Let's Build a Theme Together (DEAD) Topic

I haven’t seen one of these in while, and they can be a little tricky, but also a ton of fun.

Here’s the basic idea. This will be a 16-team league (4 divisions) in which we will build the theme rules from scratch. Each owner, upon signup, adds a rule to the theme. These can be basic things, like a salary cap or whether we will use AAA. Or they can be things that relate to roster creation (like “AL players only”). We will end up with a league with 16 rules, that will apply to all of us.
Essentially anything goes, but I would like to stipulate a few things:
  1. If you sign up, please be committed to playing regardless of how the theme rules end up working out. This whole thing falls apart in a hurry if an owner backs out because he doesn’t like a rule that is subsequently added.
  2. You MUST list your rule upon signup. No delaying to wait and see what other rules are put in place.
  3. Please consider whether your proposed rule will work with the other rules that are already in place. An obvious example of a rule that doesn’t work would be something that directly conflicts with a previous rule. A less obvious example would be one that makes our player pool so restrictive that our rosters become nearly impossible to create, or would make our rosters too similar to each other. If (and only if) absolutely necessary, I may declare a proposed rule invalid.
  4. Someone must propose a rule about whether we have AAA or not. If you want us to have AAA, please be specific (how many?; Average, above average, below average?; draft-your-own or SIM-generated?)
  5. Someone must propose a salary cap. I will set the range as anything between 60M and 255M. Nothing below 60M please.
  6. We will not have trades or waiver wire.
  7. When I go to set up the theme, if there are any decisions to be made for which we have not created a rule, we will use whatever the default setting is, EXCEPT FOR minor league salary cap. If we do end up using AAA, I will set minor league salary cap to OFF.

Depending on how this goes, we may keep the idea going for multiple seasons. When I have done this in the past, each season ends up looking completely different! Who’s up for giving this a try?
9/25/2021 3:33 PM (edited)
I will start us off with a simple one: No DH.
9/25/2021 3:29 PM
Owners (rules)

1. contrarian23 (No DH)
2. combalt (all parks must be +2 or higher for 1B)
3. jtvaughey (all catcher arms D+ or worse)
4. fillies (cap: 60M)
5. Bradsher (6/4 below average, draft-your-own AAA; all AAA must comply with all theme rules)
6. fatguyrd (all pitchers must be from 2000-2019)
7. midknight (WMD rule: all teams must have Mays, Mantle, or Snider on the roster)
8. razorclams (At least two different players at each infield position (3B, 2B, SS, 1B, C) and each must have between 150-450 PA/162.)*
9. gwhouse (each team must have at least 2 hall of famers - note that one is already necessitated by rule 7)
10. tomhanrahan (5 most popular cookies are banned: '92 Bip Roberts; '89 Howard Johnson; '80 Dilone; '87 Coleman; '95 Boggs)
11. 06gsp (no player can have more than 30 SB in real life)
12. trumbull (all teams must roster Dontrelle Willis)

* Note that rule 8 requires TEN different players. You can't count any individual player for more than one position.

Sitemail list: contrarian23; combalt; jtvaughey; fillies; Bradsher; fatguyrd; midknight; razorclams; gwhouse; tomhanrahan; 06gsp; trumbull
9/30/2021 7:26 AM (edited)
How's about 'All Stadiums must have a 1B rating of +2 or higher?'
9/25/2021 3:46 PM
Excellent - welcome combalt!
9/25/2021 3:52 PM
How about all catchers must have an arm rating of D+ or worse
9/25/2021 5:03 PM
Welcome jtvaughey!
9/25/2021 5:04 PM
Let’s go low cap…60 mil
9/25/2021 7:00 PM
Yes to AAA, draft-your-own, 6/4 (below average if applicable. Not sure if it applies to draft-your-own.)
9/25/2021 7:17 PM (edited)
Oh this is getting interesting!
9/25/2021 7:51 PM
Posted by Bradsher on 9/25/2021 7:17:00 PM (view original):
Yes to AAA, draft-your-own, 6/4 (below average if applicable. Not sure if it applies to draft-your-own.)
Below average still applies to draft-your-own.

I am going to stipulate that all AAA must comply with all theme rules (so no using AAA to get around the catcher arm restriction, for example)
9/25/2021 7:52 PM
All pitchers must be from 2000-2019
9/26/2021 1:50 PM (edited)
Welcome!

With only 6 owners, we have already pretty significantly narrowed the player pool. I would ask that subsequent owners think carefully about their proposed rules at this point.
9/25/2021 11:05 PM
To encourage others,and give more options for rules, the commish has approved changing my rule

from All players

to

All pitchers.
9/26/2021 1:52 PM
Thank you for that change. Who's next? Lots of creative ways to go here.
9/26/2021 3:45 PM
1234 Next ▸
Let's Build a Theme Together (DEAD) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.