How short was this par 5 if you only had 180 left on your second? Wait, i'm actually thinking it was 595 and Ole Bob had a massive drive when he was younger.
5/26/2022 8:08 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 5/25/2022 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 5/25/2022 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 5/24/2022 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Definitely a sport and probably the hardest one.
I don't know about that. Hitting a baseball at upwards of 90 miles an hour is probably harder
I’ve done both. Hitting a stationary golf ball sitting there laughing at you is much harder than hitting 90 MPH. The margin for error is much smaller on a golf course than a baseball field.
I've done both as well..or rather I have hit a stationary golf ball, but have only tried to hit a 90 MPH fastball
5/27/2022 1:19 AM
Posted by laramiebob on 5/26/2022 7:57:00 PM (view original):
Bellingham course. Sudden Valley IF I remember right. Hit my drive into a trap. Got lucky and "swept" a 5 iron (seemed like) a mile, slight draw. Prolly went maybe 175-180 and hit the green and stopped. 3 feet. Pin high. My knees were knocking but I made the putt.

BTW, LNF. My best ever round (18 holes) happened at the Chiliwack Golf and Country Club. I remember thinking (at the time) that the fairways were like velvet. Made a few putts that day. It was 50 years ago now, if it was a day.
Chilli wack is a good course, but I haven't played it in ages. Ok my first Eagle: Par five. 525 but drops over 40 feet and plays like 480. Big drive, then just a tad short with a 5 iron, then chip in for YEAHHH.

Never played Sudden Valley. Lowest score ever.. was at UBC, but my best ever game/round was at peace Portal. With a lost ball.

I play my best golf from the Keyboard, not the tees. Lol. Recently was 2-3 over bogies on a par 3 golf course..

The game messes with your head.. So do you remember the score at CG&CC?
5/27/2022 4:58 AM
79. But I think there was some Trumpish scorecard keeping. My little sister was doing the counting.
5/27/2022 8:50 AM
As for that eagle. Coach is on the right track. Once in a while I could really boom a driver. Over 300 yards was not unusual for me back in the day.
5/27/2022 8:51 AM
yeah, if I tried I could boom a driver, but no matter how hard I tried I could never hit a 90 MPH fastball...at all. Not even a foul tip, and I am fairly coordinated..or I used to be when I was younger.
5/27/2022 4:55 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 5/27/2022 8:51:00 AM (view original):
As for that eagle. Coach is on the right track. Once in a while I could really boom a driver. Over 300 yards was not unusual for me back in the day.
You hit pretty long, and sound like you have been single digit HC for a bit. My longest was 320..Nothing else over 301, not much over 290

Still, a sweet hit still feels so good

Thing is, we only hit 14 drives a round.. First time I broke 80, I was hitting 3 wood off the tee. Driver getting re gripped Give up maybe 10 - 12 yards.. but my driver is not one of those 7 deg lofted thingys. More like 10.5

For decades, the best teaching pro in the Greater Vancouver area was a guy named Jack Westover. Took lots of lessons from him. I lost track of him ages ago, but he would be at least 93 y.o. today

So many guys NEVER break 90, but they refuse to take a lesson. Dunno how that is supposed to work

If you never take a lesson, read Tim Gellway's 'Inner Game OF Golf.' Do what he says and if your best ever is an 84, you will have some rounds in the 70's before that summer is out.. but you gotta do the drills.

Ever practice putting with your eyes closed? Takes all the pressure off, and the idea is to try to guess where the ball went, and then look up and see how good your guess was. I do the same with Chip shots, too. 10 -15 feet off the green (where the mis-hit second shot usually is) Every so often you think you were close, but then you hear *plop* and that smile returns to your face
5/28/2022 2:25 AM
Lessons are not a necessity. I have friends that play professionally that have never had a lesson. Practice time is the key to scoring well. I beat the majority of the guys I play with because I’m really good around the greens. They usually out drive me and most are more accurate with their irons, but that’s not where you win.
5/28/2022 7:28 AM
Posted by strikeout26 on 5/28/2022 7:28:00 AM (view original):
Lessons are not a necessity. I have friends that play professionally that have never had a lesson. Practice time is the key to scoring well. I beat the majority of the guys I play with because I’m really good around the greens. They usually out drive me and most are more accurate with their irons, but that’s not where you win.
Maybe not a necessity, but I repeat: If you have never broken 90, etc Most of the pros do lessons to groove the swing

but your game from 50 feet in will make you are break you
5/29/2022 6:16 AM
Bob, if you ever venture east towards Charleston, I’m definitely paying for you to go play a round of Kiawah with me.
5/29/2022 11:53 AM
Well, that'd be nice. They'll let old duffers go for a round at 85+ I assume?
5/29/2022 4:01 PM
$85? Hahahahaha! It's like $500 before caddy fees.
5/29/2022 7:20 PM
It's also gonna be underwater in about 20 years, so you may want to jump on the offer before it doesn't exist.
5/29/2022 7:28 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 5/29/2022 7:20:00 PM (view original):
$85? Hahahahaha! It's like $500 before caddy fees.
$500 for a round of golf is one of the main reasons I don't play golf. Another is I don't find it very much fun.
5/31/2022 4:20 PM
I was talking about my age when I get there NOT the green fees! LOL
5/31/2022 9:12 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.