Tom Brady Topic

I know what Tom Brady did end of last season and then the the playoffs and first 3 games this season.
Ill wait until at least 8 before I say what he is or isn’t in 2021.
Game 4 was a big time grudge match and New England treated it as a super bowl.
It isn’t as if he played horrible. He had an average nfl QB game. You could call it sub par for him.
He did complete 22 passes and got 269 yards and no interceptions.
If he has most of his games like the first 3 and just a few like game 4 he is still way way up there.
10/6/2021 6:02 PM
Jetson= Dino
10/6/2021 6:36 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/6/2021 5:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 10/5/2021 12:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/4/2021 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 10/4/2021 3:34:00 PM (view original):
(also yes it's fun to have spicy takes sometimes, sue me)

dino can't read, I said in my original post "Not a top 10 QB right now," this has always been my point
Last year Tom Brady was a top 10 QB by QBR, passer rating, PFF grade, adjusted net yards/attempt, and pretty much any other overall evaluator of quarterback performance.

So far this year he's top 2 in all of them.

Seems like a difficult argument for you to back up. I think if you allowed the NFL GMs to redraft the league for one season, and do it today, Tom Brady would be taken inside the top 5 quarterbacks. I think Rodgers clearly goes ahead of him, probably Murray and Mahomes as well. He's got a real shot to go 4th. Depends on the system, though. Some coaches would definitely want a guy who can run.
You're cherrypicking stats to make Brady look good and are flat wrong on Brady's stats this year.

Last year he ranked 9th in QBR, which is barely top 10. He did rank 8th in adjusted NET yards/attempt but in adjusted yards per attempt he was 10th. Adjusted net yards/attempt is a bad stat because sacks aren't always on the QB - Brady had an elite offensive line. When you compare pressures to sacks taken, guys like Mahomes are the best in the league because they can avoid sacks by running. Passer rating is an irrelevant stat but he was 9th in that. PFF grade is subjective and I could break down a bunch of reasons why it doesn't matter (namely, their grading system is faulty in a lot of ways). I'm also factoring that Brady was 16th in INT% and his adj y/a is only that high because QB touchdowns are overrated in the formula (QB touchdowns really don't matter as much as people think). Overall, brady was around the 8th-10th best QB in the NFL last year. When looking at this year, I factor in that he's 44 and the NFL has a bunch of young QB's that are only improving, and he's not top 10.

This year Brady is 12th in adj net yards per attempt, so not sure what you're looking at. He's 9th in QBR and 14th in passer rating. His adjusted yards per attempt is carried by a bunch of 1 yard touchdowns - his straight up yards per attempt (the best QB stat IMO) is 17th, which is disgusting. My take has been validated so far - he's not been a top 10 QB this year.

If the NFL did a one year draft, where Brady would go would depend on whether you're factoring his overall leadership (and luck) or just going off of pure QB play. Just on pure QB play, he's not going in the top 10. Factoring in leadership, he's top 5.
My stats were from before the ugly New England game. He dropped a truly ugly amount after this weekend.
My issue with Brady right now is that he's not efficient. He throws the ball a LOT in the Arians offense, and gets great counting stats, but he has a poor yards/attempt and isn't consistently great anymore.
10/7/2021 12:25 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/7/2021 12:25:00 PM (view original):

dino can't read, I said in my original post "Not a top 10 QB right now," this has always been my point
Last year Tom Brady was a top 10 QB by QBR, passer rating, PFF grade, adjusted net yards/attempt, and pretty much any other overall evaluator of quarterback performance.

Seems like a difficult argument for you to back up. I think if you allowed the NFL GMs to redraft the league for one season, and do it today, Tom Brady would be taken inside the top 5 quarterbacks. I think Rodgers clearly goes ahead of him, probably Murray and Mahomes as well. He's got a real shot to go 4th. Depends on the system, though. Some coaches would definitely want a guy who can run.
You're cherrypicking stats to make Brady look good and are flat wrong on Brady's stats this year.

Last year he ranked 9th in QBR, which is barely top 10. He did rank 8th in adjusted NET yards/attempt but in adjusted yards per attempt he was 10th. Adjusted net yards/attempt is a bad stat because sacks aren't always on the QB - Brady had an elite offensive line. When you compare pressures to sacks taken, guys like Mahomes are the best in the league because they can avoid sacks by running. Passer rating is an irrelevant stat but he was 9th in that. PFF grade is subjective and I could break down a bunch of reasons why it doesn't matter (namely, their grading system is faulty in a lot of ways). I'm also factoring that Brady was 16th in INT% and his adj y/a is only that high because QB touchdowns are overrated in the formula (QB touchdowns really don't matter as much as people think). Overall, brady was around the 8th-10th best QB in the NFL last year. When looking at this year, I factor in that he's 44 and the NFL has a bunch of young QB's that are only improving, and he's not top 10.

This year Brady is 12th in adj net yards per attempt, so not sure what you're looking at. He's 9th in QBR and 14th in passer rating. His adjusted yards per attempt is carried by a bunch of 1 yard touchdowns - his straight up yards per attempt (the best QB stat IMO) is 17th, which is disgusting. My take has been validated so far - he's not been a top 10 QB this year.

If the NFL did a one year draft, where Brady would go would depend on whether you're factoring his overall leadership (and luck) or just going off of pure QB play. Just on pure QB play, he's not going in the top 10. Factoring in leadership, he's top 5.
My stats were from before the ugly New England game. He dropped a truly ugly amount after this weekend.
My issue with Brady right now is that he's not efficient. He throws the ball a LOT in the Arians offense, and gets great counting stats, but he has a poor yards/attempt and isn't consistently great anymore.
Yeah - he wasn’t consistently great games 1-3.
Sounds a lot like an agenda to prove something facts be damned.
He also plays in a QB offensive scheme.
10/7/2021 12:44 PM
Maybe he can eventually get in the top 12 in yards per attempt!!
10/7/2021 12:48 PM
For example Mahones game 3 was by rating just barely better then Brady’s New England game.
27/44 with 260 yards and 2 interceptions against 3 TDS.
But who would say that makes him inconsistent.
10/7/2021 12:52 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/7/2021 12:48:00 PM (view original):
Some offensive schemes call for less down the field.
Talk to the coach who is one of the best in the business. He is worthy of Canton.
Winning is the name of the game. You need a player who follows the game plan.
Ask Wilt about Russ.
Or K Malone about Rodman.
10/7/2021 12:57 PM

weren't you the one who said (and I quote) " Stats reflect the play on the field. If you play well, it shows up on the stat sheet.

So which is it? Do stats mean anything or not?
10/7/2021 1:27 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 10/7/2021 12:52:00 PM (view original):
For example Mahones game 3 was by rating just barely better then Brady’s New England game.
27/44 with 260 yards and 2 interceptions against 3 TDS.
But who would say that makes him inconsistent.
Passer rating is a bad stat. Mahomes had a really, really good game against the Chargers, and it shows in QBR. Mahomes is leading the league in QBR right now and it's not close.
10/7/2021 4:56 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 10/7/2021 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Talk to the coach who is one of the best in the business. He is worthy of Canton.
Ask Wilt about Russ.
Brady led the league in air yards thrown last year lmao, he throws a lot of deep passes. But whatever. Isn't the point of football to get yards? Idk why it would be better to throw for 6 yards per attempt vs 8 but hey I'm not a football genius.
10/7/2021 4:58 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 10/7/2021 1:27:00 PM (view original):

weren't you the one who said (and I quote) " Stats reflect the play on the field. If you play well, it shows up on the stat sheet.

So which is it? Do stats mean anything or not?
You should re-read my post. I literally cited yards per attempt. Some stats matter, some don't. QBR, yards per attempt, INT%, and more advanced stuff like EPA and CPOE are good stats to measure QB performance. Pure passing yards and touchdowns passer rating, and QB wins are not.

I'm not cherry-picking stats; I can give you reasons why I value the ones I do without talking about Brady. Brady used to be really efficient and have high QBR's, but he doesn't anymore because he's no longer elite.

You would have a point if I justified my argument with "just watch him play."
10/7/2021 5:01 PM
Tom Brady on top after 5 games.
I don’t care if the Dolphins are not very good.
He has I think one interception in 5 games with a ton of touchdowns.
Since the end of 2020 and playoffs and this season they are 12-1 under his helm.

Bruce Arians is one of the greatest coaches ever.
Sad he was not an NFL head coach until late in life.
Outside of the NFL he took a Temple U program that has never ever been good into a national team and a good bowl and 2 winning seasons in 6 seasons and after he left they went straight away back into their faithful mediocrity. I would think Temple has not had more then 2 winning seasons since 1988.

He is capable of anything and he and Brady together is a match made in football heaven.

Arians became a head coach in 2013 and retired for a few seasons at one point. In about 7 seasons he was NFL coach of the year and then won the super bowl.
He turned 3 franchises around and all into the playoffs.
He is a future member of Canton.
10/11/2021 12:34 PM (edited)
Tom Brady made it into the top 10 in yards/attempt!!!! Let's see how long is lasts.
10/11/2021 1:45 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/11/2021 1:46:00 PM (view original):
Tom Brady made it into the top 10 in yards/attempt!!!! Let's see how long is lasts.
Releasing the Kraken.
10/11/2021 2:06 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/7/2021 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jetson21 on 10/7/2021 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Ask Wilt about Russ.
Brady led the league in air yards thrown last year lmao, he throws a lot of deep passes. But whatever. Isn't the point of football to get yards? Idk why it would be better to throw for 6 yards per attempt vs 8 but hey I'm not a football genius.
Doesn't necessarily apply to Brady, particularly in the Arians offense, but I would say variance is an obvious answer to your question. People might take a yards/attempt a yard or more lower if it comes with low variance and the associated low turnovers. This seems to be why the NFL obviously values Teddy Bridgewater significantly more highly than it does Jameis Winston. Winston has been consistently better throughout his career in terms of yards/attempt but had to take a $5.5 million contract to fight for a starting spot. The Broncos traded a 6th-round pick - not a lot, but something - for the right to pay Bridgewater over $20 million per year to start for them. Last year Carolina gave him that contract. So at least 2 NFL teams value him 4 times as highly as any team valued Winston.
10/11/2021 2:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...13 Next ▸
Tom Brady Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.