Best year for new albums Topic

Bag I agree.

While i turned 12 in the early 80s (so, yeah I do have a soft spot for some songs that I would probably never like if I heard them for the first time today) I was turned on to Sabbath's Paranoid album at 13 and they're still my favorite band all these years later. I'm thankful that album opened my eyes to classic rock, or my jam might be men without hats...
8/2/2021 9:14 PM
Worms, I want to really give your list some consideration before making my selection on your poll, but my knee-jerk is 1991.
Imo Ten was head and shoulders better than any other grunge album. Lots of good grunge that year, and some other solid cds in your op from 1991. I'll look over them more closely this week and make a selection.
8/2/2021 9:18 PM
1991 definitely. Followed closely by 1994.
8/3/2021 9:09 AM
1994 has some epic albums too, and happens to be the year I graduated high school!

Some of the highlights:

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (only EP to ever reach #1 on Billboard charts)
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Portishead - Dummy (one of the most unique sounding bands ever. Criminally underrated!)
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (my favorite album from PJ)
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication (my least favorite album of theirs, but also produced their biggest hit: Sabotage)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (one of the most creative, and disturbing, concept albums ever. There's a reason Johnny Cash covered Hurt)
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Korn (debut)
Dave Mathews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Green Day - Dookie
Hole - Live Through This (I can't stand Courtney Love)
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Beck - Mellow Gold (Beck is one of my favorite artists and consistently produces diverse sounds)
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
The Crow soundtrack
Natural Born Killers soundtrack
Weezer - blue album
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
The Cranberries - No Need to Argue
Pink Floyd - Division Bell
Live - Throwing Copper
Tom Petty - Wild Flowers
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge
Tori Amos - Under the Pink
REM - Monster
Warren G - Regulate G Funk Era
Thug Life (2Pac side project)
Veruca Salt - American Thighs

I'm probably missing a few more but those are epic albums. 1994 saw the debut of Oasis, Beck, Bush, Portishead, Korn, Dave Mathews Band, Weezer, and Jeff Buckley's only album, some of my all-time favorite bands!
8/3/2021 2:19 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 8/3/2021 2:19:00 PM (view original):
1994 has some epic albums too, and happens to be the year I graduated high school!

Some of the highlights:

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Portishead - Dummy (one of the most unique sounding bands ever. Criminally underrated!)
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication (my least favorite album of theirs, but also produced their biggest hit: Sabotage)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (one of the most creative, and disturbing, concept albums ever. There's a reason Johnny Cash covered Hurt)
Korn (debut)
Green Day - Dookie
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Beck - Mellow Gold (Beck is one of my favorite artists and consistently produces diverse sounds)
The Crow soundtrack
Weezer - blue album
Live - Throwing Copper
Tom Petty - Wild Flowers
Bush - Sixteen Stone
REM - Monster

I'm probably missing a few more but those are epic albums. 1994 saw the debut of Oasis, Beck, Bush, Portishead, Korn, Dave Mathews Band, Weezer, and Jeff Buckley's only album, some of my all-time favorite bands!
That’s a very solid year, good call.

And 100% agree on Beck, he’s amazing, the closet artist our generation had to like Bowie or Prince with how diverse the music was. Midnite Vultures is so good.
8/3/2021 4:37 PM
A few more from 1994 that I find significant.

Brian Setzer Orchestra debut which was a very unique and fresh sound.

311 Grassroots

Blues Traveler 4 - Put them on the map and was pretty solid

Clapton - From the Cradle - one of my fav Clapton albums of all time

Ween - Chocolate & Cheese - An amazingly diverse record

Jamiroquai - The Return of the Space Cowboy
8/3/2021 6:20 PM
Posted by Uofa2 on 8/3/2021 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Got_Worms on 8/3/2021 2:19:00 PM (view original):

Some of the highlights:

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Korn (debut)
Green Day - Dookie
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Crow soundtrack
Weezer - blue album
Live - Throwing Copper
Tom Petty - Wild Flowers
Bush - Sixteen Stone
REM - Monster

That’s a very solid year, good call.

And 100% agree on Beck, he’s amazing, the closet artist our generation had to like Bowie or Prince with how diverse the music was. Midnite Vultures is so good.
Regardless of what Kanye says, Beck is an amazing artist! Guero and The Information are my two favorite albums of his.
8/3/2021 7:33 PM
brian setzer is a bad singer

that man can't hit a note to save his life
8/3/2021 7:37 PM
Posted by bruceleefan on 8/3/2021 6:20:00 PM (view original):
A few more from 1994 that I find significant.

Brian Setzer Orchestra debut which was a very unique and fresh sound.

311 Grassroots

Blues Traveler 4 - Put them on the map and was pretty solid

Clapton - From the Cradle - one of my fav Clapton albums of all time

Ween - Chocolate & Cheese - An amazingly diverse record

Jamiroquai - The Return of the Space Cowboy
311 Grassroots is a great album, can't believe I missed that!

Jamiroquai is a very underrated band!
8/3/2021 11:02 PM
Searched my music hard drive and found a few others, though most are probably not very well known.

Bela Fleck - Tales from the Acoustic Planet - Great fusion of Jazz and Bluegrass with exceptional musicianship.

Chris Duarte - Texas Sugar Strat Magic - Texas blues rock in the vein of SRV and Jonny Winter.

Prince - Black Album - A concerted effort to stray from pop and the result is a pretty solid and funky album.

Liu Sola - Very odd and unique blend of Chinese opera and American blues with some jazz and hip hop elements.
8/4/2021 9:21 AM
Posted by bruceleefan on 8/4/2021 9:21:00 AM (view original):
Searched my music hard drive and found a few others, though most are probably not very well known.

Bela Fleck - Tales from the Acoustic Planet - Great fusion of Jazz and Bluegrass with exceptional musicianship.

Chris Duarte - Texas Sugar Strat Magic - Texas blues rock in the vein of SRV and Jonny Winter.

Prince - Black Album - A concerted effort to stray from pop and the result is a pretty solid and funky album.

Liu Sola - Very odd and unique blend of Chinese opera and American blues with some jazz and hip hop elements.
These are from 1994? I don't remember that Prince album at all, and I'm a big fan!
8/4/2021 12:16 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Album_(Prince_album)
8/4/2021 1:59 PM
Posted by bruceleefan on 8/4/2021 1:59:00 PM (view original):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Album_(Prince_album)
I'll have to check that out. I've actually been listening to the Batman soundtrack lately!
8/5/2021 9:24 PM
8/6/2021 12:36 AM
Posted by Got_Worms on 7/17/2021 4:39:00 PM (view original):
I'm a little partial to 1992 just because the Singles soundtrack and Dirt completely flipped my musical taste and preference.

Plus, Beastie Boys - Check Your Head is my favorite album of theirs.

We were also introduced to Rage Against the Machine and Stone Temple Pilots that year!
Tool Opiate also.
8/6/2021 1:16 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Best year for new albums Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.