(DDL) 33--The 70's- Commentary Topic

5/23/2022 8:43 PM
I ran a 64 team tournament with the greatest teams of all time using this sim, and none of the ABA teams did well. That's why I thought that those players may be knocked down a certain percentage by the sim. The 85-86 Celtics won the tournament. Here's the link to all of the games:

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=679&start=1755

It starts about 1/3 of the way down the page. There's at least one team in the tournament from every current franchise I believe. When picking a franchise's entry I usually went with the better point differential team over a lesser team that went further in the playoffs. Like I took the 73 Celtics rather than the 74 or 76 Celtics who won championships..

The modern teams did better overall than the older teams.. Much of that is the 3 pointers, as if you shoot at least 33% on three it's like shooting 50% on twos and the more threes you shoot the better as long as you are shooting like 35% or better from three as a team. So the recent modern teams. Some older teams might shoot a good pct. on threes, but they will shoot take many threes, so the more modern teams have an advantage when playing the older teams.
5/23/2022 9:34 PM
Do I did this a few years ago myself too, 85-86 celtics made the finals but lost to the 94-95 Spurs of all teams

https://challonge.com/9vkc2cfz
5/23/2022 11:19 PM
I’ve heard so many bad and good and bad reviews of Winning Time…should I start it?
5/24/2022 12:24 AM
Posted by Uofa2 on 5/24/2022 12:24:00 AM (view original):
I’ve heard so many bad and good and bad reviews of Winning Time…should I start it?
Well it's not very factually accurate, but the episodes I saw were pretty interesting. The guy who plays Kareem is 6-9, but the guy playing Magic is only 6-3. The guy playing Bird was good, looked a lot like him too.
5/24/2022 12:29 AM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 5/23/2022 11:19:00 PM (view original):
Do I did this a few years ago myself too, 85-86 celtics made the finals but lost to the 94-95 Spurs of all teams

https://challonge.com/9vkc2cfz
Looks like we took many of the same teams, but I did not use that Spurs team. Yours were all best of 7 and mine were just one game, so yours was probably more accurate as to who the best teams were. The 86 Celtics have 5 hall of famers (Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ and Walton) and 2 other all stars (Ainge, Wedman). Hard for teams to match that. The '73 Knicks had 6 hall of famers Frazier, Monroe, DeBusschere, Reed, Bradley and Lucas, although Bradley was not a hall of famer because of his pro career. Also Dick Barnett was an all star once. Phil Jackson is a hall of fame coach, as are Holtzman and KC Jones.
5/24/2022 12:40 AM
Posted by Uofa2 on 5/24/2022 12:24:00 AM (view original):
Very entertaining, acting is very good and tells an interesting story. A lot of controversy on Jerry West's character. Idk how accurate or inaccurate it is but I like Jerry West's character a lot in it. Very hyper competitive but human.

Fun Fact: Norm Nixon's own son is who plays him in the show which I think is awesome!
5/24/2022 11:48 AM
Hey guys, we just need a few more coaches for the Banned League. It’s a great theme league where u get to play some players u don’t always see.
5/24/2022 12:03 PM
This draft is like phucking molasses.
5/24/2022 10:09 PM
Admu95 appears to be missing.
5/24/2022 10:42 PM
Which was the first non-chalk draft pick? I really debated taking Gilmore and could see that he was the consensus pick. After that, Reed was a bold choice
5/24/2022 11:06 PM
Posted by BenJoker on 5/24/2022 11:06:00 PM (view original):
Which was the first non-chalk draft pick? I really debated taking Gilmore and could see that he was the consensus pick. After that, Reed was a bold choice
Yes, and no Walton season is among the 50 highest salaries.
5/24/2022 11:34 PM
Posted by coachcroft on 5/25/2022 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Well I'm going to assume that someone who's ready, willing and able should get the team, seeing as how we just need to move on.

I've run and been part of loads of drafts for baseball leagues on Diamond Mind and other games, and for me, the draft is always the best part of any league. This is gonna be loads of fun. I just made the 9th pick, and I don't pick again until #40. Had to take Haywood. You guys say that ABA guys are just as good, and 69-70 Haywood has got the second highest salary of any player, and with so many post players already taken I had to go with him. He's at 100% at either PF or C, so we'll see who else I get which will determine where he's gonna play. He's also got the most minutes of any eligible player, and one of 4 players who averages 45+ minutes per game after the 82 game conversion.
5/25/2022 2:54 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
5/26/2022 3:29 PM
Yes Ben, pickins will get slim quickly, but that's what separates the men from the boys in a draft like this. ANYBODY can draft all great starters in open leagues where there are clones and repeat players. Mush different story where there is only one of each player available for a league with 288 distinct players. Of course our teams will still be much better than most real life teams, with 11 seasons to pick from and no salary cap. But which owners will be able to grab some diamonds in the rough in like the 5th and 6th rounds?
5/26/2022 10:13 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
(DDL) 33--The 70's- Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.