Improving the Sim ... let's have a discussion. Topic

Few points of disclaimer: I'm not associated with WIS in any way; this is purely a user-initiated survey, and no expectations of any change or improvements should come from this, as admin is not obligated to do anything here. I do think that providing them with structured feedback could be invaluable, and we haven't had anything like this in a long, long, long time.

I would ask a few things of you:

1. Copy & paste the questions I have posted and fill them out as thoroughly as you want.
2. Please refrain from personal attacks and slights with one another. Many of us have known each other for more than a decade and some have issues with one another. Forget that stuff; let's focus on the things we'd like to see improved with the sim.
3. Discussing people's answers is fine, as I think discussion is the best thing ever, but please keep it on topic, remember rule #2, and not demean people. I am never going to support removing clones from OLs, but I'm not going to **** on someone for suggesting that here.

Here are the questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long have you played WIS NBA Basketball?

What type of leagues do you primarily play (Open, Fun Themes, Competitive Themes, Progs, etc)?

What do you think is so important to fix that it needs to be prioritized first, even if it's just a band-aid fix?

What thing do you think needs to be completely re-worked, re-structured, and/or completely scrapped, keeping in mind that a new engine is almost certainly required for any major revolutionary change?

What other changes would you like to see? Go as crazy as you like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, please be respectful with your participation.
7/19/2021 7:40 PM

Off and on for about 15 years.

What type of leagues do you primarily play (Open, Fun Themes, Competitive Themes, Progs, etc)?

I've played in several different theme leagues. I really enjoy the tournaments.

What do you think is so important to fix that it needs to be prioritized first, even if it's just a band-aid fix?

Fix Bill Russell's defensive rating.

What thing do you think needs to be completely re-worked, re-structured, and/or completely scrapped, keeping in mind that a new engine is almost certainly required for any major revolutionary change?

Eliminate the arbitrary usage tier point system.

Allow league sizes different than 24. Rework how assist percentage impacts teams shooting percentage. Have salary updates each year (when the new season is added). The downloadable spreadsheet should have the advanced stats.
7/19/2021 8:06 PM
omg I just accidentally closed the window I had typed in my response in.
7/19/2021 8:07 PM
14 years.

I'm primarily a competitive theme player with a great interest in progs. I haven't played in any OLs since State Farm has gotten out of control.

State Farm exploit. I have another thread with a detailed fix, but that may be beyond the capabilities without rebuilding the engine. The band-aid fix suggested by user Benhoidal, capping the ast% bonus at 100%, seems ideal and should be put into place as quickly as possible.

Defensive Rating, Salary structure, and position effectiveness all need almost a complete overhaul in addition to the State Farm exploit. The game of basketball has changed, and the sim does not reflect it in the least. I will detail each of these in separate posts in this thread at a later time; I want to give the first page or two space for other questionnaire responses and other discussion instead of dominating the discussion right off the bat.

*Custom league sizes - 12 & 16 team options would be incredible.
*Refreshed record books (archive current ones) once State Farm exploit is fixed
*Champion leagues: If your team wins an OL, you're automatically entered (with that team) into a Champion League. Winner of that league gets a bigger prize, and keep track of CL titles.
*Better Normalization across eras - this includes fg% relative to league average and possibly threes. For example, if Bird played today, he'd shoot a ton more threes. An example of the former: if the league average was 45% and a guy shot 49.5%, his fg% should be 5% higher than whatever we're using for a base fg% now. Threes complicate things; this will be fleshed out later.
*Better sub-logic with custom lineups (clutch lineup, threes lineup). More stoppages of play to aid in sub logic.
7/19/2021 9:32 PM (edited)
Great idea Ash.
7/19/2021 8:30 PM
Champion leagues are an awesome idea.

State Farm has to be the first addressed issue. Right now, new users are really turned off by open leagues and who can blame them? Opens are entirely unrealistic, there's only one way to win, and the new users have no chance. Before State Farm, there were a few different approaches that could get you close, and while there were still cookie cutter teams in opens, they weren't the only way.

After that, I think adding All-defensive teams to pre-1969 seasons would be a better approach than singling out Bill Russell. Could even give 100D to all Defensive player of the Year winners.

Long term: Position effectiveness and normalization for older players need to be completely reworked.
7/19/2021 8:38 PM

Maybe 6-8 years, I am not really sure

Themes

I typically leave this to the users who really excel here, but from a business model perspective, fix wherever the bang for the buck is. If you are not retaining Open League customers and State Farm is the concern, then fix State Farm. I do not think there is a lot of turnover in the tenured owner section, so fix what makes people leave WISNBA first. If you find it in your heart that James Harden's defense should not be higher than Bill Russell, then please fix James Harden .

How defense is determined along with Position Effectiveness.

- I would like to see defensive ratings adjusted by Perimeter, Mid, and Paint.
- I have never really entertained the ideas of less than 24 owners in a league, but I like it
- More substitution settings. Lets see a rebounding lineup, a defensive lineup, a shootout lineup
7/19/2021 9:22 PM
First played in 2007 but didn't start playing a lot until 2010

Competitive themes. I would play OL more if it wasn't so terrible.

State farm exploit is probably the biggest. But I would also look at creating more diminishing returns on rebounding. There are too many formats where balanced teams give way to like 140% CREB just to stay competitive and that is stupid. There are so many cool historic NBA players that are rendered useless because the name of the game is min maxing.

Improved normalization logic for historic eras / depressing current era players. This has been done with great success in SLBaseball and the failure of it here results in leagues where there is maybe 1 guy from the 60s, a couple from the 70s and 2/3s of the league is from the last decade.

More gameplanning options, more sophisticated substitution rules, redux on defense and positions, champions league
7/20/2021 11:49 AM
Since 2003 - yeah, I'm old.

At this point, only competitive theme leagues.

Older players are at a HUGE disadvantage. Can we at least get the ones who deserve it their Defensive boost.

An efg "normalization" to make older players usable. If a guy's efg was 50% when the League's was 48%, shouldn't he be more valuable than a guy who shot 52% when the League shot 55%? (NOTE - all %s made-up to show the idea.)

Limit the effect of assists, or rebounds, or anything. Don't reward teams that unrealistically stockpile any one stat.
Oh yeah, definitely allow for variable size Leagues. WIS loses money AND customers get frustrated when a League gets 18-20 owners, then dies.
7/20/2021 1:46 PM
My user card says I joined in 2012
Themes mostly but I still dip my toe in open leagues to see what goes on and keep UpToDate with what the kids are doing these days
Ben’s band aid is as much as I dare expect from any admin action but it would go a long way addressing the noob onboarding woes (until the next exploit comes along) *

What thing do you think needs to be completely re-worked, re-structured, and/or completely scrapped, keeping in mind that a new engine is almost certainly required for any major revolutionary change
?

There is a treasury of ideas that resides in the suggestion forums that could be unearthed – era normalization, variable league sizes, time management opportunities like programmed official timeouts etc (‘Jerry Sloan-like!’ if I recall which goes to show how far back that one goes – before my time obviously)

Champion’s league is a cool idea
situational line-ups

*there will very likely be a next exploit (and one after that etc) and the development of the engine will be an evolution of course corrections involving a feedback loop between user and administrators that calls out and addresses such – the engine will never be perfect, just better BUT this would require admin activism
7/20/2021 8:31 PM (edited)

I have no idea. I played a lot of baseball before I came here.

Theme leagues. My favorite leagues are draft leagues. I can't get overly excited about a league that has somewhere between 24 and 80 LeBron James in it.

I would be more interested in theme leagues if the State Farm thing would be fixed. I would also like to see at least two options for open leagues. Maybe keep the $47 million with clones and another option ($48? $50?) with a different salary cap and no clones.

I would like to see the defensive ratings completely re-done. DPOY gets 100. Make All Defensive teams for the years when they didn't exist. Use some other system that is more accurate. Use something better than just blocks and steals.

I would love to see 16 team leagues. A lot of theme leagues that can't make it to 24 would have a much better chance. You have smaller leagues in baseball, why not here?
I like the Champions League idea. I would like them to do it here like they do it in the baseball leagues. The league winner and runner up both are automatically entered into a 32 team March Madness style tournament. You win five straight best four out of seven series and you win the tournament. When I first started playing you would win points equivalent to about $250. It was reduced later, but the Tournaments of Champions were a lot of fun.
I would also like to see more line-up options. A clutch line-up to close out games and an overtime line-up would both be great.
7/20/2021 7:11 PM
Also, whatever you were smoking the day you decided that Thaddeus Young was 99% at PG and Ben Simmons was 98%......yeah, just give me some of that.
7/20/2021 7:23 PM
well, this was fun - did anyone reach out to admin?
7/28/2021 10:33 AM
Posted by copernicus on 7/28/2021 10:33:00 AM (view original):
well, this was fun - did anyone reach out to admin?
I have not yet. I was hoping for more discussion here but we haven't even reached page 2. Maybe the majority think the sim is fine as is?
7/28/2021 5:01 PM
How long have you played WIS NBA Basketball? Approaching 20 years, but been gone for awhile.

What type of leagues do you primarily play (Open, Fun Themes, Competitive Themes, Progs, etc)? Going back to Draft Leagues to start.

What do you think is so important to fix that it needs to be prioritized first, even if it's just a band-aid fix? Russell's defense, making older players usable. Need more stoppage of play. Better lineup control. Smaller Leagues. (Same stuff as when I left)

What thing do you think needs to be completely re-worked, re-structured, and/or completely scrapped, keeping in mind that a new engine is almost certainly required for any major revolutionary change? Completely restructured.

When they went to the current sim long ago (position %, paint, mid, perimeter), they shut down all leagues for two months.

7/29/2021 9:34 PM
123 Next ▸
Improving the Sim ... let's have a discussion. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.