Sac State Megathread: D1 success w/o D1 players? Topic

Posted by Fregoe on 1/20/2022 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Are D2 coaches actually signing D2 players? Since I started playing again a few months ago(team in every world ugh). I have not singed one player as a D2/3 coach that was projected to play in that division I would think this would acually help the D2 teams near D1 teams doing this
About a third of my scouting budget at D2 is D2 players.
1/21/2022 10:33 PM
Posted by texrangers18 on 1/21/2022 4:04:00 PM (view original):
I can already answer this. It won't work. Either at D1 or at D3.
I think this depends how you define success. I think you could consistently make the postseason at D3 with all D3 players but I don't think you'd survive past the first round most seasons.

At D1 I'm curious to see how cubcub and benis perform...Big Sky is a tough conference so cubcub could prove a lot of people wrong by just netting a positive conference record and a postseason appearance of any kind in his first 4-5 seasons.

Outside of loading up like a 0-0-6-6 lineup with the absolute highest potential players I'd say this strategy isn't viable for a deep NT run for sure.
1/22/2022 10:56 AM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 1/22/2022 10:56:00 AM (view original):
I think this depends how you define success. I think you could consistently make the postseason at D3 with all D3 players but I don't think you'd survive past the first round most seasons.

At D1 I'm curious to see how cubcub and benis perform...Big Sky is a tough conference so cubcub could prove a lot of people wrong by just netting a positive conference record and a postseason appearance of any kind in his first 4-5 seasons.

Outside of loading up like a 0-0-6-6 lineup with the absolute highest potential players I'd say this strategy isn't viable for a deep NT run for sure.
Also interested to see how well I can do. I'm not going to load up with any super class stuff, but try to do everything normally except just recruit Proj D2 guys.
1/22/2022 1:00 PM
I actually did try the "recruit D3 players at D3" for 12 seasons back mostly in 2018-2019. https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=518677

I managed to make the Final Four once, but that was because I had two of the best D3 players I'd ever seen on the team at the same time.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?&pid=4208645
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?&pid=4173642

These two guys were not even close to the average D3 player I managed to sign. I could reliably make the NT every season but rarely was able to get more success that that.
1/25/2022 12:45 PM
Holy hell! Both of those guys would be above average in DII. I can't believe they were in the DIII pool.

Also what sets were you running for this? Although with FCP you could probably get more guys with high stamina to offset other lack of abilities, from reading your post it might be worth it to run slower sets like motion / zone and try to play your 5 best guys 30+ minutes a night.
1/28/2022 9:52 AM (edited)
I see a lot of Sacramento st on my recruiting page…..
2/4/2022 6:06 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/4/2022 6:06:00 AM (view original):
I see a lot of Sacramento st on my recruiting page…..
Lol I’m a D2 in the area as well. Its all good though. It’s an interesting experiment; I’m curious to see how things work out.
2/4/2022 8:01 AM
Having seen cub show up in the Midwest, also, I'm going to make the assumption that he has now locked in on his targets and will not be surprising any schools that use up all their budget to knock down SIMs at this point. Right?
2/4/2022 10:01 AM
Posted by jweatherman on 2/4/2022 10:01:00 AM (view original):
Having seen cub show up in the Midwest, also, I'm going to make the assumption that he has now locked in on his targets and will not be surprising any schools that use up all their budget to knock down SIMs at this point. Right?
This is a very good guess. It is likely Sac State will be able to quickly jump on targets and control them through the session to try to mitigate the damages to D2 schools in the area.

Also, we are getting destroyed this year. Up to 0-18 in the 10 guy press. Overestimated how successful we'd be this year ;)
2/4/2022 11:01 AM
"My main worry about doing this is how much of a ***** I will be to the D2 teams in the area."

How about D3 teams in Minnesota?
2/4/2022 11:13 AM
I accidentally wasted about 10k scouting d1 this season. Oops.

got a few targets that look decent and have actually come across 2 other d1s recruiting d2 players.
2/4/2022 1:21 PM
I was really unsuccessful when I tried this. I wish you guys the best of luck. And don’t forget NJ always has JUCOS.
2/4/2022 3:42 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 1/22/2022 10:56:00 AM (view original):

I made the S16 when I did only D3 players at D3. It was hard but you could at least make the NT consistently.

At D1 I never made the NT. I think I tried for 6-7 seasons. It was brutal.

Cub and Benis are excellent coaches. Cub is significantly better than I am and Benis is at least better than I am. I honestly don’t think they can do it. I give them a less than 10% chance of ever winning 2 NT games in a season and less than 40% chance of winning one. I would be impressed if they even made the NT in a 1/2 way competitive conference.

2/4/2022 11:20 PM
Posted by HouseBert on 2/4/2022 9:34:00 PM (view original):
I think this is a silly experiment with a coach who is obviously just bored with HD. He has three teams all of which he is in the first year with. Just look at his resumes in those worlds. It reads like a list of Taylor Swift's exes. Now I get that he's typically a nice guy. He posts a lot of helpful stuff, but is just stupid. I just want a normal HD experience at a lower level like I'm used to. Not necessarily easy, but normal. A CA D1 coach scouting D2 players in South Dakota so he can get his rocks off in a game that he used to find fun and challenging isn't normal.
Ya know, you're not wrong! It is a silly experiment. But that's what some guys here do. Not that it's bad or I'm singling anybody out. I've thought of silly things to try. Thus particular experiment just depends on what kinda recruits get generated, because the fact that a player is in a D2 pool doesn't mean that he's not D1 talent (looking at you Kilbourne, D2 Naismith, North Alabama from a few seasons back). So if the talent is there to sign, this is an easy one. If not, it'll be more difficult).

I've seen a press team "no defense" make the championship game (which might as well be a title because it's just one game that could've went either way). It was all high SPD, high ST, and all players with 40 DEF or less.

I don't hate this experiment tho. I think the promoting of it is what makes it silly to YOU. But as you can see there are others interested, and even one other coach that's trying it as well. This is what is basketball math nerds do!
2/5/2022 3:42 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...9 Next ▸
Sac State Megathread: D1 success w/o D1 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.