The 52 Draft Season LXXVI Commentary Topic

I'll get the ball rolling on this.
Can we talk about how Dwight Howard got picked before Shaq and a couple other guys?? That's crazy sauce to me.
Nikola is also surprising going as early as he did.
7/10/2022 7:26 PM
Another strange one for me is giannis it seems like your getting the best player for 28th s a game. Is that enough to go too 5??
7/10/2022 8:03 PM

copernicus - Wilt Chamberlain, Bam Adebayo, Christian Wood, Kyle Lowry, Montrezl Harrell, Andre Iguodala, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Wilt and Christian Wood and carry a bum like me to another 52 championship. Should be well on your way.

Questions: How many minutes does Wood get on SG? That is the secret formula. You might have gotten too many guards.* Holy buckets... I finally found your team post after the extensive Carolina discussion. Looks like he has a chance to play SG

How I’d mess it up: I would have draft more threes and less guards

Who you got: Kyle Lowry. I would have gone Oladipo. I like him more than lowry (Terry Porter Part II?) And I really like him better on this team.

What I like: Obvi I like Wilt and Wood. All of these are great players, but I have some fit concerns

ncih - Steph Curry, Kevin McHale, Tyson Chandler, Brent Barry, Emeka Okafor, Bogdan Bogdonavic, Joel Przybilla

Rebounding is going to be a struggle. McHale and Chandler bring such great defense but are a little light on the glass and at times the defense may go wasted. I hope Chandler is backing up McHale so you can have one of them on at all times

Questions:

How I’d mess it up: I probably wouldn’t have drafted Barry and Okafor, but those guys are good. They have been pushed out with the newer players.

Who you got: Bogdan. I don’t get it. I hope you prove me wrong.

What I like: Inside-outside offense is about as lethal as it gets.

ysw128 - LeBron James, Jrue Holiday, Eric Bledsoe, Andrew Bogut, Tree Rollins, Kris Humphries, Jamario Moon

Play LeBron at Point. To draft PG/PG after Lebron is not ideal

Questions: Why so many PGs?

How I’d mess it up: I’m going to mess it up by having you in my division.

Who you got: Holiday/Bledsoe. ONe of those guys needed to be Marcus Camby

What I like: Lebron at 3 is a dream start. Jamario Moon is great SG.

riftonapple - Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kyrie Irving, Artis Gilmore, Zion Williamson, Bobby Jones, Amare Stoudemire, Nate McMIllan

This is really good. No notes.

Questions:

How I’d mess it up:

Who you got:

What I like: I mean. No notes. You crushed it.

albiband0 - Nikola Jokic, Bill Walton, Gary Payton, Jimmy Butler, Bobby Portis, Enes Kanter, Kevin Love

This team could go so many ways

Questions: What Love season is this?

How I’d mess it up: I don’t think I would. Butler backs up GP. Walton is behind Jokic, obviously. Love at SF. Please tell me you are playing Love at SF.

Who you got: Portis. He is good.it is a nitpick. Serge Ibaka would have been nice here imo.

What I like: I like my version of this team. Do we have the same vision?

longtallbrad - Dwight Howard, Paul George, Draymond Green, Derek Harper, Robert Parish, DeMarcus Cousins, Cole Aldrich

In my mind, LTB has Dwight every season.

Questions: Seriously, How may times have you had him?

How I’d mess it up: I could never pick the right Parish season.

Who you got: Derek Harper. Very confused to see him added here. A dream spot for Jimmy for me.

What I like: Really fun first three picks they all play defense and can cover for each other a bit in other ways

berkelon - Shaquille O’Neal, James Harden, Marcus Camby, Ben Simmons, Serge Ibaka, Chris Gatling, Marquese Chriss

Chris Gatling is DND (Do Not Draft) for me.

Questions: Are you willing to take a chance?

How I’d mess it up: If you have read these and still somehow think I have ANY IDea about what I’m talking about, I am about to let the cat out of the bag here. ... ... ... I’d bring Shaq off the bench.

Who you got: Chris Gatling. A logical Shaqup (Shaq’s backup) but you just don’t need that usage. A JaMario Moon type would have been much better.

What I like: In the 52, you gotta love just going best player available and figure it out later. You did that with your first five picks.

hoopsdude - Michael Jordan, Bob McAdoo, Donyell Marshall, Robert Williams, Jason Terry, Isaiah Stewart, Patrick Ewing

Does Pat Ewing have a kid? Is this Pat Ewing Jr?

Questions: Did you draft that Pat Ewing? Did you draft Pat Ewing in the 6th after taking McAdoo in the second?

How I’d mess it up: McAdoo 80-81 season. 97-98 Ewing

Who you got: Bob McAdoo in the 2nd is too early. These are Emeka Okafor numbers.

What I like: Great Isaiah Stewart season. Robert Williams? Great. Donyell is a winner.

samuelyork93 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shawn Marion, Chauncey Billups, Jared Vanderbilt, Brandon Clarke, Larry Sanders, Marvin Williams

KAJ at 9 is a steal. Don’t love Marion there, but you did a great job addressing their weaknesses. Very lucky to get Billups where you did and not have to worry about being stuck with someone awful like... I don’t know...Terry Porter.

Questions: What KAJ season? The defense update has changed how I view him.

How I’d mess it up: different KAJ and Marion seasons most likely, don;t know for sure where I’d settle on BIllups. He has more useful seasons that I think people realize.

Who you got: Shawn Marion. End of the second is a tough area. I wonder if I would have gone Gary Payton or Christian Wood there. Marion is good but I would have had a heard time taking him there. (maybe this should go in the where i would have messed this up section)

What I like: Sanders at SF is good and helps the team with the rebounding issues. Should be close to me with the low TOs. Vanderbilt, Clark, and Williams help in that way area too.

HDS1 - Rudy Gobert, Charles Barkley, Zach LaVine, Alonzo Mourning, Derrick Favors, Robert Covington, Charlie Ward

Really nice draft. Clearly mindful of efg, rebounding, and, to a degree, defense.

Questions: This is a strong draft. I’ll probaly end up with you in my division and regret it.

How I’d mess it up: Wrong seasons on the first 2 picks and Zo.

Who you got: Alonzo Mourning. I get it. Rudy defense and Barkley offense. This is very intersting and somethin I will keep an eye on. What you should have done was Embiid here.

What I like: good players.

milest - David Robinson, Andre Drummond, John Collins, Mike Conley, Richaun Holmes, Goran Dragic, Doug Christie

I like this team too. Robinson is great but people forget to pair him with a boardlord. Great team. I wish Porter would have fallen to you.

Questions: Goran feels like an ODL player to me. Was their someone else you were considering there?

How I’d mess it up: I don’t think I would. This was a very strong draft.

Who you got:

What I like: Pairing Drummond with Robinson is going to be a problem for the league. I really like that you got Conley who is much better than Terry Porter obviously (wink) Holmes and Collins are elite in their role. Christie is a nice guy to have. I have a couple of guys in his tier, but Do’t know exactly where I have him in that group.

gerryred - Karl Malone, Jason Kidd, Nikola Vucevic, Klay Thompson, Tom Boerwinkle, Kenneth Faried, Larry Nance Jr.

I like this team. I expect I will try to avoid it in the Division draft.

Questions: I love Kidd and Klay together. What does the team look like when one of them sits?

How I’d mess it up: I’d probably pick the wrong Kidd season.

Who you got: I’m a Vuec fan, he is someone I like on your team, but I think I would have grabbed Kemp there.

What I like: Good players. I am not seeing how they fit together. Maybe early for Vuec, but a eally good Mailman backup. I think that is a great plan in the 52.

tarheel1991 - Chris Paul, Magic Johnson, Elton Brand, Buck Williams, Samuel Dalembert, CJ McCollum, David Lee

The lazy thought would be where are the threes coming from. I am sure you will find them.

Questions: Did you say David Lee at backup center? He is such a unique player, I wish he was used more.

How I’d mess it up: I’d have Lee backup Brand at SF

Who you got: Dalembert. I’d love the pick n the ODL, but I would have made a bigger splash with that pick. I like the Buck pick, but Jarrett Allen was still there at the Dalembert spot

What I like: You are good at this and you got good players.

jhsukow - Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Julius Erving, Danny Green, Jonas Valanciunas, Kyle Anderson, Jarrett Allen, Kevon Looney

A little underwhelming for the guy how won the league the last two time he played.

Questions: Was the trade worth it?

How I’d mess it up: Playing Danny Grren at PG

Who you got: Danny Green. (and JV to a lesser degree) Jimmy Butler was there and you galaxy-brained it.

What I like: Jarrett Allen and Kevon Looney both were good value and fit an area of need.

redbooda - Dwyane Wade, Dejounte Murray, Horace Grant, Kris Middleton, Jakob Poeltl, Mel Daniels, Desmond Bane

These are good players. I think this league says that if you draft Mel Daniels, you waited too long to address that spot.

Questions: Wade in the 52 at 15 was too early. Would you have traded down or looked at someone else in that spot?

How I’d mess it up: I think I would build a very similar team with these guys

Who you got: IM not sure the market has settled on Murray a second rounder ahead of Magic Johnson.

What I like: Never upset with Horace Grant. Desmond Bane is nice here too

PirateSteve - Kevin Durant, Dennis Rodman, Pau Gasol, Marcus Smart, Victor Oladipo, T.J. McConnell, Domantas Sabonis

It sounds perfect, right? KD and Rodman should be a perfect pair. I have lived that life my friend. Wish you more success than I had. Really like this team though

Questions: What KD?

How I’d mess it up: I’d use a Warriors season. In my experience, it isn’t enough minutes.

Who you got: Marcus Smart seems like a shiny new toy reach.

What I like: The players. You never are upset with Pau Gasol in my experience. Some of the shine is off Domantas, but getting him at the end is good value.

kujhawker - Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Paul Pierce, Bill Bridges, Andrew Wiggins, Kirk Hinrich, Marcus Morris

Paul Pierce is much closer to undrafted than the 3rd round on my board.

Questions:

How I’d mess it up: I’m guessing I would build just about the same team that you would with these guys.

Who you got: Paul Pierce. I think we have too many new guys with good, clean usage. Paul Pierce is in my...(looks around and then whispers)...Terry Porter group of ehhhhhhhhh. Dr. J was still on the board.

What I like: I like Oscar in the first.

jonstephen25 - Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Dikembe Mutombo, Steve Nash, Mikal Bridges, Walt Frazier, Andrei Kirilenko

Lot of good value drafted, need to see the bigger picture though.

Questions:

How I’d mess it up: I think I’d punt on the Walt season. Good player, just not a great fit. I’d use the 386,755 Walt and bring Nash off the bench. (This is not a recommendation, just HOW I’D MESS IT UP)

Who you got: Kobe. You could have traded out of that spot and easily gotten him at the end of the 2nd. I would recommend you try that next season, because you drafted very good players in good spots, but Kobe just not a 1st round pick.

What I like: People will say that you took Kobe too early. Those people will be correct. However, Duncan fell and Mutombo fell, so...It didn't really hurt you too bad imo. I like Kobe more than most, but he is a PG. Nash and Walt is a bit crowded and could work, but is Bridge playing SF? I don’t love that. I actually like this team but am concerned about how it fits together.

beachhouse - John Stockton, Scottie Pippen, Ben Wallace, Manu Ginobili, Jamaal Tinsley, Paul Westphal

I know you have Stockton, but I wish Pippen played PG. Looks like you are playing him at SF

Questions: Ben Wallace vs. Dr. J and Danny Green. Might sound crazy, but I don’t think anyone “won” the trade. Love to hear what others think though.

How I’d mess it up: I would build a team without enough rebounds. Seems like that is where this is also headed. Not the Westphal I think I’d use, but i kind of get it.

Who you got: Paul Westphal. He is okay. Not sure what he is doing on this team. Ben Wallace can’t cover the rebounds of a Stockton Westphal backcourt imo. Andrei Kirilenko went right after and could play next to or backup Pippen.

What I like: Ben Wallace is great. I have never been successful with Manu, but he does very well.

steelers821 - Karl-Anthony Towns, Penny Hardaway, Larry Nance, Jerry Lucas, Mookie Blaylock, Jusuf Nurkic, Brandan Wright

First glance, didn’t love this team. Looking more at the numbers, you did really well.

Questions: Do you 2.5 M for the last 1000 minutes? Is this how successful teams used to draft? It is always great to get new blood on the site...even better to get old blood back.

How I’d mess it up: I don’t draft for the 52 like this. This is a very good team, just not how I build.

Who you got: I like Towns and don’t love Duncan...or so I thought. I think I would have gone Timmy there, but Towns is a unique player. And that is where he belongs imo, just wasn’t prepared to see Duncan fall (even though it was just two spots from the year before).

What I like: I liked the trade out of the first even if I didn’t love the picks. I think you got good value. I like Nance more than most too I think. Wright backing up Nance is great

seapilots - DeAndre Jordan, Clint Capela, Chris Boucher, Deron Williams, Joel Embiid, Clyde Drexler, Al Horford

This is my favorite team.

Questions: ...Who can challenge this team?

How I’d mess it up: I don’t know. I don’t think I could.

Who you got: I guess maybe I’d consider Ben Wallace in the Capela spot? I don’t know...

What I like: It can be scary to Low Usage, Low Usage, Low minutes...but this is why it is also brillant

dontburnearl - Larry Bird, Moses Malone, Tyrese Haliburton, Shawn Kemp, Lonzo Ball, Thaddeus Young, Chris Andersen

I expect this will be in the top tier.

Questions: A lot of questions. What Bird, Malone, and Kemp seasons specifically. These guys have multiple seasons to choose from and I will be interested to see what you come up with.

How I’d mess it up: All of it. These are great players that, with the Birdman exception, I have failed with or am still afraid to commit to.

Who you got: Being nit-picky, I guess i would challenge the Moses pick? He bring great minutes and better D than others guys at that spot, but i think I have Capela, Duncan, Ben Wallace...Towns? Ahead of him on my board.

What I like: These are great pieces. I know I have messed them up. This will be a team I will be checking in on for sure.as I have you, if not the top tier coaches on the site, the top of the second tier.

Midge - Kevin Garnett, Hakeem Olajuwon, Michael Porter, Terry Porter, Otto Porter, Tobias Harris, Jameer Nelson

Can’t have you in the top tier with Terry Porter. That is how much I hate that pick.

Questions: Why Terry Porter? Is it just the name?

How I’d mess it up: I don’t think I would. A lot of good picks, but I don’t think Terry Porter or Jameer Nelson should be drafted. You could add Nelson as an undreafted player imo.

Who you got: Beat a dead hourse, but you got Terry Porter. Deron Williams was sitting there. Steve Nash who I don’t love in this format had fallen and would be an interesting value potentially.

What I like: KG is a stud. Michael and Otto Porters and great fits next to KG. Love Tobias.

beloud - Kawhi Leonard, Hassan Whiteside, Luka Doncic, Joakim Noah, Mitchell Robinson, JaVale McGee, Daniel Gafford

This looks pretty good.

Who you got: Doncic vs Harden. You got Doncic 30 picks after...nice work.

What I like: A lot of great players go undrafted. I have you at 11M+ to fill it out.

7/26/2022 12:06 AM (edited)
I personally find it hard to pick giannis that early bc 1, you have to wait so long to pick again to make up those minutes you are missing out on and 2, his best seasons usage are so high there are only a handful of big men that can substitute in that position to avoid NO usage penalties
7/10/2022 8:26 PM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 7/10/2022 7:26:00 PM (view original):
I'll get the ball rolling on this.
Can we talk about how Dwight Howard got picked before Shaq and a couple other guys?? That's crazy sauce to me.
Nikola is also surprising going as early as he did.
I think both are pretty close to even with Shaq having a slight edge but Dwight can play both big man positions maybe he wanted some flexibility.
7/10/2022 9:34 PM
position flexibility, rebounding and defense vs slightly better usage and passing (but the usage is part FTAs which never get taken).
7/10/2022 11:00 PM
See with Dwight I have two problems with him. He turns it over a lot and shots terrible from the line. Both of those factors equals a lot of empty possessions that counter act his amazing rebounding. Shaq has the freethrow problem but doesn't hardly ever turn it over AND Shaq has higher usage for the to% meaning alot of high quality offense.

Best part about it is he WAS on my proxy list I sent out. When it comes down to big men with over 22.1 usage I would draft Shaq, Kareem, the Admiral, and possibly one other ahead of him but that last one is a toss up
7/11/2022 7:00 AM (edited)
What the hell is usage?
7/11/2022 1:56 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 7/10/2022 8:15:00 PM (view original):
If I was in a draft and he was available at 4, I would pick him 100 times out of 100
Who?
7/11/2022 2:08 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 7/11/2022 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jhsukow on 7/10/2022 8:15:00 PM (view original):
If I was in a draft and he was available at 4, I would pick him 100 times out of 100
Who?
Giannis
7/11/2022 2:36 PM
Posted by jonstephen25 on 7/11/2022 1:56:00 PM (view original):
What the hell is usage?
just in case this is a serious question this thread is a good place to start

Usage - How do I use this stat to build teams? - SimLeague Basketball | WhatIfSports.com

From the knowledgebase:
Usage% is the player's possessions (FGA + FTA * 0.44 + Turnovers) per minute as a percentage of his real-life team's possessions per minute. This value indicates how often a player either shot the ball, drew a foul, or turned the ball over. The SimEngine uses this value in relation to the other 4 players on his team to determine how often each player gets the ball.
7/11/2022 2:41 PM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 7/11/2022 7:00:00 AM (view original):
See with Dwight I have two problems with him. He turns it over a lot and shots terrible from the line. Both of those factors equals a lot of empty possessions that counter act his amazing rebounding. Shaq has the freethrow problem but doesn't hardly ever turn it over AND Shaq has higher usage for the to% meaning alot of high quality offense.

Best part about it is he WAS on my proxy list I sent out. When it comes down to big men with over 22.1 usage I would draft Shaq, Kareem, the Admiral, and possibly one other ahead of him but that last one is a toss up
That's a fair and reasonable take. I do place a premium on rebounding in this league, and have had more success building around Howard than around Shaq and other bigs worth considering in the top 10. Yes, he makes more than his share of mistakes but it's not impossible to compensate for that the rest of the draft.
7/11/2022 3:50 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 7/10/2022 8:03:00 PM (view original):
Another strange one for me is giannis it seems like your getting the best player for 28th s a game. Is that enough to go too 5??
I think I took him with the sixth pick two seasons ago. I used his 20-21 season so I could play him mostly at SF for an advantage on the boards. I was nervous only getting 2300 minutes with my first pick. I ended up with the title, but got hugely lucky with D. Wade falling to me at the bottom of the second round.
7/11/2022 3:53 PM
between the boards and the D I can accept a couple TO a game but is it even that? he's a 16% at most of his better seasons so what is that going to work out to be? one more a game? 2 more every now and then? how many opp possessions is he going to end 100 d and the rebounds?
7/11/2022 4:08 PM
I prefer Dwight over Shaq but it is so close
7/11/2022 4:18 PM
1|2|3...19 Next ▸
The 52 Draft Season LXXVI Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.