FC Dynasty Cup IX - Fighting Ants - Champion Topic

The Championship Round has finally arrived.

#11 FC Kingston, the Cinderella of the tournament, fought hard but couldn't overcome the aggregate defecit. Falling behind twice and then only able to get level but never ahead, the 2-2 tie gives the aggregate win to #2 The Shield of the Cow with a final score of 9-7. Quong Ikeda failed to score and is now locked in with 13 goals. He can still share the L'Orteil D'or if nobody reaches 14. Congrats to Kingston for taking a double-digit seed all the way to the semis.

The Championship finals will pit the winners of the last two Cups (dynasties in the making?) There is no time frame for the finals, so scheduling will be at the discretion of two teams involved. The Cow is rolling over (lol) and may want to wait a few days to sign some players. No pressure from the tournament director. There are also no seeds. This is not #1 versus #2. Therefore, I will be doing a random.org 20 coin coin flip to determine which team will host the first tiebreaker game, if necessary. For the purposes of the coin flip, Ants will be heads and The Cow tails. I will post the coin flip results tomorrow.

The ultimate prize is only one series win away.

7/27/2022 9:13 AM
If the two losing Semifinal teams want to play a Third Place game, please feel free to do so. It will be recorded here in the Cup IX thread but will not be recorded in the tournament records thread. As far as which team would be the home team, I could do a coin flip for that as well but I'll wait to see if you two are interested in playing the game first.
7/27/2022 9:17 AM
Congrats Jeffdrayer, best of Luck in the Finals. Thanks GoMiami for organizing an incredible tournament. The updated thread and play by play is awesome and keeps this game interesting. So thanks for all you do on this! I'm up for a 3rd place game if La Daga is. It will be a rematch of our Group Stage match.
7/27/2022 9:38 AM
OK...if La Daga and Kingston want to play a Third Place game, I have added it to the Knockout results post on Page 1. I performed a 10 coin coin flip using random.org's coin flipper. For the flip, FC Kingston is heads and La Daga is tails (the F in FC is alphabetically before the L in La if you are wondering why.) The Czech Lion is heads and Saint Wenceslas is tails. Here are the results posted below.

You flipped 10 coins of type Czech 20 Koruna:

Timestamp: 2022-07-27 14:56:38 UTC
A coin flip tie 5-5, time to do another.

You flipped 10 coins of type Czech 20 Koruna:

Timestamp: 2022-07-27 15:03:53 UTC

Tails wins 5-5, 6-4. La Daga will host the Third Place game if you two want to play it. No rush in scheduling.
7/27/2022 11:06 AM
Great series, jmjtrain! Those were some really tight games. And, good luck Duuude2 -- you guys look like the favorites here. I'm not signing anyone over the break -- as Gene Hackman says in Hoosiers, my team's on the floor. So, just sent the challenge out. And as usual, thanks for doing all this, Gomiami -- definitely the best part of FC Dynasty. Here we go...!
7/27/2022 2:19 PM
Good Luck Jeff! Maybe we can slow down the juggernaut. Not sure if we have enough firepower to score enough to keep up but i gave the guys instructions to throw as many balls at the net as possible!

Thanks again gomiami for the tournament AND entertainment! makes it much better than when i tried to keep it going.
7/27/2022 4:39 PM
I did the Championship coin flip a few minutes ago and posted the results on Page 1 below the Golden Toe tracker. 13-7 tails was the result. The Cow will host the first tiebreaker if it goes that far.

bubtron1990 (La Daga) sent me a sitemail yesterday. Since he does not have posting rights, he asked me to post the following message on his behalf.

"While we are disappointed in the end result, we are proud of our players fighting until the end. Due to our financial situation, La Daga may not be able to afford the inter-dimensional travel expenses that are necessary to partake in this event in the near future. Yet, we consider ourselves lucky to have played in Dynasty Cup IX and to share the final four spots with such worthy and formidable opponents. Congratulations to the Fighting Ants on winning our semifinal matchup. The home crowd was ferocious and traveled well. Wattikinson Budd is a wrecker and will be a threat in the final. Lastly, La Daga Club de Fútbol has officially convinced Carlin Buslingthorpe to enroll with a local anger-management therapist and has officially severed ties with the referee, who happened to be a FC Oviedo fan."
7/28/2022 7:55 AM
The 3rd Place game between FC Kingston and La Daga Club de Fútbol is tomorrow. It is a single game...no replays in case of a tie. Either one team will win 3rd Place outright or they will both share the honor.

The main event kicks off on the 30th when The Shield of the Cow plays its home game against Fighting Ants in the Championship.
7/28/2022 12:23 PM
La Daga Club de Fútbol ends the tournament on a positive note, winning the 3rd Place game at home over FC Kingston. Crushing Kingston in opportunities, shots and shots on goal, La Daga still needed a 75th minute goal by Palban Mendez to squeeze out a 3-2 victory. In the three games the teams played against each other in the tourney, the scores were 5-4, 4-4 and now 3-2...a fair fight throughout.

The Cow tries to become the first defending Champion to successfully defend their title starting tomorrow, although the Ants will probably have something to say about that. It was The Shield of the Cow who knocked out the then defending Champion Fighting Ants in the quarters of Cup VIII...and knocked them out on what will go down in infamy as the last Knockout Round elimination coin flip to boot. Perhaps the Ants have a bit of payback on their minds....
7/29/2022 8:53 PM (edited)
Championship play opened this morning with Fighting Ants getting halfway to hoisting the FC Dynasty Cup IX trophy after a gritty 2-1 road win over The Shield of the Cow. Wattikinson Budd's header off of a corner in the 58th minute broke a 1-1 tie and proved to be the game winner. The series now moves to the Ants home pitch tomorrow. The Cow faced a must win situation in Cup VIII, where they overcame a 3-1 deficit to win the Championship against Kobelco United Football Club. However, that comeback was in the friendly confines of The Cow palace. This time, they will need to do it on the road.

An anticipated crowd in Poland of over 40,000 is expected to see the final game and the Championship trophy will be in attendance. The only questions are which team will earn the glory and which team name will be etched onto the hardware and immortalized.
7/30/2022 8:31 AM
Congrats La Daga and Bubtron on 3rd... you definitely had our number since the start of the tournament. Once again, Thanks to gomiami for organizing and running this incredible tournament!!
7/30/2022 10:47 AM
This will be the final FC Dynasty Cup IX post, officially ending the competition. Of course, additional feedback is always welcome and feel free to continue posting tournament comments here on this thread or sitemail me with comments that I can post on your behalf.

Fighting Ants and Duuude2 become the first team in FC Dynasty Cup history to become a two-time Champion as they deny The Shield of the Cow, who was not only trying to claim the same historical feat but was also trying to become the first team to successfully defend their title. The game featured The Cow take the lead five times, only for the Ants to strike back five times and level the contest, which was the aggregate margin they needed. The last three minutes saw The Cow's Arjan Joris score to give them a 5-4 lead and seemingly send the series back to America for a sudden death tiebreaker. That's when the Ants' 32 year old Portuguese striker Madaleno Pemeta decided he wanted to go home rather than travel back over the Atlantic. His header off of a cross in the 89th minute was unchallenged by veteran Cow goalie Rhett Ximénez and the game ended with a 5-5 tie, giving the aggregate, and the championship to Fighting Ants 7-6.

Congratulations to The Shield of the Cow and jeffdrayer for the Runner Up trophy. The L'Orteil D'or award goes to Cow striker Caldwell Francisco, who scored once in the finals to claim the Golden Toe with 14 goals, one goal clear from the rest of the field.

The hardware has been distributed on Page 1 of the thread in the Championship post.

With 24 teams from 16 worlds participating, the tournament went smoothly and without drama, other than the drama created by the action on the pitch. Thank you once again for making FC Dynasty Cup a complete success. I can do all of the planning in the world but these tournaments would never work if it was not for the dedication of all of you who are playing. My sincere gratitude for supporting this tournament and I hope everyone enjoyed the competition. I also very much appreciate all of your comments.

I will be updating the historical records thread over the next few days with the new data from this championship. Based on the way the calendar looks, the sign-up phase for FC Dynasty Cup X will begin a week or so after the US Labor Day holiday. In the meantime, enjoy your individual world play. I hope to see all of you again in the next tournament and please pass the word to fellow FC Dynasty players that may not know about what we do here.

So, until next time, when a new set of teams spanning the FC Dynasty universe get together to contest for the ultimate prize - the FC Dynasty Cup!

See you in mid September.
7/31/2022 9:53 AM (edited)
First - thanks again Gomiami for doing such a great job on the tournament!

Jeff - great tournament. Thanks for a great and exciting finals. I guess going down to the 89th minute is the way to go. Glad my duuudes could step up their scoring to match the juggernaut.

loved my true D - Goodrich who scored half as much as Francisco but was very important in the wins.

not sure how many of the guys will be back but look forward to the next one!
7/31/2022 2:52 PM
Yes -- thanks again, Gomiami. These tournaments really make the game fun, and I love reading the commentary.
And, congrats, Duuude2! The finals couldn't have been closer, and the cup couldn't go to a more deserving team. Gonna have to start planning for the next one now -- see you again soon!
7/31/2022 5:43 PM
Congrats Duuude2 and the Fighting Ants!!
And thanks again GoMiami.
8/1/2022 11:06 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
FC Dynasty Cup IX - Fighting Ants - Champion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.