Help for beginners 2022 Topic

Here are posts made by ashamael explaining the thought process of building teams, advanced stats, etc.
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=449629&TopicsTimeframe=365
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=445171&TopicsTimeframe=365&page=1
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=467920&page=1
Here is the link to the player seasons database.
https://static.whatifsports.com/nba/nba_salaries.zip
I will mention that some things in the zip file may not match what is actually used by the sim (such as minutes played in seasons with less than 82 games).

If you want some basic tips:
Draft at least 19,500 minutes to avoid season long fatigue.
Understand how the advanced stats are used.
Your starters should have a cumulative usage% of at least 100%.
Usually, your offense should be uptempo and your defense should be half court.
It's helpful to have players who are 100% effective at multiple positions.
If you join a draft league, look at previous versions of that league to see where certain players are generally drafted.

Be careful joining: first come first serve theme leagues, single season progressive leagues, and draft leagues in which there is a big drop-off in quality after the first few picks.
8/14/2022 6:56 PM (edited)
Why is an uptempo offense usually better than a half court offense, and would that change based on your players?

My current open league team starts Frazier, Raja Bell, Pippen, DeBusschere and 66-67 Wilt, with the main subs being Fat Lever and Satch Sanders. Thinking about that team in real life I don't see them as an uptempo offense and have been set at half court all season, but maybe what would make sense in real life is different than what would work in this sim. Would you run these guys with an uptempo offense?

Right now I am like 4 games out of the last playoff spot, and there are several clone and assists teams that are way better. There were 5 different LeBrons and 4 different Stocktons on the all start rosters. It's the last time I will ever play with clones or with that high assists bullschit.

All my main players are really good defenders, but it doesn't seem to matter as the high assists clone teams still shoot over 60% against my team.

5/23/2022 8:58 PM
I don't see a steal as gaining you a possession. You're gonna get the ball either after they score or after they miss a shot, or after a turnover that is not a steal, like traveling.. A steal ends an opponent's possession without them getting a shot or getting fouled, but it does not gain you another possession. The only way that you can get 2 possessions in a row is with an offensive rebound.
5/23/2022 9:19 PM
Posted by savoybg on 5/23/2022 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Why is an uptempo offense usually better than a half court offense, and would that change based on your players?

My current open league team starts Frazier, Raja Bell, Pippen, DeBusschere and 66-67 Wilt, with the main subs being Fat Lever and Satch Sanders. Thinking about that team in real life I don't see them as an uptempo offense and have been set at half court all season, but maybe what would make sense in real life is different than what would work in this sim. Would you run these guys with an uptempo offense?

Right now I am like 4 games out of the last playoff spot, and there are several clone and assists teams that are way better. There were 5 different LeBrons and 4 different Stocktons on the all start rosters. It's the last time I will ever play with clones or with that high assists bullschit.

All my main players are really good defenders, but it doesn't seem to matter as the high assists clone teams still shoot over 60% against my team.

1) uptempo increases FG% chance at the increased risk of turnovers - the payoff for a well-constructed team is usually worth it
2) I would not run those guys period - I recommend looking at the recent ODL draft thread to get an idea of what kind of players the vets value

as long as there is the exploit nothing else matters - that's why I recommend checking out the anti-state farm leagues which also typically don't allow clones

this is one such that still has some openings

League: NBA69136 - Public Theme
Theme: Anti State Farm 3k assist capped league
Founder: 3dboxingblog
Description: And were back we filled the last one up quick!!!! let's try and keep it going Same old rules 3000 assist max! $47m salary cap! no clones, no rookies no Waiver wires!! Besides, that lets have fun
Salary Cap: $47 million
5/24/2022 1:15 PM
I also recommend checking out the links to ash's fine treatises in the OP
5/24/2022 1:17 PM
Help for beginners 2022 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.