Awesome Nostalgia! Topic

Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 4:22:00 PM (view original):
You said you were born in 44 so you must have real good memories from 1952 - 1959.
I’d like to know what you personally watched on television before 1960.
The good the bad and the ugly.
Oct 1945 =b.d. 44 was a typo

1952 Dragnet, with Jack Webb.. every Friday night on the radio. I was 'culturally deprived, because we didn't have t.v until 1956.. and before that was Monopoly after dinner... whole family. Dad and I once took over half an hour to finish a game of snakes and ladders. I was up 46 about 30 times and down 92 just as many.. Fun game. T.V. sucked

Remember Broderick Crawford? '' and remember, leave your blood at the red cross, not on the highway" He was a good actor

\

Good old 55 Buick. For it's era, a very under rated car
9/29/2021 5:20 PM (edited)
TV before 1959? Not a ton of stuff.. HNIC, Always the Leafs and whosoever. The Donna Reed show rocked. She was a babe and then there was Shelley

Most of the time it was me and the guys, and 3 nights a week at the South Hill Boxing Club/ Dad got me started in Golf in about 1958. Once I broke 90 (same year) I was hooked. Still am. Never was a big t.v. watcher.

Tell me your story
9/29/2021 5:03 PM
The Ugly: Most of that came during and after the Beatles. I hated Archie Bunker.. character at least. Couldn't stand Edith, Airhead.. but these charaters wer created for our 'entertainment'

Ugly in the fifties? The Edsel, MAN it was UGLY Big block engine with no go.
As I said, UGLY

Here is one that is uglier yet.

Why would someone own this when they could at least have this?

At least it looked like a car
9/29/2021 5:19 PM (edited)
UGLIEST?? THIS.. The media still tried to scare us half to death:

Early 50's Bikini Atoll 27 Megatons
9/29/2021 5:22 PM
Ole 55 is a mighty good song by The Eagles.
I am a collector of just about all of the old radio shows.
From the comedies to dramas to adventure to police procedures to horror and sci fi.
It has taken podcast to bring back old radio ceptin
CBS Radio Mystery Theater.
My dad once brought home a radio from work that was from the fifties and I have a slew of great old radios now.

I wasn’t around for early TV but I watch wherever I can find it.
The Jack Benny radio shows and The George Burns Radio Shows still hold up 100% today.
And The George Burns TV show is modern today and was a precursor to Seinfeld and modern comedy.
Funny and real and not corny.

Everybody loves The Dick Van **** Show but The George Burns Show is a forgotten great.

If you want a great great great great great glimpse into life and comedy in the fifties start watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on prime video or Amazon.
It will blow you away.
Bosch is on there too and is essential.
9/29/2021 5:30 PM (edited)
Posted by lostnfound74 on 9/29/2021 5:22:00 PM (view original):

People used to dress for the H bomb in those days.
9/29/2021 5:24 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 5:27:00 PM (view original):
From the comedies to dramas to adventure to police procedures to horror and sci fi.
My dad once brought home a radio from work that was from the fifties and I have a slew of great old radios now.

The Jack Benny radio shows and The George Burns Radio Shows still hold up 100% today.
And The George Burns TV show is modern today and was a precursor to Seinfeld and modern comedy.

Everybody loves The Dick Van **** Show but The George Burns Show is a forgotten great.
Yes and Shelly Burman could make you laugh. Cosby was a total ripoff.
Geporge Burns and Gracie Allen were funny.

I see oldies on U Tube and read the comments. Kids today LOVE that stuff, and many hate what now passes for music

Remember Gangbusters? I often wonder of they ever did catch Alfred Holt. Funny I remember the description and name.. 60 years later

X X X Minus Minus Minus One One One (with re verb) Neat radio horror show
9/29/2021 5:28 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 5:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by lostnfound74 on 9/29/2021 5:22:00 PM (view original):

People used to dress for the H bomb in those days.
We used to have these dumb air raid drills. I remember telling the teacher 'This is Useless. a nuke will melt all of us.' Hide under desk akin to hiding behind a mask OOPS I said I wouldn't do this
9/29/2021 5:29 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 5:30:00 PM (view original):

If you want a great great great great great glimpse into life and comedy in the fifties start watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on prime video or Amazon.
It will blow you away.
Bosch is on there too and is essential.
DVD is still one of the best ever. I downloaded some of his mysteries from late 70's = Not Columbo, but good imagination
9/29/2021 5:30 PM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 9/29/2021 5:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 5:27:00 PM (view original):

Yes and Shelly Burman could make you laugh. Cosby was a total ripoff.
Geporge Burns and Gracie Allen were funny.

I see oldies on U Tube and read the comments. Kids today LOVE that stuff, and many hate what now passes for music

Remember Gangbusters? I often wonder of they ever did catch Alfred Holt. Funny I remember the description and name.. 60 years later

X X X Minus Minus Minus One One One (with re verb) Neat radio horror show
Yeah - anyone who loves Ray Bradbury type stories would love X minus One.
Anyone interested in getting these shows to listen at your leisure can buy them very inexpensively online.
They are on CD in MP3.

I amended my above post for a shout out to the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel TV show.
9/29/2021 5:35 PM
Thanks Sir.
Ill pick this up later.
9/29/2021 5:37 PM
Another show that is pre- 1960 that gets no attention,
it’s always Lucy Lucy Lucy and The Honeymooners, is Sgt Bilko with the great Phil Silvers. This is must see TV and holds up perfect today.
Yes there was Mr Roberts but there would have been no McHales Navy or maybe Hogan’s Hero’s without Sgt Bilko. Great writing a la the great sitcoms of the early 60s - Dick Van ****....My Favorite Martian.....Hazel.....Dennis The Menace.....Mr. Ed.....
9/29/2021 7:47 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 7:48:00 PM (view original):
it’s always Lucy Lucy Lucy and The Honeymooners, is Sgt Bilko with the great Phil Silvers. This is must see TV and holds up perfect today.
Yes there was Mr Roberts but there would have been no McHales Navy or maybe Hogan’s Hero’s without Sgt Bilko. Great writing a la the great sitcoms of the early 60s - Dick Van ****....My Favorite Martian.....Hazel.....Dennis The Menace.....Mr. Ed.....
Mister Ed. Yes. My fav Martian, if I remember right was with Robin Williams

9/29/2021 10:34 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 9/29/2021 7:48:00 PM (view original):
Much of that can be found on U Tube
9/29/2021 10:35 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Awesome Nostalgia! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.