Promised start – tournament Topic

Posted by gillispie on 4/18/2022 11:00:00 PM (view original):
i feel like i get players who need 90% of minutes fairly often
Yeah, I had a player complain at 91% minutes last season. It was super annoying haha. It's best to try for 90%+ if possible, when it comes to minutes.
4/19/2022 12:52 PM
I go for more like 95
4/19/2022 3:01 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/19/2022 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tmacfan12 on 4/19/2022 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Also to anyone struggling to fulfill a promise (maybe you gave out like 4 25 mpg promises at different points in time when it was very hard to fulfill them recently like someone I know), remember that foul outs do not count towards MPG promise UNLESS you cover your promise. So if your promise is 20 MPG and you get 15, doesnt count. But 22 minutes does. That can be very helpful if you're working with a fine line, I just played my freshman SG Foster on my Chadron State team on foul trouble only with the foul out setting on leave in longer multiple times against bad sims to either quickly rack up minutes or worst case he fouls out and the game doesnt count. Helped me fulfill my 25 mpg promise while maintaining NT seeding.
just to clarify -

when it comes to the player evaluating the promises, from an initial complaint standpoint, the player does NOT ignore foul-out games under the promise amount. however, subsequent evaluations, specifically if you've met the promise since the initial complaint, and when it comes to the player's end of season 'did you meet the promise' evaluation - the foul-out games under the promise amount, are ignored.

so, if you have a 25m promise, and game 1 of the season, your guy plays 25m - but then for the next 6 games or whatever, he plays 15m with 5 fouls per game - he is going to end up complaining. probably after 7 games, i forget exactly when the first complaint comes (and if its the same for 1/day and 2/day). anyway, if that complaint came, my understanding is that if, immediately after, your guy gets a season-ending injury somehow (probably not possible but bear with me), that basically he'll end up staying and you'll have been considered to have fully met the promise. the reason being, he only has 1 valid game to consider, from a final-promises-evaluation standpoint. or from a 2nd-complaint-evaluation standpoint. and the guy played 25m. so he should be good! but the first complaint check does NOT account for that, so you would still get a 1st complaint, despite being in no actual jeopardy.
Good to know. What about with promised starts and consecutive games? I've read somewhere not to break a start promise in 3 consecutive games no matter what, even if you have started him 23/23 games and it is the final 3 games. Is that true?
4/19/2022 11:55 PM
I routinely don't start them the last 3-4 games. That way I can get a good feel for distribution for the postseason lineup. Never had a problem doing that.
4/20/2022 9:36 AM
agree with mlitney. not sure where you heard that, but it is totally bogus. i have had many, many players start 21/21 and then sit those last 5.
4/20/2022 10:43 AM
There is too much info floating around lol I swear I heard that, okay good to now for the future thank you! I purposely have not been starting my best lineup at the end of the season because of a rule that doesnt exist lmao
4/20/2022 12:28 PM
Posted by tmacfan14 on 4/20/2022 12:28:00 PM (view original):
There is too much info floating around lol I swear I heard that, okay good to now for the future thank you! I purposely have not been starting my best lineup at the end of the season because of a rule that doesnt exist lmao
that's what happens when folks don't really know what is going on - which is basically the case with most of us and promises, at most points in HD history. its not that promises are necessarily so complex, but the logic in there is fuzzy enough, so we all kinda like, grapple with it, and come up with our own nonsense in an attempt to explain what we see. with promises as they are now, they've changed so many time in the last 10 years, and perhaps they are buggy with undesired behavior that surprises even the game admins... so its just really kinda normal, i suppose, for a bunch of weird explanations to have bubbled up from the community.

at no point in HD and certainly not now, have i ever considered myself to have a 100% grip on promise logic, and i generally doubt there's anyone else who does, either. its a best-guesser competition, for sure. not to say there aren't parts we know, or statements we could make with a high degree of certainty, but its definitely not the whole kit and caboodle.
4/20/2022 3:09 PM
Do you think the old player dilemma ratings still play a role there? The whole, good kid bad kid thing that used to pop up in the psych evaluations I believe? Is that right? I was like 12 so that time period is for sure hazy but I'm wondering if there is something behind the scenes for each player that makes him more or less likely to complain about promises or to be unhappy about a redshirt offer or to be unhappy about a pulled scholarship offer that is still there that is tied in to the old dilemma system? Because if that were to be the case, why not just give us that old info back? If it isnt the case and that info is gone ignore me lol
4/20/2022 4:09 PM
allegedly, that stuff is completely gone. i perhaps could believe that is true, but i wouldn't be at all surprised if there turned out to be a back corner or two where it clung on. they had backed out the vast majority of it, pretty quickly. by the time i came, which i think was before your time, that stuff was basically already dead - the tools were there, but it was a waste and we were told to just ignore all that. the only exception was the NBA preference, which impacted how likely a guy was to go EE. you could find that out a lot cheaper from coach calls, i don't know that many folks realized that though. at some point in time, seble told us that all the personality stuff was completely gone now, even the nba preference, and further that nothing like that concept even existed anymore. i think its when he removed that personality option from the screens. that was before 3.0 wasn't it? i thought he did that before or around when the big board came out?

but i think sort of going wider, there is still stuff outside ratings, settings, and window dressing, at least it seems to me. like about promises, why are some more strict than the others, presumably this is something attached to each recruit and is unchanging for the life of them. i kinda think seble has talked about this some, and did it separate from the old personality traits - he is the one who did all these promises changes, i think he is the one who sort of brought back personality, if you will call it that, with his effort to make promises less predictable (he wanted to make it harder to game the system).

i do wonder about things like transfers, how likely is a guy to quit after complaining about minutes, unrelated to promises? it feels like that is the kind of thing that wouldn't be a RNG every time it comes up. but maybe it is? but i think in general its small stuff like that, that i still wonder about, if personality stuff might somehow still exist somewhere? but i do think seble tried pretty hard to stamp it out. if he stopped even generating that stuff (as opposed to what it was for a long time, when it was generated and discoverable just not used, even though it actually was used sometimes...) - then i would think its pretty safe to say its fully gone. not sure if that happened though? either way - its either gone or close - and allegedly promises aren't related. but i feel like that promise preference is really just the same thing by another name, personally.
4/20/2022 4:43 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/20/2022 4:43:00 PM (view original):
allegedly, that stuff is completely gone. i perhaps could believe that is true, but i wouldn't be at all surprised if there turned out to be a back corner or two where it clung on. they had backed out the vast majority of it, pretty quickly. by the time i came, which i think was before your time, that stuff was basically already dead - the tools were there, but it was a waste and we were told to just ignore all that. the only exception was the NBA preference, which impacted how likely a guy was to go EE. you could find that out a lot cheaper from coach calls, i don't know that many folks realized that though. at some point in time, seble told us that all the personality stuff was completely gone now, even the nba preference, and further that nothing like that concept even existed anymore. i think its when he removed that personality option from the screens. that was before 3.0 wasn't it? i thought he did that before or around when the big board came out?

but i think sort of going wider, there is still stuff outside ratings, settings, and window dressing, at least it seems to me. like about promises, why are some more strict than the others, presumably this is something attached to each recruit and is unchanging for the life of them. i kinda think seble has talked about this some, and did it separate from the old personality traits - he is the one who did all these promises changes, i think he is the one who sort of brought back personality, if you will call it that, with his effort to make promises less predictable (he wanted to make it harder to game the system).

i do wonder about things like transfers, how likely is a guy to quit after complaining about minutes, unrelated to promises? it feels like that is the kind of thing that wouldn't be a RNG every time it comes up. but maybe it is? but i think in general its small stuff like that, that i still wonder about, if personality stuff might somehow still exist somewhere? but i do think seble tried pretty hard to stamp it out. if he stopped even generating that stuff (as opposed to what it was for a long time, when it was generated and discoverable just not used, even though it actually was used sometimes...) - then i would think its pretty safe to say its fully gone. not sure if that happened though? either way - its either gone or close - and allegedly promises aren't related. but i feel like that promise preference is really just the same thing by another name, personally.
I joined October of 2005, Crum Season 6 was I believe my first season. I think dilemmas were still going strong or possibly had just changed? Its so hard to really look back there but I think I remember them stilling being around and them getting phased out but could be way wrong, it was fairly early though still. That's what I remember but then again I was 12 lol, this was a time period where I had to convince my parents that they would not lose their entire identities if they let me us their credit card on a website, so I don't remember too much about the actual game, I remember I signed the top 2 highest overall guys like a kid and that everyone was very nice mostly, my memories of HD pick up way more near the beginning of 2.0.

Interesting stuff though for sure, were the signing emails always window dressing? I had thought that some of the lines were leftover from the old system when it actually mattered, where when you get one thats like "If he's half of a good as a player as he is a young man, you'll have a great one on your hands". If not, doesn't change anything I've been doing lol but thought it was a cool thing leftover from a long ago era.
4/21/2022 8:49 AM
posting on this old thread 'cuz I hoped to find an answer here - I had a guy declared academically ineligible after the first term so I have lost him for most of the rest of the regular season. He was a promised start and promised minutes. I was perfect on my promises before he lost eligibility. Will I lose this player?

Side note/Data point: I am in two worlds. In the past week I have lost a player in each world under the following circumstances: no study hall minutes to start the year - warning letter after game 6 - promptly assign 12 study hall minutes - lose them anyway. I have been using this method for a while and i have never lost anyone before with 12 SH minutes assigned. Either these two guys were really unlucky or WIS tweaked something.
4/5/2023 11:18 AM
Posted by deroches on 4/5/2023 11:18:00 AM (view original):
posting on this old thread 'cuz I hoped to find an answer here - I had a guy declared academically ineligible after the first term so I have lost him for most of the rest of the regular season. He was a promised start and promised minutes. I was perfect on my promises before he lost eligibility. Will I lose this player?

Side note/Data point: I am in two worlds. In the past week I have lost a player in each world under the following circumstances: no study hall minutes to start the year - warning letter after game 6 - promptly assign 12 study hall minutes - lose them anyway. I have been using this method for a while and i have never lost anyone before with 12 SH minutes assigned. Either these two guys were really unlucky or WIS tweaked something.
no, games where the player is incapable of playing due to injury or grades don't count. that can cut both ways - if you are in good shape, its nice. if you go into the grades situation with a complaint, that's usually pretty bad. but in your case, you are all good. i would meet his promises when he comes back for the last 2 or so games of the regular season, to play it safe, and then pull him for the post season as per usual. this is a conservative approach, you almost certainly can play games those last couple regular season games...

WIS did not tweak anything, the RNG spread on grades is pretty darn wide and always has been. i basically do the same thing as you, except with less than 12 minutes, and i almost never lose anyone. but if its really important not to lose a freshman (sometimes i actually prefer to lose them to get some wiggle room on my depth chart when i have like 4 promises), then i will often do like 5 or 6 minutes before mid terms as well. if you want to be safer than you are, guys with a HS GPA of 2.6 or less are definitely the higher risk ones, you could give them some minutes (perhaps when them failing to grades matters to you).
4/5/2023 12:04 PM
Thanks Gillespie! yes, starting a FR in no fun, and as long as I don't lose the player it nets out as a good thing.
4/5/2023 12:25 PM
Posted by deroches on 4/5/2023 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Gillespie! yes, starting a FR in no fun, and as long as I don't lose the player it nets out as a good thing.
one thing i would recommend is working on getting good at juggling freshman promised starts. i tend to find its not a major problem until i get to 4, but it takes some finesse to get there. you generally need to really prioritize offense in your remaining 1-2 starters, or like, 3-4 if you have that - but 1-2 freshman promises should frankly be a cake walk. if possible, have your non-freshman starting at point guard, and if possible, work to shake up your rotation so that those freshman end up rotating, so its not all 4 on and off together. this is hard if their stamina is all the same, but a combination of depth chart trickery and/or target minutes can get you there.

target minutes can be super valuable, if you aren't press. it can still be highly valuable if you are pressing, for the regular season promise management shenanigans. i have run target minutes for some of my NT games for championship seeking d1 man teams, so it really can be quite viable and perhaps even optimal in some situations. it sucks at dealing with foul trouble and you have to manually adjust it for fatigue like, literally every game where the pace is shifting. so its work, and its not really for press teams in the NT and generally not great against press teams, either. but it can make a huge difference when you are juggling 3-5 promised starts.
4/5/2023 1:55 PM
Quick question on this - AFTER the complaint email about promises, does it move to 100% of the promised minutes being required (with the exception of foul outs which can only help but won't hurt), or is it like 90%? Trying to figure out as I'm in the CT with a guy who is 2 minutes shy of 100%, so trying to figure out if I need to swallow the pill and get him 27 minutes in a CT game, which would suck. Thanks.
3/8/2024 12:10 PM
◂ Prev 12
Promised start – tournament Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.