New Zealand Terrorist Attack Topic

New Zealand enacts sweeping gun control. A guy comes into a store with intent to kill. Stabs 6 people with a knife. 0 dead.

If this was America, they would likely have fatalities from this, because it would have most likely been a shooting.

Food for thought.
9/7/2021 2:18 PM
yes

if you wanna be bad, be bad up close and personal

don express your ire by throwing a bucket o rocks in a general direction

the fact is though, we have a 2nd amendment

it would take many safety states to redact it

another fact is there are more freedom states than safety states

the only way that thing gets repealed is people get tired of random violence

but we are american monkeys, we like to express our ire like the taliban

gun violence is artistic expression

protected by the 1st amendment

9/7/2021 2:51 PM
Oh yeah, I agree. A total gun ban will never happen here because we have too many gun nuts. The amount of money and resources meant to carry it out would well exceed any benefit. I just think this case study is interesting.

We need to change the gun culture in this country.
9/7/2021 3:23 PM
hunnert year endeavor

possible in china not possible here
9/7/2021 3:27 PM
Rather than focusing on "changing gun culture" we should perhaps focus on changing the "general culture", and increase the resources spent on mental health care.

As little as 30 years ago people regularly had shotguns and rifles in their pickup trucks and we seldom had mass shootings
9/7/2021 3:48 PM (edited)
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Politicians who call for "better mental health care" after mass shootings usually vote against it later.
9/7/2021 3:54 PM
I loathe politicians. Regardless of how sorry they are, that's a much better starting place when honestly discussing the gun violence issue
9/7/2021 4:22 PM
Posted by tangplay on 9/7/2021 3:54:00 PM (view original):
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Politicians who call for "better mental health care" after mass shootings usually vote against it later.
Regarding the six stabbings: Do you think he could have given the knife a twist? Six would be dead. If in the US, HE would be dead because someone packing a .25 would have shot him. Everyone should carry. . unless they have a criminal record.. Those guys will carry anyhow. It is not a case of mental health, but spiritual wickedness, and this manipulates the perp' People who do such things are EVIL.. and I know most 'modernists' reject that concept

Let me take this a step further: You are in Texas, It is 11 pm and you and your wife are finishing off a cup of tea, and about to head in for the night.

Suddenly your door is booted in and 3 guys wielding Machetes are doing a home invasion. You get the .38 and put them into eternity. End of hassle. In the US you can defend your loved ones and your home with whatever force is necessary. Up here, you can't..We are told to go and hide. Is this sick, or what?? Liberalism did this. I hate it.. and b t way, the Canadian bad guys have M16's and AK 47s.

but North of 49 WE have GUN control. (it doesn't work) You can't explain this to governments. However, a ten year old knows that thugs care less about the law, and will find ways to get guns. D-UH. Government is dumber than a dead brick.. but very good at manipulating and bullying

Either way, we are hooped and the good times are over. Forever.. just wait. You might eventually learn that the do gooders on the left are more dangerous than the crooks.. and the big difference is that the crooks are smarter

and b t way; ask any Army vet which is easier and less dangerous? If you are in close quarters. Disarm a guy with a gun? Or a combat knife?? He will say 'Gun' and break your wrist in the process. With the knife, you likely will still get cut.. or even slashed across the wrist
9/7/2021 7:54 PM (edited)
Posted by bagchucker on 9/7/2021 2:52:00 PM (view original):
yes

if you wanna be bad, be bad up close and personal

don express your ire by throwing a bucket o rocks in a general direction

the fact is though, we have a 2nd amendment

it would take many safety states to redact it

another fact is there are more freedom states than safety states

the only way that thing gets repealed is people get tired of random violence

but we are american monkeys, we like to express our ire like the taliban

gun violence is artistic expression

protected by the 1st amendment

Americans are more prone to violence. but you say 'like the Taliban?' I kind of doubt it
9/7/2021 7:55 PM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 9/7/2021 7:54:00 PM (view original):
Regarding the six stabbings: Do you think he could have given the knife a twist? Six would be dead. If in the US, HE would be dead because someone packing a .25 would have shot him. Everyone should carry. . unless they have a criminal record.. Those guys will carry anyhow. It is not a case of mental health, but spiritual wickedness, and this manipulates the perp' People who do such things are EVIL.. and I know most 'modernists' reject that concept

Let me take this a step further: You are in Texas, It is 11 pm and you and your wife are finishing off a cup of tea, and about to head in for the night.

Suddenly your door is booted in and 3 guys wielding Machetes are doing a home invasion. You get the .38 and put them into eternity. End of hassle. In the US you can defend your loved ones and your home with whatever force is necessary. Up here, you can't..We are told to go and hide. Is this sick, or what?? Liberalism did this. I hate it.. and b t way, the Canadian bad guys have M16's and AK 47s.

but North of 49 WE have GUN control. (it doesn't work) You can't explain this to governments. However, a ten year old knows that thugs care less about the law, and will find ways to get guns. D-UH. Government is dumber than a dead brick.. but very good at manipulating and bullying

Either way, we are hooped and the good times are over. Forever.. just wait. You might eventually learn that the do gooders on the left are more dangerous than the crooks.. and the big difference is that the crooks are smarter

and b t way; ask any Army vet which is easier and less dangerous? If you are in close quarters. Disarm a guy with a gun? Or a combat knife?? He will say 'Gun' and break your wrist in the process. With the knife, you likely will still get cut.. or even slashed across the wrist
Good lord
9/7/2021 8:50 PM
Posted by Uofa2 on 9/7/2021 8:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by lostnfound74 on 9/7/2021 7:54:00 PM (view original):

Good lord
Too long? Or too far fetched? (FF for you)

Anyways, you read it. Try it again, but try to open your mind to the possibility that this could be true

Gun control really doesn't work. Shootings in Canada didn't change
9/7/2021 9:17 PM (edited)
Posted by bruceleefan on 9/7/2021 4:22:00 PM (view original):
I loathe politicians. Regardless of how sorry they are, that's a much better starting place when honestly discussing the gun violence issue
You know, I could point you in the direction of a couple of politicians who do genuinely advocate and vote for better mental health care....
9/8/2021 12:02 AM
Guns in the house factually, provably INCREASE your chances of dying, whether by accident or by suicide. If you have a gun in your home, you are more likely to die. The odds that you defeat a home invasion or stop a shooting are nonexistent. The odds that you kill yourself in a brief moment of depression are high.

To reiterate, and again, I must say that this has been PROVEN: If you buy a gun and put it in your home, you have just increased your chances of death.
9/8/2021 12:05 AM
Posted by tangplay on 9/8/2021 12:05:00 AM (view original):
Guns in the house factually, provably INCREASE your chances of dying, whether by accident or by suicide. If you have a gun in your home, you are more likely to die. The odds that you defeat a home invasion or stop a shooting are nonexistent. The odds that you kill yourself in a brief moment of depression are high.

To reiterate, and again, I must say that this has been PROVEN: If you buy a gun and put it in your home, you have just increased your chances of death.
You might be right. The case against my earlier comment. . is also strong

IDK. really. I don't want to own one,because if I use it, even in defence, I would kill someone. Not that good a shot so would aim for center of mass. So much is pro and con, yay and nay
9/8/2021 6:28 AM
Posted by tangplay on 9/8/2021 12:05:00 AM (view original):

And again I'd point to the fact that this is only a fairly recent development. Why so much depression and suicide? Why so many folks don't learn basic gun safety before bringing one into the home?

Fact is, guns have been part of our culture for 250 years and have only become out of control in the last 25.

It obviously isn't the tool,, it is the weilder of that tool. What has changed and how can we fix it?
Can it even be fixed??
9/8/2021 7:47 AM
1|2|3...19 Next ▸
New Zealand Terrorist Attack Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.