Posted by milest on 8/7/2022 8:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by savoybg on 7/29/2022 9:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 6/25/2022 5:33:00 AM (view original):
More randomness is the last thing this sim needs.
Obviously no one who has the sim figured out well and wins as often as you do wants more randomness. But I see it as helping to level out the playing field a little for all of the guys who will never really have the sim figured out well and who rarely win. I think it's better for the overall state of the game here if the the winning is spread out a little more. People who never win tend to quit playing.

You're trying to spread the winning out by explaining to guys how to win, but many guys will just never quite "get it." Nobody in real life wins as much as you do, so maybe a little more randomness would not be a bad thing for the overall state of things here.
"People who never win tend to quit playing". That may be or may not be true. There are several longtime owners on WIS with losing records. Personal, I quit playing in the Open Leagues bc of rookies. I didnt care about clones or even the assist boost, but the rookies added an element to the game I couldn't control and I found that unacceptable. 2 owners could build the exact same team, but 1 will end up better bc they'll get better rookies. That's added randomness. That's similar to what you're suggesting. I probably wouldn't quit due to random injuries, but maybe I would. I'd probably try to work around it by never drafting a player who played less than 80 games in RL, but it could come to a point where that's boring bc of a limited player pool and maybe I'd lose interest. Injuries are a bad idea
I just want key guys to have a miss a game or two MAYBE once a season, maybe not even that. Other guys miss maybe 3-5 games in a season occasionally. Depth should matter more than having 4 guys who only play 1-3 minutes each occasionally. I tell you, I don't like these 47M salary cap years at all. Everybody spends like 45 million on the 7-8 guys who will be in the rotation and then spends the other 2 million or so on 4-5 bench guys who hardly play and who get fatigued constantly.

The idea would not work with those 47M seasons because nobody has enough bench minutes to cover a starter being out. I prefer leagues with no salary cap where you have plenty of minutes on the bench and nobody ever gets fatigued. They should only have fatigue in the game that is being played at the time, which would be realistic.

I like to see injuries as an option for them leagues or other private leagues with no salary cap. Those teams have plenty of bench minutes to cover that, and it would test the depth of teams.

And I don't want "random" injuries. Each player will have an injury rating that dictates his chances of getting injured in the first place, and how many games he could possibly be injured for. No real long injuries either Maybe a max of 10 games for guys who played fewer 41 games or fewer, and that 10 gamer would be like a 1% chance. About half the time an injury occurs the players would either stay in the game or only miss the the rest of that game.
8/8/2022 11:19 AM (edited)
But I thought you wanted the SIM to be realistic? The NBA has a salary cap. Real NBA teams spend most of their cap on 3-5 players an the rest get the shaft. The good teams usually have a 9 man rotation shortened to 7 in the playoffs.
8/8/2022 9:05 AM

And I don't want "random" injuries. Each player will have an injury rating that dictates his chances of getting injured in the first place, and how many games he could possibly be injured for.

something like this mechanism exists already but it is tied to minutes - it is already possible for guys who played less than 82 games to get injured if you exceed their minutes' limitations (improbable but possible)
8/8/2022 9:16 AM
Posted by copernicus on 8/7/2022 11:36:00 AM (view original):
I am in an OL where Ben pretty much already did that
I figured that's the new cookie cutter team now that the assist boost has been nerfed.
8/8/2022 10:55 AM
Posted by milest on 8/8/2022 10:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 8/7/2022 11:36:00 AM (view original):
I am in an OL where Ben pretty much already did that
I figured that's the new cookie cutter team now that the assist boost has been nerfed.
I tried three opens right away when State Farm was eliminated. I’m probably done for awhile until it gets more competitive. The triple Curry/triple Rodman team is actually my worst of the three (although it’s still doing pretty well). I also did a traditional cookie team and even tried a no clones team and they both have better records.
8/8/2022 11:01 AM
Posted by milest on 8/8/2022 9:05:00 AM (view original):
But I thought you wanted the SIM to be realistic? The NBA has a salary cap. Real NBA teams spend most of their cap on 3-5 players an the rest get the shaft. The good teams usually have a 9 man rotation shortened to 7 in the playoffs.
But real NBA teams don't have ANY players who get fatigued by playing 9 minutes, or even 25 minutes in a game.
8/8/2022 11:20 AM
Posted by copernicus on 8/8/2022 9:16:00 AM (view original):

And I don't want "random" injuries. Each player will have an injury rating that dictates his chances of getting injured in the first place, and how many games he could possibly be injured for.

something like this mechanism exists already but it is tied to minutes - it is already possible for guys who played less than 82 games to get injured if you exceed their minutes' limitations (improbable but possible)
Yes, I know, but that hardly effects a team when a guy who can play 3 minutes a game gets injured.
8/8/2022 11:22 AM
Back in prehistoric times, when I started with WIS, injuries were based on games played as savoybg desires.

Some teams would have four or five players injured at the same time.

They changed it in probably 2004.
8/8/2022 3:29 PM
Posted by ncih on 8/8/2022 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Back in prehistoric times, when I started with WIS, injuries were based on games played as savoybg desires.

Some teams would have four or five players injured at the same time.

They changed it in probably 2004.
If they had 4 or 5 injured players at once then the chances of an injury were much too high. And if that could happen they would need to have bigger rosters with only 12 guys active at a time.
8/13/2022 2:32 PM (edited)
Those owners were drafting low games played guys.

It was changed after much complaining.
8/9/2022 1:59 PM
◂ Prev 12345

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.