Bad Beats in Recruiting Odds Topic

I'm curious, what's the worst bad beat/roll loss that you've experienced in recruiting? I haven't battled much, but just lost a 71-29 roll. I have to imagine there's been instances of a slightly worse loss and now I'm wondering who got the worst bad beat in HD history.
6/30/2022 11:12 PM
The worst it can be in a two team roll is either 79/21 or 80/20. Beyond that it goes from Very High/High, to Very High/Moderate and no roll happens.

3 team rolls (or more than 3 teams) have a wide variety of possibilities
7/1/2022 8:34 AM
Just lost a 72-28, after losing every other roll this season. Life is pain.
7/12/2022 11:40 PM
I’m starting to believe it’s better to be behind. I win a lot of rolls as the dog. And seem to lose rolls when ahead. Is there a way to check the numbers. Maybe it’s perception but are the underdogs really underdogs?
7/13/2022 7:19 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Im in every world and I am starting to keep track of all my rolls.
anyone want to create a spreadsheet for me?
7/13/2022 9:27 AM
Info I have now is the Dogs are up 2-0. 1 in my fav 1 not in my fav. But in West Virginia its about to look like a ******* craps table. So this should be fun.
7/13/2022 9:35 AM
Posted by Fregoe on 7/13/2022 7:19:00 AM (view original):
I’m starting to believe it’s better to be behind. I win a lot of rolls as the dog. And seem to lose rolls when ahead. Is there a way to check the numbers. Maybe it’s perception but are the underdogs really underdogs?
3 seasons ago in Wooden I started keeping track because of your exact situation happening to me.

So far I am 1-5 in VH-H rolls and 2-0 in H-VH rolls. You would think it would be the opposite.

Not keeping track of VH-VH, or 3 way rolls just FYI
7/13/2022 1:37 PM
I am doing
team season Fav % Dog % winner
7/13/2022 2:48 PM
I also started tracking my rolls a few seasons ago across all of my teams. Surprisingly I've been the leader on all 10 of them. 9 of them were 2-way battles. I'm 2-1 on the 50-60% odds, which is great, but extremely low sample size. On the 60-70%, I'm 1-3 which is a huge bummer. On 71+%, I'm 1-1.

Once again, very low sample size, but it doesn't feel good to be the frontrunner on every recruit and end up 4-6 (although 2 of them were 51% and 52% so basically even). Then there was a 3-way roll where I was the leader at 39%, so I wasn't actually ahead for the roll.
7/14/2022 9:53 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by shoe3 on 7/14/2022 12:34:00 PM (view original):
The problem with this stuff is folks always, and I mean ALWAYS start keeping track after they’ve been losing a few. Because that’s when they notice. We will all have rough stretches, and there’s less deviance between the expected outcome of 70-30 and 30-70 sets than most folks realize, in practice. Because of the extreme low sample sizes we’re all individually exposed to, any deviance tends to instinctually feel like a design flaw. And if you have a handful of teams and have a rough stretch across a few of them, as described above, and start tracking then, well yes - that’s when it’s going to look like the system was designed upside down, from your perspective. But it’s not. No one confused the parameters and switch the A and the B. You’re experiencing what probability and small sample sizes look like in a game with thousands of users.

What IS possible though, at least somewhat plausible, is that there is a “good luck” factor for teams/coaches that doesn’t show up in the odds. I am fairly certain this plays a part - along with some kind of “momentum” factor - in the game engine over the course of a season. Now if this could get stuck on an individual team or user, whether by glitch or on purpose? Well that’s just fundamentally a different question than whether there’s a system wide design flaw confusing up from down, that’s all I’ll say about that.
I have actually been winning as an underdog. Most of my teams are lower prestige teams and I am finding its a very feasible strategy.
7/14/2022 2:30 PM
Posted by Fregoe on 7/14/2022 2:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 7/14/2022 12:34:00 PM (view original):
The problem with this stuff is folks always, and I mean ALWAYS start keeping track after they’ve been losing a few. Because that’s when they notice. We will all have rough stretches, and there’s less deviance between the expected outcome of 70-30 and 30-70 sets than most folks realize, in practice. Because of the extreme low sample sizes we’re all individually exposed to, any deviance tends to instinctually feel like a design flaw. And if you have a handful of teams and have a rough stretch across a few of them, as described above, and start tracking then, well yes - that’s when it’s going to look like the system was designed upside down, from your perspective. But it’s not. No one confused the parameters and switch the A and the B. You’re experiencing what probability and small sample sizes look like in a game with thousands of users.

What IS possible though, at least somewhat plausible, is that there is a “good luck” factor for teams/coaches that doesn’t show up in the odds. I am fairly certain this plays a part - along with some kind of “momentum” factor - in the game engine over the course of a season. Now if this could get stuck on an individual team or user, whether by glitch or on purpose? Well that’s just fundamentally a different question than whether there’s a system wide design flaw confusing up from down, that’s all I’ll say about that.
I have actually been winning as an underdog. Most of my teams are lower prestige teams and I am finding its a very feasible strategy.
Sure, plenty of coaches do that. Get to high on 5-6 instead of VH on 3, plan to win 2; maybe more if you have good luck. Absolutely a viable strategy, as long as you don’t have very specific needs and can be flexible; good coaches have been doing that for a while.

Concept is the same both ways, really. Whether you’re the winner or the loser, a 30-40% odds winner is far more noteworthy than a 60-70%.
7/14/2022 4:23 PM
Was in four rolls this season in D1 Knight. The underdog won all four. Two of them were essentially 70-30 odds (68-32 and 69-31). The other was 59-41 and the fourth was a three team roll with the lowest percentage team winning.
7/15/2022 2:25 AM
Just won 2 in a row! I'm on a heater baby!

To shoe's point, I did start keeping track after an 0-3 season which is dragging down my averages. Overall, I've been on hot streaks and cold streaks, but it's mostly played out to the intended percentages. I would like to hear your theory on "good luck" and "momentum" factors though. Sometimes it feels like I've been more lucky in the first 1 or 2 seasons at a new school. Could be confirmation bias though.
7/15/2022 9:55 AM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Bad Beats in Recruiting Odds Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.