NEW GAME CONCEPT (HBD/SLB variant) Topic

Posting in a few locations to hopefully get more input/feedback

The basic premise would be a single 16 team format. 4 divisions of 4 teams. No AL or NL, Like only the AL side instead, as all teams would employ the DH. Schedule would be 10 games vs everyone outside the division (120) plus 14 vs the 3 in your division (42). Of course the size of the league could also be larger if warranted.

Salary cap of 100M
No cap on player salary however, because it is only a single season format, there are no multi year contracts to worry about.
You could spend 35M on one guy if you chose to do so, and would just have to fill the remainder of your roster with the remaining 65M.
It would use a player pool generated like they would do for a new HBD world, but it would play much more like a SLB league in all other aspects. No coach hiring, training, medical, scouting budgets or injuries to worry about. It isn't a Dynasty game at all, though we would use the HBD engine for game simulation.

It would, of course, employ a draft phase, because I am a sucker for the concept of putting together your own team via draft rather than random player assignment.

The draft concept is one I've been kicking around on how to best accomplish within the framework of the site. What I've kind of settled on is like this:

The entire player pool would look like HBD Free Agency.
You make your offers to a max of 5 players on day 1 (A full 6 cycles to give everyone time to get their bids in).
The players sign next am cycle to the highest bidder. No bubbles showing if you're leading or not. Just one bid per owner on a player, highest bidder wins. Period.
From there you may only ever have 5 offers out at a time and players accept once a day @ every am1 cycle.
This would continue until all 25 men have been acquired for each team.
The time it takes may be equivalent to the off season activities of a regular HBD season, or maybe a bit longer, but surely would wrap up sooner than when ST usually does.
Then you run 162 games @ 3 per day with no days off. I think it would run about 75ish days as opposed to 86.
This next part only works if the idea were to garner enough interest to warrant multiple worlds.
PROMOTION/RELEGATION:

Regardless of division, the bottom 4 owners (by record) get relegated to the next lower tier and the 4 owners in the next lower tier who made it to the Divisional round of playoffs would be promoted to the next higher tier.

Any folks not renewing for season 2 would take the place of those lower ranked teams who would have been relegated.
So say 2 owners didn't re-up. In this scenario since you only need 2 more to open the 4 spots needed for the incoming lower tier guys, only the 2 lowest ranked owner would be relegated to make 4 openings.
If more than 4 folks leave, you take however many (in order of success) from tier 2 to fill tier 1.
Initially it's just one or two tiers depending on interest level anyway, and they would always start simultaneously.
If interest picks up you make a waiting list and if that list gets long enough to warrant it, you create a 3rd tier which also begins simultaneously with tier 1 & 2.
Openings would only ever be for that bottom tier world, and over time those higher tiers would be stronger and stronger as you promoted the most successful owners each season. Moving up through the tiers will eventually be pretty challenging.

Lastly SLB has a toggle to select how large your league is. I believe there are leagues with anywhere from 32 to 12 teams.
In that same way I think WIS could always adjust the size of that lowest tier to fit the demand...

I think I've explained as best as I could.
Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

INTERESTED OWNERS

1) Vitamin_C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
4) shobob
5) intern_hc
6) mr_stickball
7) tk21775
8) captain10a
9) foulballz
10) SimSoxs
11) pwesseler
12) dlcousins
9/15/2022 11:19 PM (edited)
I like the overall concept.

I am all for a draft as described above but I think it could lead to some unbalanced teams. By unbalanced I mean a team that ends up with more players than needed at 1 position and/or no players or short of the number of players needed at other positions. A solution to this would be to allow trading after the draft is finished. The current HBD trade mechanism where owners can veto trades should work well.
8/28/2022 10:06 PM
Posted by dyoungquist on 8/28/2022 10:06:00 PM (view original):
I like the overall concept.

I am all for a draft as described above but I think it could lead to some unbalanced teams. By unbalanced I mean a team that ends up with more players than needed at 1 position and/or no players or short of the number of players needed at other positions. A solution to this would be to allow trading after the draft is finished. The current HBD trade mechanism where owners can veto trades should work well.
Thank you for the feedback.

IMO, trading kind of detracts from the concept, which is building your team from scratch.

Plus trade vetos are a PITA to deal with in HBD. Lots of hurt feelings and "I paid for my team, so I should be able to do what I want".

It will definitely require a good deal of planning and paying attention to the player pool and who's getting signed every day.
8/29/2022 7:20 AM
If I can't fill a hole by trading that will change my draft strategy for sure.

What about injuries? With no AAA team for call ups (and no trading), a 60+ day injury could leave a big hole in a team for the rest of the season. A couple injuries to key players could end up knocking you down a tier when you have no way to cover for them. Even short injuries could be a problem that causes a team to play several games with a roster of only 21 or 22 active players. I can see that happening to owners causing them to get frustrated and leave.
8/29/2022 9:20 AM (edited)
My proposal opted for no injuries.

I envision something like the SLB draft board where you are required to draft x number of PAs for your hitters and x number of IPs for your staff.

This could employ the same concept using DUR rating for hitters and DUR/STA for pitchers.
8/29/2022 9:50 AM
I would definitely be interested in participating if something like this got off the ground, and if I'm understanding correctly there only needs to be a minimum of 16 owners interested to try it out. To make things easy, here's a running list of interested owners:

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
8/29/2022 10:16 AM
Posted by bruinsfan911 on 8/29/2022 10:16:00 AM (view original):
I would definitely be interested in participating if something like this got off the ground, and if I'm understanding correctly there only needs to be a minimum of 16 owners interested to try it out. To make things easy, here's a running list of interested owners:

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
Remember though, this was just an idea.
I doubt ADMIN would put a lot of bandwidth into a concept that only appealed to 16 folks...
8/29/2022 10:38 AM
Interested. I've participated in each of the draft tournament worlds so far, and I'll be in this one if it gets off the ground
8/29/2022 11:31 AM
Definitely interested. Need something to spice up HBD since what has worked for so long seems no longer feasible.
8/29/2022 2:46 PM
Add me to INTERESTED OWNERS

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
4) shobob
5) intern_hc
6) mr_stickball

8/29/2022 2:52 PM

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
4) shobob
5) intern_hc
6) mr_stickball

8/29/2022 2:52 PM
Posted by mr_stickball on 8/29/2022 2:52:00 PM (view original):

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
4) shobob
5) intern_hc
6) mr_stickball

Thanks guys
8/29/2022 2:55 PM

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
4) shobob
5) intern_hc
6) mr_stickball
7) tk21775
8/29/2022 3:01 PM
Posted by Vitamin_C on 8/29/2022 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bruinsfan911 on 8/29/2022 10:16:00 AM (view original):

1) Vitamin C
2) bruinsfan911
3) dyoungquist
Remember though, this was just an idea.
I doubt ADMIN would put a lot of bandwidth into a concept that only appealed to 16 folks...
To be clear, I phrased it that way because my line of thinking was "if we can get 16 people then we can beta test it and if it works then admin can start marketing it to a wider audience." From the posts above it seems like we're nearly halfway there already, which is great
8/29/2022 6:29 PM
What about ballpark ratings? Would all teams be in the same neutral park or do we get to choose from a range of hitter friendly to neutral to pitcher friendly ballparks? I am hoping for a range of parks because I do not like the recent ballpark update in HBD.
8/30/2022 9:17 AM
12 Next ▸
NEW GAME CONCEPT (HBD/SLB variant) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.