I will consider joining, (still not sure), if you drop AAA or make it for trade purposes only. Why?.... jeff4noles did have a point that I will extend beyond his concern, The owners who get one of the power teams like the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers will have an advantage over the owners who get one of the weaker Franchises like the Twins, Cubs, Indians, Pirates.
Season draws may be random for everyone but certain Franchises have a lot more good seasons and good players than others so their chances that they get a good draw is going to happen more often. That's a fact. With a "No Salary Cap" there is no limit to the quality of a random player they can roster. With 6/2 AAA spots they will also be able to store away other really good players already on their roster instead of having to Cut some of those good players.

In all reality, the power Franchises will get to use their better random players, like MickeyMantle, SandyKoufax, WillieMays, TedWilliams and store their drafted players in AAA for if and when they get a weak draw, while incurring no cost to their main roster.

Also, with all of the available talent, 25 man rosters will have a lot of full-time type players on the bench already. There should be no need for AAA.
8/6/2022 10:57 AM
Posted by bheid408 on 8/6/2022 10:57:00 AM (view original):

I will consider joining, (still not sure), if you drop AAA or make it for trade purposes only. Why?.... jeff4noles did have a point that I will extend beyond his concern, The owners who get one of the power teams like the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers will have an advantage over the owners who get one of the weaker Franchises like the Twins, Cubs, Indians, Pirates.
Season draws may be random for everyone but certain Franchises have a lot more good seasons and good players than others so their chances that they get a good draw is going to happen more often. That's a fact. With a "No Salary Cap" there is no limit to the quality of a random player they can roster. With 6/2 AAA spots they will also be able to store away other really good players already on their roster instead of having to Cut some of those good players.

In all reality, the power Franchises will get to use their better random players, like MickeyMantle, SandyKoufax, WillieMays, TedWilliams and store their drafted players in AAA for if and when they get a weak draw, while incurring no cost to their main roster.

Also, with all of the available talent, 25 man rosters will have a lot of full-time type players on the bench already. There should be no need for AAA.
I appreciate that you are considering joining. I hope that you do as I think this will be an interesting league.

I will not unilaterally disband AAA. If the owners already entered want to discuss that option, then I am all ears. But unless I misread your question, I believe you may have the wrong impression about the random year players. You don't get to keep them. They are one and done players. Having Mickey Mantle for one season means someone else has to go from your team. Whoever is let go to make room for a one-year Mantle will go back to the draft pool. Will that mean you have to cut an all-star? Probably not.

I expect that AAA will mainly be used for rookies and players having an off year. There's no I/R in the league so I can see AAA having value for getting a replacement for the I/R player on standby.

There can always be what ifs and second guessing whenever a new league starts. I will say this and stand by the statement. I am open, at any point, to adjusting the rules of the league provided there is a majority of owners that wish to make the change.

8/6/2022 3:10 PM
I just found this a confusing league.I am upset that people said I sabotaged this leah gue with my questions.I thought the questions legitiamte.Any way ithe more I read the rules the more confusing it gets.I think BHEID rised even more valid points than I raised.Anyway its been 3 plus month trying to fill so I gues sothers feel the same way.

8/6/2022 4:08 PM (edited)
OK with me to drop AAA
8/6/2022 8:16 PM
I understand the rules and that you do NOT get to keep your random players for more than the one season drawn.
If everyone has 4 bench spots being used for hitters plus 6 more in AAA = 10 total, these 10 spots are just for Hitters that won't play much. To start, no one is going to take a random year player and put them on the bench and definitely not in AAA. They might be a platoon type player, otherwise it isn't going to happen. If everyone has 10 hitters on the bench and in AAA, almost all of them they will be from the progressing season. Let's assume everyone uses about 4 Hitters from their random draw team. That number is almost half of your lineup which might even be too high. Of course this will be determined by the draw. That means you will have from the 1974 season roughly 5 hitters in your lineup and 10 bench and AAA hitters. Take those 15 hitters X 16 teams = 240 Hitters total. Now go to the draft center and advance to the 240th hitter using 1974. You are talking about players that cost less than $1.5M that would have to be Cut for random draw players. I don't see that as a cost that is going to affect anyone. Now take away the 6 AAA spots X 16 Teams and you move the needle up to the 140th player or the $3M mark. Quite a difference.

I will ask two questions,
1.Do you think losing less than a $1.5M player is enough of a penalty to take a random player or would losing a $3M player be better?
2.Is having $1.5M players in AAA going to help anyone when you can fill holes on your roster with random draw players?
8/7/2022 11:17 AM (edited)
Posted by bheid408 on 8/7/2022 11:17:00 AM (view original):
I understand the rules and that you do NOT get to keep your random players for more than the one season drawn.
If everyone has 4 bench spots being used for hitters plus 6 more in AAA = 10 total, these 10 spots are just for Hitters that won't play much. To start, no one is going to take a random year player and put them on the bench and definitely not in AAA. They might be a platoon type player, otherwise it isn't going to happen. If everyone has 10 hitters on the bench and in AAA, almost all of them they will be from the progressing season. Let's assume everyone uses about 4 Hitters from their random draw team. That number is almost half of your lineup which might even be too high. Of course this will be determined by the draw. That means you will have from the 1974 season roughly 5 hitters in your lineup and 10 bench and AAA hitters. Take those 15 hitters X 16 teams = 240 Hitters total. Now go to the draft center and advance to the 240th hitter using 1974. You are talking about players that cost less than $1.5M that would have to be Cut for random draw players. I don't see that as a cost that is going to affect anyone. Now take away the 6 AAA spots X 16 Teams and you move the needle up to the 140th player or the $3M mark. Quite a difference.

I will ask two questions,
1.Do you think losing less than a $1.5M player is enough of a penalty to take a random player or would losing a $3M player be better?
2.Is having $1.5M players in AAA going to help anyone when you can fill holes on your roster with random draw players?
There is no straight answer to your question. Almost every team from almost every year is going to have someone below $1.5 mil that you would keep vs. a random year player. For example - 1974 Orioles have Al Bumbry and Enos Cabell at lower than $1.5 mil as they are early in their careers. I would guess the owner of that squad would want to keep those guys.

Having a $1.5 million dollar or less player in AAA will most likely not be an immediate benefit to the team. However, I will go back to Bumbry and Cabell and say there is a future benefit for having those guys in AAA.

I appreciate your questions and I'm happy to answer them. The difficulty in this process is that there is always a what if scenario we can discuss. My philosophy on this is that I had an idea for a league and while it may not be perfect it certainly is a starting point. I am always open to suggestions.
8/7/2022 2:52 PM
Thanks for your reply. I like leagues that are NOT usual and this one definitely falls into that catagory. I'm just not sure it is going to be fair for everyone.
Would you consider making the Franchise draw season be randomly assigned each year? In other words, 1 year you might get a season from the Reds Franchise, next year it might be from the Cubs, next year might be from the Phillies and so on...? That way owners are not locked into the same Franchise for the entirety of the league, then the teams like the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers don't go to the same owner every season. It kind of levels the playing field.
8/7/2022 11:19 PM
Posted by bheid408 on 8/7/2022 11:19:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for your reply. I like leagues that are NOT usual and this one definitely falls into that catagory. I'm just not sure it is going to be fair for everyone.
Would you consider making the Franchise draw season be randomly assigned each year? In other words, 1 year you might get a season from the Reds Franchise, next year it might be from the Cubs, next year might be from the Phillies and so on...? That way owners are not locked into the same Franchise for the entirety of the league, then the teams like the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers don't go to the same owner every season. It kind of levels the playing field.
You have raised interesting points with all of your questions so thanks for asking them.

There are 15 owners signed up for the league as is. I will not unilaterally change anything at this point. But if the owners in the league want to support any of your ideas then I am open to a discussion.
8/8/2022 6:15 AM
If you can get the other 10 owners who have signed up as well as yourself to go along with the random Franchise draw idea I will join.
If that change is made. I am good with the 6/2 AAA spots.
If you cannot get that done then I will pass.
8/8/2022 9:21 AM
b
8/10/2022 5:43 PM
This post has been up long enough and the market has spoken so I am closing down the sign ups.

I don't understand why some owners feel the need to throw rocks at an idea if they have no intention of joining a league. Asking questions and / or making suggestions is all well and good. But reading a post and then trying to pick it apart without ever intending to join is just unnecessary.
8/14/2022 6:06 PM
Posted by sigblend on 8/14/2022 6:06:00 PM (view original):
This post has been up long enough and the market has spoken so I am closing down the sign ups.

I don't understand why some owners feel the need to throw rocks at an idea if they have no intention of joining a league. Asking questions and / or making suggestions is all well and good. But reading a post and then trying to pick it apart without ever intending to join is just unnecessary.
Are you sure they never had any intention of joining and not that they just wanting to make sure they understand the concept which then led to point out the flaws within it?
Obviously the idea had some things that needed to be addressed or the so called "rocks" wouldn't have been "thrown".
Not every idea is a good one or that everyone agrees with it. I've had multiple league ideas that never filled. Heck some of them don't even get 1 owner to sign up. Doesn't mean you don't make adjustments and try again. Keep your head up!
8/14/2022 7:31 PM
Posted by bheid408 on 8/14/2022 7:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sigblend on 8/14/2022 6:06:00 PM (view original):

Are you sure they never had any intention of joining and not that they just wanting to make sure they understand the concept which then led to point out the flaws within it?
Obviously the idea had some things that needed to be addressed or the so called "rocks" wouldn't have been "thrown".
Not every idea is a good one or that everyone agrees with it. I've had multiple league ideas that never filled. Heck some of them don't even get 1 owner to sign up. Doesn't mean you don't make adjustments and try again. Keep your head up!
Sent you a sitemail.
8/14/2022 7:51 PM
Was looking forward to this. Thought it was a good original idea. Liked the random team, combined with the season team.
8/14/2022 7:58 PM
Sorry things turned out as they did ... Keep me Posted
8/15/2022 1:57 PM
◂ Prev 12345

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.