Does anyone employ the double team and, if so, when is it successful? Understand if a player is scoring 40% of a team’s points but what about when a team has a sharpshooter and a high scoring post guy?
10/31/2022 11:34 AM
There are a lot of double team strategies out there you can consider. When I'm playing man defense, I usually like to use double teams if I see the other team has 1-3 players who score more than the rest of the team. Which players I double and how I do that can vary. Using your example above, I might double the sharpshooter and go negative on my defensive positioning (to help with the defense against the post guy). Or maybe I do the opposite and double the post guy and go positive on my defensive positioning. Or if those are the only two legit scorers, maybe I just double both of them.

Sometimes I'll double team a player because I think my weak defender at that position will be targeted. Sometimes I'll switch my best defender to their best offensive player and apply a double team (if I have an elite defender, this has worked really well for me--especially in causing turnovers).

I also recently heard someone say in Discord that if they have a fast, athletic team, they will put "Double Team if leading Scorer" on every player. I've never tried this, but it sounds interesting. I also can't speak to zone double teams and what expected results are--I'm just now trying out some zone teams.

But for man defense, double teams work great, they should be used often, and they work best if you have a solid defensive team.
10/31/2022 2:19 PM
Here's what I wrote in my guide. To lazy to repurpose it:

Double team - A team with a very high percentage (around 75%) of their 3s from one player OR from one starter and one bench player get an auto-double on that/those players and then I play WAY under (at least -3). This defense is as close to a cheat code as there is in this game. Outside of that situation, I’ll generally start to consider a double when a player is accounting for about 25% of their team’s shots. The larger the disparity is between that player and the next highest distribution as well as how good my defender that I expect to be covering that person is will also influence my decision. I rarely double two players, but I will if they account for about 60%+ of a team’s shots. Occasionally you will also see a team who is letting a bench player take nearly all of the 2nd unit’s shots. I like the “double if leading scorer” button in that situation.

Addendum: When playing man, I probably use a double team against roughly 50% of the human coaches I play. Alittle less in a zone but still use it fairly frequently.
10/31/2022 3:55 PM
I've double team only when the player is the clear scoring option AND they have a low passing score. I'll only do it on "if leading scorer" option too.
My thought is that he's turn the ball over with a lower passing score.
11/8/2022 12:49 PM
I use double teams constantly in a mixture of ways, some of which are mentioned in previous posts.

Probably 75% of games, not including my FCP teams, I'm doing a combination of "always double" and "if leading scorer". In zone that probably jumps to 90%.
11/8/2022 1:11 PM
Posted by jweatherman on 11/8/2022 1:11:00 PM (view original):
I use double teams constantly in a mixture of ways, some of which are mentioned in previous posts.

Probably 75% of games, not including my FCP teams, I'm doing a combination of "always double" and "if leading scorer". In zone that probably jumps to 90%.
Me too
11/8/2022 5:19 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/8/2022 5:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jweatherman on 11/8/2022 1:11:00 PM (view original):

Me too
same
11/9/2022 2:04 AM
Does double teaming have different results depending on which division you play in?
11/10/2022 5:23 PM
That’s an interesting question. It’s more successful in the lower divisions, in theory, because the average guard skill rating is lower. Generally speaking, DTs are more successful in creating turnovers on players with crappy guard skills. At D1, even post players can have solid guard skills.
11/11/2022 2:32 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.