Assuming all other stats are equal and this players distribution will be very low, would you rather have a PG with:

90 Speed
70 BH
90 Pass

or

83 SPD/BH/PASS

in a triangle offense.
6/14/2022 2:55 PM
For a pure PG, I'd take the 90 spd/pass. If he's got some scoring potential, the BH becomes a little more valuable.
6/14/2022 4:29 PM
Yeah, these questions are hard. Generally higher pass.
6/14/2022 4:34 PM
non scoring, press, i think you take the pass/spd. for the non-scoring pg in anything, pass > bh. but the speed, for a non-pressing guard, bh > spd and its probably not super close. a non scoring triangle/man or triangle/zone pg, that speed just isn't even top line core competitive. in the press though, even on a non scorer, spd is going to be pretty valuable.

so i would say, for a press non-scoring pg, take the spd/pass. for a non-press, non-scoring pg, its probably the bh, but i think its pretty close, i probably value that passing pretty much higher in a non-scoring pg than i do the bh, especially on the triangle/flex side of things. maybe its even a wash there, but i think i'm sticking with, lean bh in the non-press case. note, i am assuming those 83s are 83.3s so that we are giving up 1 pass and 1 spd for 2bh.
6/14/2022 4:42 PM (edited)
I have a need... FOR SPEED
6/14/2022 7:56 PM
"but the speed, for a non-pressing guard, bh > spd and its probably not super close. "

What do you mean by super close? Can you put a number on that?

I value SPEED as a core for PG (skills) and slightly higher than BH, maybe 10%-20% valuable?
6/15/2022 7:47 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/15/2022 7:47:00 AM (view original):
"but the speed, for a non-pressing guard, bh > spd and its probably not super close. "

I value SPEED as a core for PG (skills) and slightly higher than BH, maybe 10%-20% valuable?
i really meant a non-scoring, non-pressing pg there. not sure what number i would put on it, but basically for me, generally speaking, spd, bh, pass are all top line cores for a scoring, pressing pg. bh and spd both take a hit for non-scoring pgs, and pressing pgs lose value for spd more from there - considerably. by the time you have a non-scoring, non-pressing pg, passing is still super important, perhaps even a clear lone top core at that point. bh is a bit lower, probably kinda like ath/def/bh as a bit below pass, and then spd is a level below that still.

i used to put more numbers on some of this, but its so situational, i tend more to think of thinks as basically top line cores or tier 1 cores, and then basically next level cores, and then lower end cores. which on a scale might translate to 1 or .9 for the top line ones, .7-.8 for the secondary, and .5-.6 or so for the third line ones, perhaps even as low as 0.4? i would say its in the ballpark for a 0 distro non press guard, of 1 pass, .75 bh, .5 spd. maybe even as far as 1, .7, .4. i kind of feel like that is more comfortable actually.

i love speed in guards, but i love to press and take 3s and that is where most of the speed value derives from. in today's ath/def paradigm (that started 10 years ago), speed is just not that important defensively, even on the perimeter. speed is also useful for 2pta for sure.
6/15/2022 9:29 AM
I have to agree with gill here. I had this plan to create a 3/2 zone team with 6 pg's and 4 bigs. The idea was to have elite speed for perimeter defense and athleticism for interior defense. The results were kinda meh. I've had a ton more success when using 2 pg's, 4 wings, and 4 bigs. There hasn't been a noticeable difference in perimeter defense, but the extra rebounding has really helped with consistency.
6/15/2022 9:38 AM
Posted by gillispie on 6/15/2022 9:30:00 AM (view original):

i really meant a non-scoring, non-pressing pg there. not sure what number i would put on it, but basically for me, generally speaking, spd, bh, pass are all top line cores for a scoring, pressing pg. bh and spd both take a hit for non-scoring pgs, and pressing pgs lose value for spd more from there - considerably. by the time you have a non-scoring, non-pressing pg, passing is still super important, perhaps even a clear lone top core at that point. bh is a bit lower, probably kinda like ath/def/bh as a bit below pass, and then spd is a level below that still.

i used to put more numbers on some of this, but its so situational, i tend more to think of thinks as basically top line cores or tier 1 cores, and then basically next level cores, and then lower end cores. which on a scale might translate to 1 or .9 for the top line ones, .7-.8 for the secondary, and .5-.6 or so for the third line ones, perhaps even as low as 0.4? i would say its in the ballpark for a 0 distro non press guard, of 1 pass, .75 bh, .5 spd. maybe even as far as 1, .7, .4. i kind of feel like that is more comfortable actually.

i love speed in guards, but i love to press and take 3s and that is where most of the speed value derives from. in today's ath/def paradigm (that started 10 years ago), speed is just not that important defensively, even on the perimeter. speed is also useful for 2pta for sure.
I thought speed was more important than ath for guards in zone?
6/15/2022 10:12 AM
Posted by Benis on 6/15/2022 10:12:00 AM (view original):

i really don't know anything about zone but that is not my impression. its probably fair to say man is the most extreme ath/def oriented set. i'm assuming you are just talking about the defensive side of the ball here, but i would think its def, ath, spd for guards strictly talking defensive side, in zone.
6/15/2022 10:54 AM
Like I said, I've had more success playing "wings" at the 2 and 3. Guys with 80 ath, 70 spd, 50 reb, decent ball skills. Of course this means that I need to have some elite bench shooters, but it's been working fairly well. It also let's you switch between 2/3 and 3/2 pretty seamlessly.

I'd love to hear the opinions of some of our resident zone experts like trenton or shoe.
6/15/2022 1:17 PM
I am not nearly as good as I used to be and even at my best I was only an A- owner but here's my take on zone and defense and stuff like that.

Please note, I only play a 3-2 and I almost always pair zone with triangle. Those two details are pretty important when considering my experience and observations. I am also not a great recruiter.

1. I try not to skimp on overall defense. You don't need everyone to be a great defender but you need your average to be good.
2. I think of my 1-2-3 as a unit and the 4-5 as a unit. I know it doesn't EXACTLY work that way but I think it's close enough.
3. I will "Punt" offense on a few starters (usually my 3 and my 5). I will try to grab a guy with great defensive skills to make up for decreased defensive skills on scorers and distributors.
4. In a perfect world I want my speed to average 70 at D3, 80 at D2, and 90 at D1 for the 1-2-3 starters.
5. I want the high speed because I believe speed is more important in o3FG%. I often play a sagging defense, so I want those guys to be able to stop it. I have no problem going -5 if a team shoots less than 20% of their shots as 3FGA.
6. I want my ATH to average 50 at D3, 60 at D2 and 70 at D1 for the 1-2-3. That's probably not high enough at competitive D1 but high ATH/SPD guards at D1 is a chestnut I can't crack at D1. I'll trade some speed for ATH if I have a LP based scorer at the 1 or 2 (usually the 2).
7. When I can, I will nab the 90 ATH 40 Speed 90 DEF guy with crappy guard skills at D3 (or D2 sometimes) and plop him at the 3 with little (or zero) distro. I love those guys. I just signed this guy at D3. He'll be an 85 ATH 50 Speed 100 DEF with 10-20 for BH and PASS for my D3 team. He'll allow me to play some offensive monsters with average to below defensive skills going forward.
8. For my posts, I want my ATH/DEF/BLK to average about 70 at D3, 80 at D2 and 90 a D1 for my starters. I almost ignore rebounding, I notice almost no difference between my 80 REB teams and my 100 REB teams. It's not like I am playing some 30 REB guys, it seems like all my posts end up somewhere between 70-100 at all levels. They just all kinda get there.
9. I don't know if it's Triangle or what but my "overachieving teams" almost always have a high pass/ high speed PG. That's why I normally value speed more than BH for my 1. I can't really quantify if but my 60/90/90 PGs just don't seem to be as good (ie team FG%) as my 90/60/90 guy teams.
10. I used to always try to nab a "bench shooter" but lately I've noticed that my teams perform better when my bench shooters (with below average D) just start and I pair them with a dude like I posted above.

11. I value BLK more than most, which is why I don't flop defenses. Those 80/80/80/80 guys are unicorns. I can never find them, let alone sign them. I don't like playing 50 BLK guys at the 3 in a 2-3 . I am more successful just playing with +/- . I played around with a 2-3 for awhile with super fast guards and 6 bigs (colonels19 had some decent teams using that strategy) but I was only happy with my team defense at D2 when their speed was REALLY high, like 93-95+ at D2.
I hope that makes sense.
6/15/2022 7:55 PM (edited)

Mentally/Visually that sounds right. But to my knowledge that is extremely incorrect. Press wins with TOs, to get those TOs you want high SPD/ST guys. The main contributor in steals.

In zone, you don't get hardly any steals or TOs. You force opposing players to pass to the soft spot in the zone. The offense shoots more jump shots over the zone or in the open area of the floor. They don't penetrate or drive and kick. So for zone, I've found speed to be the most worthless when having high ratings. And ATH/DEF/REB is key.

It makes sense in the mind, that, say a 2-3, you'd think that you'd want high speed guards, because they have to cover a lot more ground. But that hasn't seemed to be relevant in my experience. Since it's really just math equations and not floor spacing.
6/22/2022 9:08 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 6/22/2022 9:08:00 PM (view original):

Mentally/Visually that sounds right. But to my knowledge that is extremely incorrect. Press wins with TOs, to get those TOs you want high SPD/ST guys. The main contributor in steals.

In zone, you don't get hardly any steals or TOs. You force opposing players to pass to the soft spot in the zone. The offense shoots more jump shots over the zone or in the open area of the floor. They don't penetrate or drive and kick. So for zone, I've found speed to be the most worthless when having high ratings. And ATH/DEF/REB is key.

It makes sense in the mind, that, say a 2-3, you'd think that you'd want high speed guards, because they have to cover a lot more ground. But that hasn't seemed to be relevant in my experience. Since it's really just math equations and not floor spacing.
agreed. i have shared this conjecture before, but my understanding of the sim engine - based on experience, not that old write up etc. - there is nowhere in the engine that the speed of a guard on one team is directly compared against a guard on the other (nor for the entire back court or team). its possible it happens somewhere, but i'd be hard pressed to imagine where that would be. i suspect if it happens, it is some fairly trivial matter or a small part of a much bigger whole.

guard speed was basically my calling card for like, most of my existence. but that is purely because speed is so valuable in 1) press turnover generation, and 2) 3pt scoring, which are the basketball abilities the large majority of my teams in 1.0 and 2.0 were built around.

i remember coaching a team with storm back towards the end of 2.0, we had a florida state program running man, i think motion/man. it was a surprisingly difficult recruiting situation, but i remember we were recruiting this one like, listed SF, for a PG spot or something. or at least considering him. i basically was like this is our guy, and storm was like, but he's slow. and i was like - so what? granted, i think he was like 70 speed, maybe even 75, but this was late 2.0 when 10 teams ran around each season with 850 overall squads.

it was a pretty interesting exchange, because he's like - because speed is really important for guards! i was like sure, you know, as platitudes go, its valid. now give me one reason why his speed holds him back in any way! he was kinda taken back because we'd coached in conferences together (never co-coaching except that 1 team for its 7 seasons or whatever), and guard speed is something i talked about a lot. those days my co-coaching was sort of mentoring on steroids, so i really pushed other coaches to make decisions and be accountable, and i really pushed him like, tell me in basketball terms, what is he not good enough at? he's a 2pt scoring point guard in motion/man. where is his low 70s speed not acceptable? he had 95 ath/def or ballpark, and i presume projected out to at least 90/90 bh/pass or so.

the bottom line is, you need a tangible basketball-based reason to value a rating or ability. while i value speed immensely in many of my pgs, the pressing, 20 ppg, 3pt scoring pgs who bring more value to a team than any player in any role in any system... that doesn't mean i value it greatly in my 2pt scoring, non-pressing pgs.

while i love the exercise of trying to assign values to the ratings, the bottom line is no simple formula is ever going to come close to capturing the complexity of the challenge. like the player roles in game. those are fine, but if you want to compete with the best, you absolutely have to differentiate in a major way when you evaluate a player for a position, based on the actual role he is going to play. and how can you possibly do that, in recruiting, with no idea what role he's going to play? this is why team building looking 2-3 seasons out, trying to understand the role your recruit will play as a junior, before you put a dollar on him, is so valuable.
6/23/2022 12:28 AM (edited)
In the 2-3 speed is very important in limiting o3fg%. I mean a dude with 100s in ath and def with a 70 speed is still going to be a fine defender but he is a better defender in man than a 2-3 zone.
6/23/2022 8:40 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.