is there any thoughts to addressing that? We have a bazillion things in this game that happen on time schedules..... recruiting cycles, grades every 6 days/games, etc. But the worlds never roll at 5am (est) like they used to. Adam has mentioned having to do those manually at times. Rupp didn't roll this morning....

Is this a "problem" for coaches? No not really. But I would assume that since so many other aspects of this game are set up on time increments, that this would be a super easy fix and fail in line with the way everything else is handled

Thanks!!
Its still an automated task, however there is a process on rollover that archives graduating/departing players and history and removes them from our database. This handles thousands of records simultaneously, so sometimes it is trying to delete a record being used by another process and gets locked out and fails. Its intermittent and hard to track exactly where it fails, and is likely different every time. The fix usually requires manual intervention to restart that process. I wish I could say I have I want to jump up at 5am when I get the automated alert it failed, but usually get to it around 730-8am when I jump online to start my day. We are making good progress with some of our operational improvements we have been working on this month. We have this on our short list of things to fix within next couple of weeks.
7/13/2021 8:32 AM
rollover isnt all that big a deal - but adding players to rosters, setting depth charts and practice and player game plans is a bit like the Christmas morning of HD
7/13/2021 11:06 AM
1. time frames and accomplishments seem reasonable to me

2. if applied, I bet - as I mentioned above - that folks will take action that will reduce the observed numbers of hypothetical firings - adjust recruiting to chase fewer elites - grab jucos - schedule easier.....leave before getting fired when a good gig opens

3. Some will say these criteria are too easy. I think they are not - they would fire folks who just dont get it done. But, if in practice it is too easy it is much easier to ramp up a notch than to launch, fire too many and then adjust

thank you guys!
7/13/2021 11:25 AM (edited)
i would like to hear about the tier list if possible. there were some suspicious missing schools like louisville, schools we believe meet the prestige requirements of the tiers (tier 2 in that case). i think some of the tier questions, we (the community, but also me personally) were mistaken on some of the baseline prestiges, and finding out that B- schools were intentionally left out kinda cleared up a lot.

however, i am curious with a school like louisville - are they intended to be in tier 2? is it an oversight or is there some reason they are missing?

just to re-iterate, nice job by the site staff in coming up with a solid version 2 of the proposal! thanks guys
7/13/2021 12:17 PM (edited)
I think this is a huge improvement and leads to more balanced and reasonable expectations. Also in favor of mlitney’s idea for NIT titles holding a little bit of weight.
7/13/2021 2:05 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...11 Next ▸
HD Firings (take 2) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.