HBD League of Legends Topic

Posted by NodakJuggalo on 9/18/2021 11:28:00 AM (view original):
20+ seasons is too many. Some players are good at this game and worthy of your special league without meeting that criteria. Have the requirements be "one" of those criteria, not all of them.

Also; I have to go to the last page of comments to write a post? Fix your Janky 1990's website first.
I think it's more about investment. The more seasons an owner has under the belt, the less likely they are to bail. How do you differentiate between a really good invested owner with 10 seasons, and a newb who still doesn't know what they're doing?

I personally think it should be much higher, like 50+ seasons. Then you'll get into really elite owners. You may have a handful with that many who are scammers or clueless owners, but far more unlikely.
9/18/2021 1:29 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 9/18/2021 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by NodakJuggalo on 9/18/2021 11:28:00 AM (view original):
20+ seasons is too many. Some players are good at this game and worthy of your special league without meeting that criteria. Have the requirements be "one" of those criteria, not all of them.

Also; I have to go to the last page of comments to write a post? Fix your Janky 1990's website first.
I think it's more about investment. The more seasons an owner has under the belt, the less likely they are to bail. How do you differentiate between a really good invested owner with 10 seasons, and a newb who still doesn't know what they're doing?

I personally think it should be much higher, like 50+ seasons. Then you'll get into really elite owners. You may have a handful with that many who are scammers or clueless owners, but far more unlikely.
Agreed. Need to filter owners in some capacity.

All of the below should be considered. If not, how is it a premier league?

Active team
Championship
Win record
# of seasons
9/18/2021 2:15 PM
Certainly interested in hearing more
9/18/2021 3:32 PM
Interested
9/18/2021 4:17 PM
Interested (for the entertainment value) but would need to see more details.
9/18/2021 8:09 PM
What about a draft? Instead of WIS trying to make “evenly balanced” teams, which likely wont be and draw complaints out of the box, have a 25 round ML draft of ML players from a pool of around 950-1000 ML players, and an x round MIL draft which would include the undrafted ML players and prospects. Based on budgeting for IFA, College, High School, you will see more or less of each category of those type of MIL players, and more accurate projected ratings. The prospects will have at least 2 seasons of pre-draft development, so they will be ML ready 0-2 years in, and better prospects will have higher signing bonuses. This way, there is a strategy for setting IFA, College, High School and advanced budgets that will pay-off for the bulk of the 5 seasons, and a reason to budget for those categories, and the owner is responsible for the entire make-up of their system based on their philosophy. All undrafted players in the pool after the drafts are FA’s to fill in minors, etc. All ML players on one year deals, but re-signable at asking price.
9/18/2021 9:52 PM
Posted by POKEYSAN on 9/18/2021 9:52:00 PM (view original):
What about a draft? Instead of WIS trying to make “evenly balanced” teams, which likely wont be and draw complaints out of the box, have a 25 round ML draft of ML players from a pool of around 950-1000 ML players, and an x round MIL draft which would include the undrafted ML players and prospects. Based on budgeting for IFA, College, High School, you will see more or less of each category of those type of MIL players, and more accurate projected ratings. The prospects will have at least 2 seasons of pre-draft development, so they will be ML ready 0-2 years in, and better prospects will have higher signing bonuses. This way, there is a strategy for setting IFA, College, High School and advanced budgets that will pay-off for the bulk of the 5 seasons, and a reason to budget for those categories, and the owner is responsible for the entire make-up of their system based on their philosophy. All undrafted players in the pool after the drafts are FA’s to fill in minors, etc. All ML players on one year deals, but re-signable at asking price.
THAT WOULD BE COOL!
9/18/2021 11:42 PM
We already tried a serpentine draft, they do not give you a balanced league and it had complaints right out of the box, plus the factors that they take too long. If I remember correctly, it was suppose to be a set of three seasons, and broke up after one because of the unbalance. WiS made the game and has its own idea of what is a balanced league.
9/19/2021 5:41 AM
Nothing but identical players will create a "balanced" league. Even in a draft some owners are better at player evaluation and will draft stronger teams.

In ours, that resulted in a few sore loser type attitudes and they started bailing.

Again, THAT is the single biggest obstacle to overcome with this format, and there really isn't a good solution for it.

The only sure way this ever works is to get 32 owners with great honor and character who would honor their ccommitment just because it's the right thing to do.
In three total tourneys I've only accumulated about 24 such owners and I'm not even sure if all of them are still active.
There are definitely many more of the other type who will feel no sense of loyalty to honor their word, because this is the internet. I have a pretty lengthy list of these flakes.
9/19/2021 9:06 AM (edited)
I don't know about the sore loser part, but I do know that several of the players who were drafting the original teams quit during the draft and had to be replaced, and the replacement owners (myself included) did not get the types of teams that they would have drafted themselves. I do seem to remember the comment, "This is not my team". Anyway, If you are going to take a long time to draft, don't expect not to lose managers due to illnesses themselves, deaths in the family or some other life type things that would slow it up and would probably require a replacement or more. The best way to avoid all this is to just let WiS set up the teams all at once, by what they are saying, it will not be like the regular teams that we get when we opened new leagues in the past. I would like to know more about how he plans on working this out in balancing the teams.
9/19/2021 9:57 AM
Maybe he could even give everyone a preference sheet to fill out before he does the draft, sort of like the one we now have to do the AD, only more detailed options, Maybe.
9/19/2021 10:07 AM
I’m interested
9/19/2021 10:35 PM
I would like to be a part of this league.
9/20/2021 11:38 AM
Posted by ab90 on 9/16/2021 4:19:00 PM (view original):
100%. no current league, but could fix that. possibly(?) best HBD record ever
Lol this guy is trash.
9/20/2021 5:00 PM

Input from one person who would qualify and who has long advocated for HBD escalation worlds.

More important than any other point – Good on you for doing something (ANYTHING) to have any kind of premier / escalation world(s). One of the issues that has limited HBD from the start is that we're all being forced to fly in coach, with no chance to perform or pay our way into economy plus, business class, first class, or a private jet.

Having ONE premium world is bad idea. As the comments indicate, there are many different options. Still, please do ONE first. Then another, with a different model. We'll all learn.

I want HBD to make more money, and WIS to invest some of that money back into HBD. I will joyfully pay more for what I consider to be a better product. That includes being in a world others aspire to be in and must pay or perform their way in. Worlds where everyone has paid for at least as many seasons into the future as their longest player contact. WIS issuing a patch release every two months that fixes bugs, adds world-level options, and fixes things that, if there is enough consensus, need fixing. If I pay more, I want more. I'm not motivated to hand you more money if all I get is a star next to my name saying I'm in a premier world.

Neither paying $50 / season or winning $1000 will have any impact on my life. If bigger prizes is what it takes to make premier worlds work, so be it. I'm not against the idea. Just don't care.

We have zero reasons to trust that HBD management, or anyone, knows how to create 32 “evenly matched” teams. Pretty sure that's always been the goal. Many of us have experienced that seeming not to happen. Unless you generate identical teams, there will always be at least 1 out of 32 being unhappy with the evenness of a team they just paid 2X or more for. Some of this is opinion, different people liking to build teams different ways, and therefore not happy with the hand they were dealt. Therefore, I don't see ever wanting to be part of any world with a fixed number of seasons, as the first day at least one or two GMs will revolt. (Clearly you're going to fill the world you've described.) I don't think a promise of creating 32 “evenly matched” is realistic, unless all 32 are identical.

I agree with all comments that a 5 season model will result in a race to cut all budgets but salary. It will be a version of HBD that is almost entirely a FA bidding content. HBD FA Race is a strategy game that can be played different ways and more or less effectively. It will not be all luck. But it's not HBD, as the draft and most IFA will have no impact on 5 season reason results. Unless you bring them all in fully developed. Which then makes coaching even more useless than it is.

Life happen. People's priorities change. You will need to replace GMs. Free team in a “premium” world shouldn't be too hard to fill, until the last 1-2 season if the team is out of it. Who wants that team?

I would be more interested in promotion / relegation worlds if those things happened every seasons. This its own complicated topic.

Good luck. Please try this. Accept many will criticize everything. Don't let the trolls win.

9/21/2021 7:15 AM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13 Next ▸
HBD League of Legends Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.