5 X 5 Franchise League (90 Mill) 1 needed! Topic

I pride myself on creating themes that make reasonable teams...teams with stars, above average, average and below average players. This challenges you to draft well before the season and then manage well during the season to get the most out of your players.

SELECT 5 SEASONS OF YOUR FRANCHISE (1990 - 2020).

From Season #1, select at least 5 IFs (1B, 2B, SS, 3B). One or more of these players could be scrubs, platoon players or a DH, but they must be listed as an IF or a DH.

From Season #2, select at least 5 OFs/Cs. One or more of these players could be scrubs, platoon players or a DH, but they must be listed as an OF, a C, or a DH.

From Season #3, select at least 5 SPs. You are allowed to use one or more of these SPs in relief, but they must be listed as a SP.

From Season #4, select at least 5 RPs. You are allowed to use one or more of these RPs as a starter, but they must be listed as a RP.

The remaining players can be selected from the 5th season, so you can upgrade your weak spots and round our your roster. 2 of these players could follow the same designations as above. For example, you could choose 1 SP, 1 RP, 2 IFs, and 1 OF/C. Another example would be 2 SPs, 1 RP, 1 IF, 1 OF/C. Within this process, you could select a DH that could be listed as a DH or an IF or an OF/C, but a max of 3 position players are eligible from this season. Another wrinkle of the 5th season is that there may be fewer than 5 roster spots remaining (due to previously selecting 6 IFs, for instance). In this case, you could select one player from each category, or skip a category and select 2 players from another category. For example, 1 SP, 1 RP, 2 IFs and no OF/C.

SPECIFICS:
90 mill cap
Yes to DH, injuries,
No to WW, clones, AAA
Any ballpark is allowed
Two owners can take the same franchise; their teams will be placed in opposite leagues.
One owner can take two teams; their teams will be placed in opposite leagues.

I hope you will enjoy this league. I am open to discussing the rules in the chat below. Also, please sign up below.

8/2/2021 11:38 AM
# Owners Team

FRANCHISES NOT AVAILABLE: Blue Jays, Cardinals, Reds, Giants, Phillies, Astros, Dodgers
TEAMS HIGHLIGHTED IN YELLOW ARE ENTERRED AND APPROVED. THOSE IN GRAY ARE ENTERRED BUT ROSTERS ARE BEING TWEAKED.
1 Datatrek Blue Jays
2 MAZZILLI16 Blue Jays
3 gmoney0002 Cardinals (not responding...replacing)
3 safdan Cardinals

4 vaugheyj Indians
5 parking31 Yankees (will enter this weekend)
6 WillsRoyals Giants
7 mkohan Dodgers
8 midknight Nats/Expos
9 hoopsrus Angels
10 toddcommish Phillies
11 D6kStl White Sox
12 fatboydad54 Astros
13 ChicagoAaron Reds (not responding...replacing)
13 ff09 A's

14 fatguyrd Twins
15 Jeff4noles Pirates (still tweaking)
16 Spinaldog Braves
17 ddodge02 Cardinals (said he will enter this weekend)
18 summerfield Reds
19 fabforeus Dodgers
20 muckles6 Giants
21 Bradsher Cubs
22 3dayrotation Mets
23 _JJP_ Astros
24 Bill_James47 Phillies

WAITLIST:

MAZZILLI16; gmoney0002; ChicagoAaron; ddodge02; summerfield

Datatrek; MAZZILLI16; gmoney0002; vaugheyj; parking31; WillsRoyals; 3dayrotation; midknight; hoopsrus; toddcommish; D6kStl; fatboydad54; ChicagoAaron; jeff4noles; spinaldog; fatguyrd; ddodge02; fabforeus; muckles6; summerfield; _JJP_; Bradsher; Bill_James47
10/17/2021 2:23 PM (edited)

Datatrek: I am in with TORONTO BLUE JAYS. Years TBD.

8/2/2021 8:33 PM
You have it, Mazzilli! Since I am also a Jays fan--for the first time ever--the Jays are off the board before any other franchise has been taken. WOW!
8/4/2021 2:15 PM
Datatrek...that is interesting to learn indeed. Hope we can get the league off the ground. We need 4 more managers in our $100 Million League Leaders 2-Team Twist League if you are interested. Check it out in the Theme League Classifieds. Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. Talk to you soon and looking forward to managing at the Rogers Centre in your league!
8/6/2021 5:39 PM
I would like to join. I'll go with the Cardinals, and I'll also name my years after some digging.
8/12/2021 12:14 AM
I like the idea but concerned about it filling its kind of hard to get 5 SP out of a group some teams and years only have 4 listed and lot of them just 5 thats really hard to build around maybe think about backing off 5...or maybe the pitching years combined SP/RP instead of just SP and RP.
8/12/2021 1:17 AM
Posted by nikospade on 8/12/2021 1:17:00 AM (view original):
I like the idea but concerned about it filling its kind of hard to get 5 SP out of a group some teams and years only have 4 listed and lot of them just 5 thats really hard to build around maybe think about backing off 5...or maybe the pitching years combined SP/RP instead of just SP and RP.
Sorry for taking a few days to reply...

I agree that liking 5 SP from a single franchise season that are worthy of pitching 1000 innings would be a stretch. I have accounted for that.

First, the 5 SPs that you take from that one season do not have to the 5 highest-inning "Starters" of that season...so you can pick 3 or 4 main starting pitchers, along with a starter or two that only pitched say 40 innings. They just need to be called a SP by WIS. With call-ups and injuries within a season, there are virtually always SPs that don't break your bank and supply relief innings.

Second, the 5th season will most likely include 1 - 2 SPs to bolster your rotation. This is how you can avoid the horrible 5th starter that every team seems to have.

Third, the idea of the league is to get a more balanced team where average players and pitchers will be used. All-star players at every position would be nice, but life is messier than that. Like in real MLB teams, you can expect that you will have to get the most out of a weaker SP, a weaker IF, a weaker OF/C and a weaker RP. Guys you might want to replace with a defensive replacement or PH for late in games. Guys you might want to platoon at a position.

Thanks for your comments.
8/15/2021 8:56 PM
Put me down for the Milwaukee Brewers. Did I say Brewers, I meant to write Cleveland Indians. Do you need the different years? I try not to spread out too many teams - but this is a good concept.
8/23/2021 4:09 PM (edited)
I'll try this with (some to-be-determined combination of) the Yankees.
8/18/2021 10:28 PM
That was fun. What I came up with was:

2006 IF: Giambi, Cano, Jeter, ARod, Damon, Nick Green
2017 C/OF: Sanchez, Judge, Gardner, Torreyes & Wade (both eligible at OF)

1997 SP: Pettitte, Cone, Wells, K. Rogers, Gooden
2016 RP: Betances, Chapman, Miller, Clippard, Layne, Goody [couldn't find a way to make Mariano work]

1994 WC: Jimmy Key, Jim Leyritz, Gerald Williams
8/19/2021 12:33 AM
Count me in. I would like the San Francisco Giants. I will figure out the years for the various categories and get back to you.
8/19/2021 1:14 AM
red sox please
8/19/2021 4:24 AM
question... is it eligible at a position or does it have to be primary?
8/19/2021 4:20 PM
Can I add Primary - or played a good percentage of the team's ABs there? The Brewers had a couple of seasons where a position was manned by three people (guessing from injury / ineffectiveness)
8/20/2021 8:24 AM
12345 Next ▸
5 X 5 Franchise League (90 Mill) 1 needed! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.