Bad Beats in Recruiting Odds Topic

My last 7 rolls in Crum the underdog has won grant it, I was the underdog on 4 of those, but I’m really inclined to believe the percentages are just window dressing like Ht and Wt, and it’s truly a coin flip.
12/5/2022 8:36 PM
I have thee new rolls added to my report all to the underdog. But I was the udnerdog in two of them. New Strategy going forward. especially for low end D! teams.... which is me because I don't have any elites haha
12/6/2022 9:52 AM
If the devs have run through the calculations .. and if it is indeed a roll and if the lookup table for the roll is correct. Then all the rest of this is irrelevant.

If the RNG roll is a number between 0 to 1 and really random , and if a 0.75 to 0.25 (75% to 25%) final chance the compare. As long as calculation works correctly and it gives the proper result, none of this in any way matters.

0-0.25 .. Underdog Wins.
0.26-1 .. Favored Wins

This is only an issue if the RNG is broken or the math is programmed wrong.
12/6/2022 2:32 PM (edited)
Posted by hughesjr on 12/6/2022 2:32:00 PM (view original):
If the devs have run through the calculations .. and if it is indeed a roll and if the lookup table for the roll is correct. Then all the rest of this is irrelevant.

If the RNG roll is a number between 0 to 1 and really random , and if a 0.75 to 0.25 (75% to 25%) final chance the compare. As long as calculation works correctly and it gives the proper result, none of this in any way matters.

0-0.25 .. Underdog Wins.
0.26-1 .. Favored Wins

This is only an issue if the RNG is broken or the math is programmed wrong.
The thing I think about, since some users seem to be having this kind of experience for extended periods of time (I think most of us have it for a few seasons here and there) is that at some point there was another external factor added that is complicating rolls; and that it gets "stuck" for some users/programs. So it's (hypothetically) not straight random, but there's another potential modifier in there affecting luck on anything from recruiting rolls, to injuries/grades, to game results (maybe separately, maybe not).

The other thing I think about is "feedback". We know the game design uses that concept to manipulate simulations under certain circumstances, when the results are outside certain parameters. Like team A is really overachieving at the half, and the game engine takes that into account and cools it moving forward. In another long and tedious thread from years ago, someone used the example of flipping over cards on a table. And instead of those cards being put back and shuffled once flipped, they're just removed. So a 70% FT shooter, when under conditions triggering feedback, every made FT is going to lower the odds of making the next - because it's removing a card off the table, essentially. *IF* the game uses that concept world-wide in recruiting - and maybe it does? - that could explain a bit why we sometimes see runs of underdogs winning. If it's looking for a certain % of underdog wins, especially if it is counting 100-0 battles where teams offer but don't fight hard enough to get in range, that could really start to skew results. I don't really think it could be *all* of those types of results, I think it'd be very obvious to most users if it was that big of a tilt. But maybe some subset of them is in there screwing with them?

But also, again, it also could be - probably is - small sample size mixed with confirmation bias and the long-lasting memory of the bad beat.
12/6/2022 5:02 PM
"But also, again, it also could be - probably is - small sample size mixed with confirmation bias and the long-lasting memory of the bad beat."

Which is why I am am tracking all my rolls. There is one roll that I won that I don't have tracked since I started that I am not sure of.

I also started tracking because I found that I was winning more rolls as a dog than I would have expected to and believe this might be an ideal way to lower mid level D1 teams to recruit. I am now just trying to get and stay high on as many recruits as I can that I think fit my team. I end up getting to Very High on some but the goal is to get High and Gamble. Which Ironically is also a life goal.
12/7/2022 7:38 AM
Posted by Fregoe on 12/7/2022 7:38:00 AM (view original):
"But also, again, it also could be - probably is - small sample size mixed with confirmation bias and the long-lasting memory of the bad beat."

Which is why I am am tracking all my rolls. There is one roll that I won that I don't have tracked since I started that I am not sure of.

I also started tracking because I found that I was winning more rolls as a dog than I would have expected to and believe this might be an ideal way to lower mid level D1 teams to recruit. I am now just trying to get and stay high on as many recruits as I can that I think fit my team. I end up getting to Very High on some but the goal is to get High and Gamble. Which Ironically is also a life goal.
wonderful
12/7/2022 9:26 AM
I kept track of the top 100 recruits for a few worlds awhile back. Here are some numbers

VH vs H
329 battles, High won 29%

VH vs VH vs H
68 battles, high won 34%

VH vs H vs H
49 battles, high won 35%

Maybe 68 battles isn't the biggest sample size in the world but the High team winning 34% of the time is way too high.
12/7/2022 9:34 AM

One user, or a group of a few users (who were likely drawn to participate because of negative experiences) can show certain “flaws” in the system with enough data - like the kinds of bias I talked about above. But they’re not going to show anything wrong with the core math, as in high and very high are universally flipped or meaningless or whatnot; for that, you’d need a much bigger pool of coaches meticulously tracking for many seasons.

I’ve tried out the get-to-high-on-many approach (instead of all-in VH on 3, for example), and it isn’t particularly good or bad. It’s just different. You’ll pick off a few recruits, yes. But you’ll have less choice over who signs with you, so your team needs to stay flexible. Works best with zone teams in that way, so you can carry multiple walkons and not think about it. I did not find that I was winning more battles than expected from high, though.

For what it’s worth, the 2 battles I currently have eligible to report from 5 teams, I’ve won both as Very High against High opponents. One was a 68-32 battle (Fresno), and one was a 57-23-20 battle (UConn).
12/7/2022 9:44 AM
Posted by Benis on 12/7/2022 9:34:00 AM (view original):
I kept track of the top 100 recruits for a few worlds awhile back. Here are some numbers

VH vs H
329 battles, High won 29%

VH vs VH vs H
68 battles, high won 34%

VH vs H vs H
49 battles, high won 35%

Maybe 68 battles isn't the biggest sample size in the world but the High team winning 34% of the time is way too high.
good on you, 329 battles is a lot. 29% is probably right on point? the 3 ways look off but still?
12/7/2022 10:22 AM
Here's my stats over the last 4 seasons for 4 teams (15 total seasons). I've had 26 rolls and this is how they've shaken out...

2-Team Rolls
<30% Odds: 0 win - 1 loss
31-40% Odds: 1 win - 0 loss
41-50% Odds: 1 win - 2 loss
51-60% Odds: 5 win - 2 loss
61-70% Odds: 4 win - 4 loss
>70% Odds: 2 win - 1 loss

3-Team Rolls
<20% Odds: None
21-30% Odds: None
31-40% Odds: 1 win - 1 loss
41-50% Odds: None
>50% Odds: 1 win - 0 loss

Obviously not a huge sample size, but nothing out of the ordinary so far. But I will also say that I started tracking these because I went on a year-long unlucky streak, basically losing most of my rolls despite usually being the leader.
12/7/2022 10:31 AM

This guy is a wordsmith.
12/7/2022 10:35 AM
Team Year Player Fav Dog Winner winning team
Coppin St 188 Glenn Miligan 62 38 Underdog Coppin
Drake 168 Jan Threlkeld 57 43 undergod Missouri
Wyoming 169 Thomas Mathis 74 26 Underdog Air Force
Miss V St 134 Jason Morejon 63 37 undergod Miss V St
Coppin St 189 Shawn Smith 49 30 underdog Morgan St
Coppin St 189 Jay Barrett 58 42 underdog Coppin St
Miss V St 135 Jason Morejon 63 37 Underdog Miss St
Clemson 132 Richard Lebel 74 26 Fav Indiana
Boise St 129 Douglas Vogel 69 31 Fav Gonzaga
Wyoming 170 Tim Ward 75 25 Fav Gonzaga
Wyoming 170 JR Nagata 69 31 Fav Iowa St
Lamar 135 Fred McCullough 76 24 Fav Lamar
Drake 170 Ahmad Whitehill 71 29 Fav Drake
Drake 170 Zach Parks 55 23 Fav Illinois
Drake 170 Roy Jones 48 17 Underdog ND
Clemson Craig Bryant 51 49 Fav Vandy
Drake 170 Ruben Mullins 38 12 Fav Missouri 5 WAY ROLL
Miss V St 135 Daniel Puckett 66 34 Fav Alcorn st
Miss V St 135 eric Hemphill 72 27 fav Drake
Coppin St 191 j Cambell 57 23 fav Pitt 3 Way
Miss Valley St 135 Brandon Randolph 53 47 Undedog G Tech
Miss Valley St 135 Bryant Wetzstein 74 26 underdog Tenn Martin
Miss Valley St 135 John Park 59 20 Fav Aub
Prarie View 134 James Phillips 53 47 Underdog Florida St
Coppin St 192 Michael Larose 68 32 Underdog Coppin St
Coppin St 192 Thad Evans 72 28 Underdog Clev St
Drake 172 William Chilton 53 18 Fav Hou 3 way
Clemson 134 Bryan Lacy 57 43 Underdog Clemson
Clemson 134 Michael Williams 51 19 undergod Clemson 3 way
Prarie View 135 Hults 72 28 underdog Houston
Miss V State 136 Tyler Smith 55 45 underdog Ark Pine B
Prarie View 135 Kerry Phillippi 68 32 Fav Prarie View
Lamar 137 James Mingus 59 41 underdog PrarieView
Coppin St 193 Elmer Redden 61 39 underdog wagner
Coppin St 193 Micahel Dillard 54 46 unerdog Coppin St
West Virginia 137 Mathew Gilchrist 52 48 underdog West Virginia
Texas SA 173 Roy Samons 57 43 Underdog Oklahoma
Texas SA 173 John Baehr 48 20 Fav Oklahoma 3 way
Texas SA 173 James Vaetch 51 49 Fav New Mexico
Coppin St 193 James Knight 50 20 Fav Maryland 3 way
12/8/2022 12:02 PM
I have been tracking my battles for a quite some time. If you are trying to figure out whether you are running above or below expectation. Sum up all the % you had in your flips. Subtract 1.00 for each person you Won. Formula might look like this. SUM( % Considered ) - COUNTIF("W"). Frogoe can't really do that analysis on what you posted since I can't tell whether you where the favorite or not, but would be interested to see how you are running.
12/11/2022 5:50 PM (edited)
My main goal is to just see it makes sense to get as many "better" recruits to High.
12/12/2022 12:49 PM
Posted by Fregoe on 12/12/2022 12:49:00 PM (view original):
My main goal is to just see it makes sense to get as many "better" recruits to High.
I really do think the numbers, except for maybe 3-way VH-VH-H battles seem to work out as expected.

If you get 10 guys to 67-33 ahead .. you should win 6.7 players. You would need to get 20 players to 33% to mathematically win the same number of players.

So, the question becomes, is it cheaper to get 20 players to high or 10 players to very high.
12/13/2022 4:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
Bad Beats in Recruiting Odds Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.