They Deserve More Topic

You can have a trial for anyone requesting it if the process is faster and there are more judges. I don’t think a trial can be denied. Weeding out can be done with expedited trials especially in cases with zero or little tangible evidence.
People who come in over the border should be ready for trial within 2-3 months max.
Trials have to be expedited in most cases....most.
Families should obviously not be separated.
Im not sure about the catch and release. I don’t generally have a good opinion of it. But I am in favor of it for people that present at the outset a colorable reasonable case for asylum after being screened.

There is just too much of a glut of people applying that have zero to no chance of asylum.
10/31/2021 11:22 PM (edited)
Maybe if we made immigration in general more easy there would be fewer illegitimate applications for asylum.

What's wrong with catch and release?
11/1/2021 12:45 AM
Because the percentage that don’t show up for court and stay illegally hidden from sight is extremely high.
Certainly not as high as the Trump administration said but nevertheless very very high.

When you add in the fact that the vast very vast majority of the asylum seekers do not even have meritorious claims it is a terrible thing for the United States and just plain wrong.

Detention centers absolutely should be improved but catch and release is wrong for our country and not a right for them.

Speeding up the process is good for the USA and creates a more humane situation for the asylum seekers.
11/1/2021 1:41 AM

Because the percentage that don’t show up for court and stay illegally hidden from sight is extremely high.

This is absolutely made up and not true. The overwhelming majority of asylum seekers show up for court.

"According to DOJ statistics, between 2013 and 2017, 92 percent of asylum seekers appeared in court to receive a final decision on their claims."
"Government figures made available through the Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) asylum decision tracking tool show near 100 percent appearance rates for asylum seekers released from immigration detention. Out of 10,427 decisions in fiscal year 2018 for released asylum seekers, only 160 received removal orders because they missed a court hearing—resulting in a 98.5 percent court hearing compliance rate."
"A 2018 study published by the American Immigration Council found that, between 2001 and 2016, 92 percent of asylum-seeking families who were released from immigration detention had complied with all immigration court hearing obligations at the conclusion of those proceedings."
"Specifically, the administration should restart the Family Case Management Program —a program that provided support to families released from detention—resulted in 99 percent attendance for ICE check-ins and appointments, as well as 100 percent attendance at court hearings."

https://www.humanrightsfirst.org/resource/fact-check-asylum-seekers-regularly-attend-immigration-court-hearings

Among those who don't show up, many don't have a lawyer or simply weren't properly notified of the court date... most people aren't malicious actors. Asylum seekers just want refuge here.

Also, keeping asylum seekers in detention strips valuable resources away from being able to present a competent case to stay in the country.... imagine how much more difficult it is to hire a lawyer and prepare evidence when you're locked in a detention center versus out in the actual world. There's no way to make detention centers humane. Keeping people in detention centers for long periods of time is fundamentally wrong. It also costs a ton of money. These arguments you're making are based on fear and lies.

11/1/2021 2:21 AM (edited)
Keep in mind that my actual position on immigration is a near-open border policy. I believe that aside from extremely thorough background checks, pretty much anyone who wants to come here should be allowed to.

Immigration is clearly a net good to the country when mixed with strong taxation programs and a social safety net. We should encourage as many as possible to come here so we can remain economically competitive with China. Producing more wealth overall means we're all better off.

Maybe it's just the libertarian/capitalist streak in me. People should be allowed to live where they want. I believe in free movement of labor and trade.
11/1/2021 2:24 AM
I read a bunch of articles and the research is showing that 83% of the non detained show up.
But in a new program of a rocket docket of 3 months almost half did not show up many possibly because they could not prepare their case.

They only let the people go into the community who they rationally think will return and the number is around 83% who show up. If all detainees were let go the number of no shows would be much higher.

If they have a faster system they will have to study the new data.
11/1/2021 8:00 AM (edited)
The USA remains competitive when it encourages and allows more highly skilled labor and specially talented people to emigrate here.
The USA has fallen short with this immigration program.

Immigration is fundamental to the United States and necessary for increased growth and prosperity for the country but obviously there cannot be a flood of immigrants so there have to be quotas. Every successful country believes in that and considers it non debatable.
As far as I am concerned more could be said but enough said.
11/1/2021 11:16 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
They Deserve More Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.