ODL commentary Topic

I give myself credit for teaching the sim community that Mo Cheeks and Derek Harper suck. I’d like to extend into teaching everyone that Mookie Blaylock also sucks.
8/14/2022 9:19 PM
Thanks for the evals,. Rob! I feel like I got very lucky last year to get Steph, so I don't know who I am yet in this league. I feel like I have to win without one of the top 3 guys in order to really know if I've arrived in the ODL. which is why I chose "closer to 24" (and I wanted to go big). I felt way out of my depth choosing the divisions, so I leaned heavily on past performance.

My first try in the ODL (without Steph) was 29 wins, so we'll see where we land. I'm hoping for over .500. Famous last words. I didn't plan to take Vuc, and he was not the right guy to take when you need to save money, but I figured why not be a little daring and be big and fun across the front line....I added a nice guy for some bench at SF, and I'm actually going to play Danny Green at SF for 14 min, so hopefully I won't be too exposed there defensively. I hope I can make up for Green's rebounding limitations with my front line. I really like the team and am plenty excited, but that just means I'm excited. Live and learn!

Will
8/14/2022 10:39 PM (edited)
nice evals rob - thanks
8/15/2022 9:01 AM
Posted by beachhouse on 8/14/2022 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 8/13/2022 6:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by beachhouse on 8/13/2022 5:13:00 PM (view original):
I am not sure where the ODL was when my original profile was started, but I played season 1 of the 52 mil
Jeez still recognize any owners?
NCIH for sure; he left for a while from what I remember. Original 52 Mil would've been guys like DH, Scud, (there was a guy playing from Germany, I want to say it was like Kartenberg or something like that) Ash etc.
I joined very early, but I was not in the original. Someone dropped out during the draft and I took their spot.

Kfunk is one of ony two WIS owners I have actually met. Keith and I and another gentleman (don't remember his user name) met for lunch.
8/15/2022 9:35 AM
Posted by ncih on 8/15/2022 9:35:00 AM (view original):
I am not sure where the ODL was when my original profile was started, but I played season 1 of the 52 mil
NCIH for sure; he left for a while from what I remember. Original 52 Mil would've been guys like DH, Scud, (there was a guy playing from Germany, I want to say it was like Kartenberg or something like that) Ash etc.
I joined very early, but I was not in the original. Someone dropped out during the draft and I took their spot.

Kfunk is one of ony two WIS owners I have actually met. Keith and I and another gentleman (don't remember his user name) met for lunch.
You're totally right; wasn't it KFunk who started it?
8/15/2022 11:16 AM
beachhouse: Duncan, Tim; Garnett, Kevin; Mutombo, Dikembe; Millsap, Paul; VanVleet, Fred; Ball, Lonzo; Ford, Phil
Shooting efficiency does not seem to have been a priority for beachhouse but defense certainly seems like it was. The passing numbers should be very good. Rebounding is light in the backcourt and just above average in the front court. This should be a very low turnover team and probably about average on fouls. Right now the usage eye ball test looks like it might end up a little low. Out of the playoff race but not a bottom dweller.

So I should have about 12 usage points at all times. TD, KG are 4 each and then Mutombo is 1. The guards are 2 and Millsap is also 4. It's going to be an interesting experiment. I think I'll be light on Rebounds. Passing I'll be ok on, but nothing exciting.
8/15/2022 11:21 AM
Posted by beachhouse on 8/15/2022 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ncih on 8/15/2022 9:35:00 AM (view original):

You're totally right; wasn't it KFunk who started it?
Yes it was KFunk. It was like the Funk52 originally or something like that...he was a good dude.
8/15/2022 11:22 AM
Posted by robusk on 8/14/2022 9:19:00 PM (view original):
I give myself credit for teaching the sim community that Mo Cheeks and Derek Harper suck. I’d like to extend into teaching everyone that Mookie Blaylock also sucks.
You couldn’t have said this before I picked him in the 52? He’s actually leading the league in steals and near the top in 3s but everything else is meh at best
8/15/2022 12:52 PM
JWeb1510 and Jakotay were probably original KFunk participants.

JWeb kept a database for both drafts of all players taken and their draft positions.

Captainzen and Davkarball are other possibilities
8/15/2022 2:17 PM
1899_spiders
8/15/2022 10:25 PM
ncih: Towns, Karl-Anthony; Lillard, Damian; Williams, Buck; Frazier, Walt; Bridges, Miles; Smith, Larry; Beasley, Michael
When you see Towns and Lillard to start, you are going to assume all offense and no defense. But then Frazier and Buck as a follow up is interesting since they do the opposite. Ultimately, the best version of all four is going to be pretty expensive so I am somewhat dubious it will come together. I love Bridges (POS in RL) and Beasley has that one low minute season that rules (I wanted to use it myself). Larry Smith doesn’t make sense on this team to me. Out of the playoffs, 30-35 wins.
NotoriousJ: Curry, Stephen; Green, Draymond; Ginobili, Manu; O'Quinn, Kyle; Sanders, Larry; McRoberts, Josh; Poole, Jordan
Well, the bad is that this team is going to turn the ball over a helluva lot. I suspect it will also foul a lot. Outside of Curry and Manu, I don’t feel great about the shooting. There is some strong defense here, the rebounding should be average. Most of the picks made sense in a vacuum and were good value where they were taking but this team may be too “dirty.” However, there are so many threes (could end up around ~1K) that is could just be a volume came. I think a playoff contender, 5-8 range.
PBandJ: Bird, Larry; Johnson, Magic; Noah, Joakim; Boerwinkle, Tom; Allen, Ray; Cousins, DeMarcus; Jackson, Mark
Well, if you thought the last team liked to turn it over… woh mama. This is one of the most turnover heavy teams we have had in a while. Probably low on threes and high on fouls too. It will likely shoot decent, be below average on defense while being amazing on passing and good on rebounds. I think this team is praying for some AST% magic that never comes. 20-30 wins.
pharrop: O'Neal, Shaquille; Porter, Michael; Holmes, Richaun; Ward, Charlie; Harris, Tobias; Porzingis, Kristaps; McConnell, T.J.
pharrop had a great run there for a while but has been on a luke warm streak. A few curious things here as I like Porter and Holmes at 3 and Harris at 2. So does that make Porzingis the only 4? Also, I think Charlie Ward sucks. Outside of defense he really doesn’t offer much. Shaq rules but I am just confused with this team. There are 4 players I truly love but everyone outside of Shaq doesn’t seem to be set up for success. Fringe playoff contender, probably outside looking in.
PirateSteve: Howard, Dwight; Stockton, John; Jones, Bobby; Malone, Moses; Murray, Dejounte; Rondo, Rajon; Nance, Larry
I guess I sorted by alphabet and this section of the alphabet is just willing to hand the ball over to the opponent at all times. Moses was available way too late but at this salary spot, I think you gotta go with a low minute version. Honestly everyone on this team is so expensive the only way to put it together is to use bad version of each player. Either PirateSteve is playing at a higher cap, does salary voodoo or is picking low quality versions of each. Given that I can’t predict the seasons used, it is a hard team to forecast. 28-37 wins?
raggedclaws: Harden, James; Wood, Christian; Bogut, Andrew; Marion, Shawn; Love, Kevin; Vanderbilt, Jarred; Wallace, Gerald
F***ing ragged. This is a very good team. I am having a hard time figuring out the forward position. Harden at PG is lovely. Gerald Wallace and Jarred Vanderbilt at SG is amazing. Bogut at C is a perfect fit. Wood, Marion and Love are all best at SF. Bogut is low minutes. So there are tons of PF/C minutes to fill out. Will he have the cap space? Division winner contention, outside chance at finals. Fringe championship contender.
8/15/2022 10:26 PM
reeldeal01: Jordan, Michael; Camby, Marcus; Collins, John; Parish, Robert; Conley, Mike; Calderon, Jose; Gafford, Daniel
Very well done. Gafford + Camby rules at one big man spot. I don’t love Parish but he always does well. Collins slots in nicely next to them. Conley + Calderon is low on D but Jordan should cover. There should be enough D and rebounding to make 0 defense on Jordan a tough call. This team will be super low on fouls and turnovers, I think. Honestly… championship contender.
riftonapple: Davis, Anthony; Irving, Kyrie; Pippen, Scottie; Gilmore, Artis; Looney, Kevon; Kanter, Enes; Bogdanovic, Bogdan
Pippen and Gilmore are what throw me off. They both lasted too long, but they are really expensive and I don’t know how they fit along the cost sense versions of Davis and Irving. Looney is great at SF/SG and Kanter is a nice off the bench big. No thoughts on Bogdanovic. Davis + Kyrie should be automatic playoffs but I am having a hard time predicting the rest of the team given the conflict between 3rd and 4th picks versus 1st and 2nd. This team could finish anywhere… First round exit?
robusk: Durant, Kevin; Walton, Bill; Middleton, Khris; Allen, Jarrett; Wright, Delon; Drexler, Clyde; Iguodala, Andre
Easy to gameplan against with the right pieces, cliché build, weak bench in frontcourt. Total trash.
steelers821: Wallace, Ben; Doncic, Luka; Siakam, Pascal; Morant, Ja; Payne, Cameron; Johnson, James; Ray, Clifford
Really way too early for Ben Wallace. He is barely better than Camby who goes way later. People are Doncic crazy in SLBk but even if he rules in real life he is tough here. Pascal, Morant, James Johnson and Clifford Ray are all tremendous value. So while I think the early picks are rough, the back end is great. Is it good enough to lift the roster? Hard to tell. I think I might be just on the outside of the playoffs but this team could sneak in.
ty84moss: Barkley, Charles; Kidd, Jason; Embiid, Joel; Lowry, Kyle; Varejao, Anderson; Konchar, John; Gibson, Taj
Except for Gibson, this is a pretty traditional ODL team. I am not sure who backs up Embiid and Barkley, there could be some usage problems off the bench. That is a beautiful backcourt rotation. I like Varejao a lot. Maybe Barkley is playing PF and Embiid backs him up? It is hard to tell. Defense will probably be a bit light but overall, pretty solid. Picking the right Barkley is always tricky. I will say fringe playoff contender.
ysw128: Leonard, Kawhi; Whiteside, Hassan; Favors, Derrick; Wade, Dwyane; Bynum, Andrew; Barry, Brent; Price, Mark
Great, great team for the most part. Ysw always seduces me with his drafting. Except for how Wade might slot in I might have no notes. Wade is the real wildcard because every other pick seems like such an obvious fit. If you remove Wade from the equation, I can plot out the rotation pretty well, see the efficiency, see the defensive assignments. I worry ysw might be doing some crazy decisions on seasons and cap to fit Wade in when maybe he could have just made a better pick? High variance team… could be fringe playoff contender to title contender.
8/15/2022 10:45 PM
Thanks for working on these robusk. I admit I regret picking Ben Wallace and I really don’t even remember good reasoning for doing it. But I think I picked really well after that including luka. I guess we’ll see how he does.
8/16/2022 8:53 AM
Division Draft
Atlantic Midwest Pacific Central
benhoidal robusk berkelon gerryred
jethroeg ncih dakjd901 PBandJ
steelers821 beachhouse ty84moss PirateSteve
NotoriousJ albiband0 jhsukow pharrop
ysw128 copernicus Midge chewy3344
raggedclaws reeldeal01 riftonapple jackedjamie
-
-
benhoidal robusk berkelon gerryred
jethroeg jethroeg dakjd901 jethroeg
dakjd901 ncih PBandJ PBandJ
steelers821 beachhouse ty84moss dakjd901
ncih steelers821 steelers821 PirateSteve
PBandJ PirateSteve ncih beachhouse
beachhouse dakjd901 beachhouse steelers821
PirateSteve ty84moss jethroeg nih
NotoriousJ NotoriousJ jhsukow ty84moss
albband0 PBandJ PirateSteve albiband0
ysw128 albiband0 albiband0 pharrop
Midge ysw128 ysw128 chewy3344
pharrop jhsukow Midge NotoriousJ
raggedclaws copernicus NotoriousJ ysw128
copernicus Midge raggedclaws riftonapple
jhsukow pharrop riftonapple jhsukow
ty84moss reeldeal01 jackedjamie Midge
jackedjamie riftonapple copernicus copernicus
chewy3344 jackedjamie pharrop reeldeal01
riftonapple raggedclaws reeldeal01 raggedclaws
reeldeal01 chewy3344 chewy3344 jackedjamie
8/16/2022 4:49 PM (edited)
hmmm, Jackedjamie Chewy Pharrop and Gerryred all in my division.....ehhhhhh
8/16/2022 6:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
ODL commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.