Build a Theme - Take 2 (FULL!) Topic

OK, I tried this recently and it didn't quite get off the ground. After consulting with some other SLB players and incorporating feedback, I'm going to try again, with a few tweaks.

Here’s the basic idea. This will be a 16-team league (4 divisions) in which we will build the theme rules from scratch. Once we have 16 owners, I will generate a random order, and each owner in turn will add a rule to the theme. These can be basic things, like a salary cap or whether we will use AAA. Or they can be things that relate to roster creation (like “AL players only”). We will end up with a league with 16 rules, that will apply to all of us.
Essentially anything goes, but I would like to stipulate a few things:
  1. If you sign up, please be committed to playing regardless of how the theme rules end up working out. This whole thing falls apart in a hurry if an owner backs out because he doesn’t like a rule that is subsequently added.
  2. Please consider whether your proposed rule will work with the other rules that are already in place. An obvious example of a rule that doesn’t work would be something that directly conflicts with a previous rule. A less obvious example would be one that makes our player pool so restrictive that our rosters become nearly impossible to create, or would make our rosters too similar to each other. If (and only if) absolutely necessary, I may declare a proposed rule invalid.
  3. Someone must propose a rule about whether we have AAA or not. If you want us to have AAA, please be specific (how many?; Average, above average, below average?; draft-your-own or SIM-generated?)
  4. Someone must propose a salary cap. I will set the range as anything between 80M and 255M. Nothing below 80M please. If this league is as fun as I expect it will be, we will continue to run it for several seasons, and I envision eventually lowering the minimum cap. But for now, 80M is the minimum.
  5. We will not have trades or waiver wire. Note that the "no waiver wire" rule effectively means we can't use the "cash infusion after X games" provision - as there will be no way to spend the money.
  6. EDIT: When I go to set up the theme, if there are any decisions to be made for which we have not created a rule, we will use whatever the default setting is, EXCEPT FOR minor league salary cap and clones. Clones will not be allowed unless someone makes a rule expressly permitting them. And if we do end up using AAA, I will set minor league salary cap to OFF and will set the transaction deadline as late as possible to allow for maximum flexibility.

Who’s up for giving this a try?

EDIT: When you enter your team, please send me a sitemail with:
-- Names of your pitcher/hitter teammates
-- Your hall of famer (if you have more than one, only need to list one)
-- Your gold glover (if you have more than one, only need to list one)
-- Your player who wore #3
-- Your 2 IF with HR/100AB of 4.0 or greater (if you have more than two, only need to list two)
10/11/2021 11:46 AM (edited)
Interested owners:
1.) contrarian23
2.) joerat1
3.) gwhouse
4.) fatguyrd
5.) midknight
6.) 7stringplayr
7.) razorclams
8.) Quarantine
9.) combalt
10.) _jwillis
11.) pmwksw
12.) just4me
13.) Bradsher
14.) ejstockman
15.) redraider68
16.) jkorn

Sitemail list: contrarian23; joerat1; gwhouse; fatguyrd; midknight; 7stringplayr; razorclams; Quarantine; combalt; _jwillis; pmwksw; just4me; Bradsher; ejstockman; redraider68; jkorn
10/9/2021 9:52 AM (edited)
I’m in
10/8/2021 7:33 AM
Yes for me
10/8/2021 7:45 AM
In please
10/8/2021 7:52 AM
I'll play again
10/8/2021 10:01 AM
I’m in…if you’ll have me
10/8/2021 10:24 AM
Try again
10/8/2021 11:36 AM
I'm in
10/8/2021 11:44 AM
I'll give it another go please
10/8/2021 12:11 PM
What the heck, I'll try it this time.
10/8/2021 12:36 PM
I'll try it
10/8/2021 2:17 PM
In
10/8/2021 5:01 PM
Curious what order we’ll go in as far as setting rules. First to join or random or what?
10/8/2021 10:24 PM
Random.org will determine order.
10/8/2021 10:40 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Build a Theme - Take 2 (FULL!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.