Missing posts -FAQ/Advice for Newbies Topic

Better to not bite the hands that feed you. He and Johnny Dots (JohnGPF) spent an enormous amount of time with anyone and everyone who asked for help. I agree, the snarky needs to end...some of us feel obligated to follow their lead, to pass on what was passed onto us.

Many of us old heads are really fed up with being the last at the bowl, as it was 2007 the last time this got a proper update, and that was Tarek's doing. We hang out here mainly because of the people that participate here. My suggestion to to appreciate a good bunch of people when you stumble upon them. They make it worth the wait.
1/6/2022 11:36 PM (edited)
Posted by just4me on 1/6/2022 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Contrarian is on a very short list that’s just him, johngpf, and biglenr in terms of helping new owners and passing on understanding of the site/game.

He bumped a bunch of help threads earlier in the week. My guess is he’s working on an updated help thread or two.

Maybe he did get tilted and deleted some things. Wouldn’t be the first time (biglenr did that once, too). We’ve all got our pushing points. But I’m more inclined to side on side of him being helpful until there’s more substance showing otherwise.
don forget you

yes you

if just4me is not in the top five all time in persistent continuing education, public and free, i will eat my mortarboard

1/6/2022 4:37 PM
Anybody that posts something in the regular non league threads can delete it for any reason and does not need permission or need to defend it or to have an arbiter decide as a judge and jury and self appointed maligner in chief as to whether it was legitimate or to be disparaged.

And that goes double for Contrarian.
1/6/2022 4:38 PM
Posted by bagchucker3 on 1/6/2022 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Contrarian is on a very short list that’s just him, johngpf, and biglenr in terms of helping new owners and passing on understanding of the site/game.

He bumped a bunch of help threads earlier in the week. My guess is he’s working on an updated help thread or two.

Maybe he did get tilted and deleted some things. Wouldn’t be the first time (biglenr did that once, too). We’ve all got our pushing points. But I’m more inclined to side on side of him being helpful until there’s more substance showing otherwise.
don forget you

yes you

if just4me is not in the top five all time in persistent continuing education, public and free, i will eat my mortarboard

I may be biased, but I absolutely agree with you on this
1/6/2022 4:39 PM
People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.... Maybe it would be beneficial to post something positive about the people on this site and not take offense at every perceived slight.
1/6/2022 10:29 PM
They can't help it, they feel they're the smartest kid in the room, so we are supposed to listen up. Luckily I don't have either the time nor inclination to read their long winded blather...I am equipped with my handy dandy DELETE key, so I've got that going for me...

I'm convinced that our world is becoming overloaded with those long on mouth, and short on humility. More focus on just being a good egg would be worth the effort.
1/6/2022 11:11 PM (edited)
So true Doc!! Love that line "long on mouth, short on humility"

Sounds like at least one of our former recent Presidents.
1/7/2022 8:05 AM
I've been thinking of making some general strategy posts when I have time, but all it takes is one dork with a vendetta to report the post and then it's effectively deleted and my time is wasted. bizarre decision to include a function in the forum software where anyone can delete anyone else's posts, the kind of thing that will obviously be abused by bad-faith actors.
1/7/2022 8:55 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by crazystengel on 1/6/2022 3:07:00 PM (view original):
I've been here for 15+ years so feel qualified to say that contrarian is one of the (probably the #1) most helpful owner on this site. Not just a great and knowledgeable owner, but a generous one.

As for being "rude" with newbies, however you look at it he at least takes the time to respond to their concerns with informative posts. Most of use will look at a newbie's silly hot take and just smile because we couldn't be bothered.

P.S. The "Block User" feature was implemented for a reason. Better to ignore the trolls than to engage with them.
I second what crazystengel is saying and have also been a consistent player for nearly 20 years. contrarian is one of the best players who has always been generous with his time in helping others. Please stay off his back. contrarian doesn't deserve anything but salutes and thank-yous. Good grief.
1/7/2022 12:16 PM
I concur.

Contrarian has been a blessing for anyone wanting to better themselves at this game. Yet also to us vets when we wanted to find an old post concerning a specific discussion, his posts were a great reference source.

I also understand why he might have deleted everything because he was tired of the crap. (If indeed that's why he did it.) I was never in his class as a helpful player, but I tried to give advice as well.

I once had a stalker on his site threaten a child of mine. (It was reported and Tarik dealt with it.) I also had/have some haters here as well. That is because I play this as "a game" and try to win every time, and use all tools available. I once got upset with it all went and then spent hours deleting every post I had ever made, up until that point and stopped posting for years.

That might have been Juvenile on my part, and at times I have regretted it. But yea, I understand.
1/16/2022 5:05 PM (edited)
OK, so question...is there an actual pin or post somewhere with tips or advice? Trying to get better at the game but need a helping hand (mostly with advanced settings) :)

1/20/2022 11:03 AM
Above this thread is the Advice for Newbies, and the Frequently Asked Questions thread, full of helpful information. Worth the read...
1/20/2022 11:40 AM

Seriously....a vast majority of what I learned from the site came from these owners and just4me (fatigue) and others. It would be a travesty if this information was gone forever.
1/21/2022 9:42 AM
I have been a participant in this for a number of years, sometimes serious but mostly just out of the enjoyment of learning the ins and outs of this game. I owe all of the enjoyment to the founding fathers (JohnGPF, redwingscup, DoctorKz, elbirdo, et al) and the frustration I take on myself when I become full of myself thinking Ive figured it all out. The list of contributors is long. I truly appreciate the insight. So, just wanted to extend my thanks to all the mentors in this game. You made it a lot of fun!
1/30/2022 8:17 PM
◂ Prev 12
Missing posts -FAQ/Advice for Newbies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.