Back in 1974 - Marshall, Will and Holly went on a routine expedition. Little did they know they were about to wind up in an alternate universe. In that universe there were devices where people from different times could appear or disappear. This is the inspiration for the league.
This will be a 16 team league that starts play in 1974. The original 16 franchises - in their modern form - will be used for the league. The franchises will be disbursed through a random draft.

Here's how the league will work. You select a franchise. You will form your initial squad from your 1974 franchise roster with the exception of no 1974 rookies or 1974 split season players. You will also have at your disposal your franchise's roster from a randomly selected year from either the past or the future. Your total roster size will be limited to the 25 man roster, 6 AAA hitters and 2 AAA pitchers for a total of 33 players.

Example - you have the 1974 Cincinnati Reds. The additional year of play is randomly drawn as 1952. So, now you have the 1974 Reds and 1952 Reds to make up your team. Plus the league will draft rookies, split season players and undrafted veterans from the year in play - 1974. You can have up to 33 players on your team. The only limitation is you cannot have a clone on your team.

After the first season the league will progress to 1975 plus a new randomly drawn year plus the 1975 rookies and 1975 undrafted veterans. However, the players from the prior season's random year have now disappeared - they have entered the Land of the Lost.

So each year you will have your core squad from the year of play plus a randomly drawn group of players plus the rookies and undrafted veterans from the year of play to comprise your team. Any player from the current year of play that you do not keep on your team will enter the next year's draft.

Rules:

No salary cap
DH in both AL and NL
AAA - 6 hitters and 2 pitchers. You can only use AAA players that you draft. No WIS AAA players can be used.
No I/R
No Waiver Wire
Keeper lists will be posted AFTER the draft. Any player you draft must be on your roster - 25 man or AAA - for that season. Example - you draft someone in 1974. That player must be somewhere on your squad in 1974.

Random Year of Play - the random year of play will be selected from a 50 year window - 1949 to 1999. The random year can only be used once. The random year cannot be the year of play.

Trades - Yes; Draft picks can be traded for up to 3 draft cycles - example 1974, 1975 and 1976. In season trades are subject to league vote - 10 vetoes will defeat the trade. Offseason trades subject to vote if 4 owners ask for a review.

Trade vetoes:

In season trades will be submitted through WIS and will be subject to a league vote. 10 votes are needed for a veto.

Off season trades will be voted upon if 4 owners object to the trade. The vote will be administered by the commissioner unless the commissioner is involved in the trade. Then an owner that is not involved will be asked to administer the vote. The vote will have results publicly displayed and 10 votes are needed for a veto.

Team names - pick anything you want. The ballpark you use should align with your franchise.

Rookie - the first year a player appears in the WIS database will be his rookie season and he will enter the draft pool.

Injured reserve - None

Player draft - Each draft class will include all rookie players and any unsigned veterans from the league year of play.

Player draft list - The commissioner will take all due care to prepare the list of available players. All league owners will have the opportunity to review the list in advance of the draft. Any mistake or omission will need to be addressed prior to the start of the draft. After the draft has started no alterations can be made to the draft list. An eligible player that was not included on the list will not be available for that draft class.

Draft order - the inaugural draft will be set by random draw. All subsequent drafts will be based upon league standings with the bottom 4 teams entering an evenly weighted draft lottery. 40 wins are required to be eligible for the lottery. Teams failing to meet that threshold will draft no higher than 5th. Tiebreakers - Head to Head, then runs scored head to head then home games won for the season.

Split season players - for the purposes of building your initial team you can select players that played only for your franchise. Players that played for more than one team in 1974 will be included in the draft pool.

Loopholes - the commissioner reserves the right to close unintended loopholes in the rules with advance notice to the league.

Franchise list:
Boston Red Sox
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Guardians ( Cleveland Indians until 2022 )
Detroit Tigers
New York Yankees
Oakland A's ( Philadelphia A's until 1955, Kansas City A's until 1968 )
Baltimore Orioles ( St. Louis Browns until 1954 )
Minnesota Twins ( Washington Senators until 1961 )
Atlanta Braves ( Boston Braves until 1953, Milwaukee Braves until 1966 )
Los Angeles Dodgers ( Brooklyn Dodgers until 1958 )
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati Reds
San Francisco Giants ( New York Giants until 1958 )
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
St. Louis Cardinals
Play ball!
Owners:

Pmars2001
Sigblend
Fatguyrd
Poddy
Ribbentrop
Dbrom
Ceno1515
Tcy0503
ff09
BullMoose
Landry19
7/27/2022 3:40 PM (edited)
1. Players from the random year, are split season and rookies still excluded here? Because they don’t go into the draft I don’t think they should be.

2. Do we pick franchise at signup?
4/27/2022 10:51 PM (edited)
Dumb question, does Injured reserve - None mean we just skip forward for missed seasons? Either way I’m in. Sounds like a fun league.
4/27/2022 8:45 PM
Posted by fatguyrd on 4/27/2022 10:51:00 PM (view original):
1. Players from the random year, are split season and rookies still excluded here? Because they don’t go into the draft I don’t think they should be.

2. Do we pick franchise at signup?
The entire random year squad from your franchise is available to you.

The franchise will be randomly drafted after sign ups.
4/28/2022 6:08 AM
Posted by pmars2001 on 4/27/2022 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Dumb question, does Injured reserve - None mean we just skip forward for missed seasons? Either way I’m in. Sounds like a fun league.
Injure reserve - None - means there will be no injured reserve. If a player has a missing season he is gone / lost from your team. He will enter the league again as an undrafted veteran.

Thanks for joining the league!
4/28/2022 6:10 AM
Sign me up
4/28/2022 7:26 AM
Posted by fatguyrd on 4/28/2022 7:26:00 AM (view original):
Sign me up
Welcome!
4/28/2022 7:49 AM
I recommend zero win minimum to protect tge guys that get a lousy franchise
4/28/2022 12:09 PM
4/28/2022 12:11 PM
Posted by jeff4noles on 4/28/2022 12:11:00 PM (view original):
The depth of talent that will be available in this league should be sufficient for every team to be competitive. You have your squad, your squad from the past or present plus draft picks. There should be ample opportunities to compete.
4/28/2022 1:32 PM
I assume all the players from the 8 expansion teams existing in 1974 will also be part of the draft.
4/28/2022 1:39 PM
Posted by fatguyrd on 4/28/2022 1:39:00 PM (view original):
I assume all the players from the 8 expansion teams existing in 1974 will also be part of the draft.
Yes. Any player not on a team for the year of play ( 1975 for example ) will be included in the draft. This applies to your own team as well. If you bump your 1974 2nd baseman for the random year 2nd baseman the 1974 player will be part of the 1975 draft and the random year player will disappear in to the land of the lost.
4/28/2022 1:44 PM
Posted by sigblend on 4/28/2022 1:32:00 PM (view original):
The depth of talent that will be available in this league should be sufficient for every team to be competitive. You have your squad, your squad from the past or present plus draft picks. There should be ample opportunities to compete.
like i heard that before.Look teams like the Cubs for example have limited talent not only dont they get a high initial pick to start the draft they could end up with the last pick in the draft for every round.While teams like Philly Pittsburgh Ciny LA with a deep roster get the first crack at a guy like George Brett.Do you see my point.
4/28/2022 7:07 PM
Posted by jeff4noles on 4/28/2022 7:07:00 PM (view original):
like i heard that before.Look teams like the Cubs for example have limited talent not only dont they get a high initial pick to start the draft they could end up with the last pick in the draft for every round.While teams like Philly Pittsburgh Ciny LA with a deep roster get the first crack at a guy like George Brett.Do you see my point.
No. I do not see your point. The draft order for the first draft or any other draft has not been set so I don't know how you can assess that the Cubs "don't get a high initial pick". The owners in the league will have 2 squads of their own franchise plus rookie draft picks plus undrafted veterans to use to build a 25-man roster. I simply don't see how that is not ample players available to build a competitive team.
4/29/2022 6:16 AM
Posted by sigblend on 4/29/2022 6:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jeff4noles on 4/28/2022 7:07:00 PM (view original):
No. I do not see your point. The draft order for the first draft or any other draft has not been set so I don't know how you can assess that the Cubs "don't get a high initial pick". The owners in the league will have 2 squads of their own franchise plus rookie draft picks plus undrafted veterans to use to build a 25-man roster. I simply don't see how that is not ample players available to build a competitive team.
You misread my post.I said a poor team lets use the Cubs for example,who won like 66 games I think.Say they get the last pick in the draft.Its a possiblity you must admit that.The reds have a stacked team.Look at the 74 draft it is rather weak.Yes George Brett is there.Dont you see my point that a good team like Cincy Pittsburgh Boston could get lucky and get the first overall pick due to your random selection.Menawhile the lower teams like The white sos cubs lose out on that player.If this happens owners will lave and you will constantly have to get new owners.Nice idea but the randomness idea could backfire.
4/29/2022 8:24 AM
12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.