Rotten Plagues and 'Pandemics' Topic

I just found this little gem of a killer on WIKI

https://www.history.com/topics/middle-ages/black-death

It's old stuff though. Thought you might enjoy this bit

The Black Death was a devastating global epidemic of bubonic plague that struck Europe and Asia in the mid-1300s. The plague arrived in Europe in October 1347, when 12 ships from the Black Sea docked at the Sicilian port of Messina. People gathered on the docks were met with a horrifying surprise: Most sailors aboard the ships were dead, and those still alive were gravely ill and covered in black boils that oozed blood and pus. Sicilian authorities hastily ordered the fleet of “death ships” out of the harbor, but it was too late: Over the next five years, the Black Death would kill more than 20 million people in Europe—almost one-third of the continent’s population.

Wowser

Here are a couple more:

430 B.C.: Athens

The earliest recorded pandemic happened during the Peloponnesian War. After the disease passed through Libya, Ethiopia and Egypt, it crossed the Athenian walls as the Spartans laid siege. As much as two-thirds of the population died.

The symptoms included fever, thirst, bloody throat and tongue, red skin and lesions. The disease, suspected to have been typhoid fever, weakened the Athenians significantly and was a significant factor in their defeat by the Spartans.

This one was a Doozy

541 A.D.: Justinian Plague

First appearing in Egypt, the Justinian plague spread through Palestine and the Byzantine Empire, and then throughout the Mediterranean.

The plague changed the course of the empire, squelching Emperor Justinian's plans to bring the Roman Empire back together and causing massive economic struggle. It is also credited with creating an apocalyptic atmosphere that spurred the rapid spread of Christianity.

Recurrences over the next two centuries eventually killed about 50 million people, 26 percent of the world population. It is believed to be the first significant appearance of the bubonic plague, which features enlarged lymphatic gland and is carried by rats and spread by fleas.

Rats and Fleas.. interesting. Are you itchy tonight??

And of course, CO 19 and I read now that maybe 2.6 million (1.6 million as of Dec 2020) have died from it. Apparently masks are a good thing. That would be about one 2500th of the world's population, or .04 percent. Just looking at other percentile figures and that suggests to me that this thing is nothing like the bad ones that killed over 10% and even that figure is roughly 2500 times as bad as this 'Monster' and I have often said this thing is a bad one, but is also over hyped

SOURCES

Disease and History by Frederick C. Cartwright, published by Sutton Publishing, 2014.

Disease: The Story of Disease and Mankind's Continuing Struggle Against It by Mary Dobson, published by Quercus, 2007.

Encyclopedia of Pestilence, Pandemics, and Plagues by Ed, Joseph P. Byrne, published by Greenwood Press, 2008.

Influenza, The American Experience.

Source Book of Medical History, Logan Clendening, published by Dover Publications, 1960.

10/5/2021 9:18 PM
Your honor, I am charged with murder tonight. But for the record, I only killed one person. For comparison, John Wayne Gacy killed 33 people. You see, when you think about it, I'm really not that bad and you shouldn't charge me with anything.
10/5/2021 10:05 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/5/2021 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Your honor, I am charged with murder tonight. But for the record, I only killed one person. For comparison, John Wayne Gacy killed 33 people. You see, when you think about it, I'm really not that bad and you shouldn't charge me with anything.
?? Please try something more meaningful
I might suggest you don't do well with Math
The Library has lots on how stats are collected, what they mean, and also other books on how they are used to promote a false narrative. If you have grade 12 Algebra, this ought not to be too hard for you
10/5/2021 10:24 PM (edited)
I don’t get it.
10/5/2021 10:30 PM
THIS is hellish:

“at the beginning of the malady, certain swellings, either on the groin or under the armpits…waxed to the bigness of a common apple, others to the size of an egg, some more and some less, and these the vulgar named plague-boils.”

Blood and pus seeped out of these strange swellings, which were followed by a host of other unpleasant symptoms—fever, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, terrible aches and pains—and then, in short order, death.

The Bubonic Plague attacks the lymphatic system, causing swelling in the lymph nodes. If untreated, the infection can spread to the blood or lungs.

Dig this one:

The Black Death was terrifyingly, indiscriminately contagious: “the mere touching of the clothes,” wrote Boccaccio, “appeared to itself to communicate the malady to the toucher.” The disease was also terrifyingly efficient. People who were perfectly healthy when they went to bed at night could be dead by morning.
10/5/2021 10:31 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 10/5/2021 10:30:00 PM (view original):
I don’t get it.
Only by PRIDE comes contention. This is pride, trying to play the 'ONE UP ON YOU' game. Same theme as 'My dad can beat your dad. 'Mine is bigger than....' 'I am better than you are' = Same MO. it is the alternative to dialogue.. but nobody wins

I think he is trying to suggest I am a murderer, like John Gace. It makes him feel like more of a man (just my assumption)
10/5/2021 10:35 PM
I agree those plagues were worse.
lt just goes to show you should never believe anyone who says those were the good old days.
10/5/2021 10:36 PM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 10/5/2021 10:36:00 PM (view original):
I don’t get it.
Only by PRIDE comes contention. This is pride, trying to play the 'ONE UP ON YOU' game. Same theme as 'My dad can beat your dad. 'Mine is bigger than....' 'I am better than you are' = Same MO. it is the alternative to dialogue.. but nobody wins

I think he is trying to suggest I am a murderer, like John Gace. It makes him feel like more of a man (just my assumption)
I do not assume to understand what he is saying but apparently he murdered someone.
10/5/2021 10:39 PM
Tonight I will be eating death by chocolate with raspberry sauce.
Thank you.
10/5/2021 10:42 PM
Brilliant.
10/5/2021 11:11 PM
I wonder what all those people who died during the black plague would say to their fellow citizens who refused to take a vaccine that could’ve greatly reduced the deaths and sickness.
10/5/2021 11:13 PM
Posted by Uofa2 on 10/5/2021 11:13:00 PM (view original):
I wonder what all those people who died during the black plague would say to their fellow citizens who refused to take a vaccine that could’ve greatly reduced the deaths and sickness.
The black plague had a kill rate over 30% of COURSE I would vax. Read it again, and if you think these two are equally deadly, then we are done (for now)

You might like this

U Tube link

https://youtu.be/F6EHwBj78Wk

10/6/2021 12:30 AM (edited)
Vancouver trailing 3-0 to an expansion team aka Seattle. This team has never been a scoring threat, except when we had Bure, and that team of 94

back to death and disease
10/6/2021 12:30 AM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 10/5/2021 10:36:00 PM (view original):
I don’t get it.

I'm quite literally laughing out loud that both dino and lostnfound failed to understand my very basic analogy.

I could spell it out, but it's super obvious what my statement meant and it had nothing to do with lostnfound being a murderer or whatever. Let's use some basic 1st grade reading comprehension skills! I believe in you!
10/6/2021 1:42 AM
Actually, check that. I think both of you are so dumb that I could say exactly what I meant in plain language and you would still misinterpret it.

My point was that two things can both be bad without being equal. If a pandemic kills 3 million people, that's not as bad as a pandemic that kills 20 million people. But both are bad and we should take precautions to stop the spread of both pandemics. Just like killing one person isn't as bad as killing 33 people, but both are bad and deserve some consequence.
10/6/2021 1:44 AM
123 Next ▸
Rotten Plagues and 'Pandemics' Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.