Beernoser's Neighbor League - Topic

This is a league that we've run a few times over the years. We are just finishing up the years 4 version so thought we'd see what kind of interest there is for a years 5 version.

The league is not a progressive league. It's just a one time shot that can be repeated. The rules are pretty complicated so it's probably not the right league for a beginner or someone with a passing interest in WIS. It's better for the hard core owner. So here are the complicated rules.

Standard 20 team league, four divisions, five teams per division, $ 80 million budget, no DH.

Your final roster will be constructed from combining the rosters of four real life teams from a pool of all major league teams that played in 1925, 35, 45, 55, 65, or 75. For instance, you could build your final roster from players from the 1975 Mets, 1965 Dodgers, 1925 A's and 1975 Reds. The rostering is not as simple as that. It is quite restrictive.

Once the season starts you can start a player at any position at which he has a WIS rating for that season. However on your final 25 man roster you must have exactly two players who have a primary position at catcher, 2 1B, 2 2B, 2 3B, 2 shortstops, 5 outfielders and 10 pitchers. You can tell what position a player counts as by rostering in a team, say the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers you see Jackie Robinson as a third baseman. That means if he makes your final roster he will be one of your team's two third basemen. Once the season starts he can start at any position he has a WIS rating. Lucky you. Jackie has a WIS rating at 1B, 2B, and outfield in addition to he 3B primary rating. A guy like that is a very valuable guy in this league.

VERY IMPORTANT! We all have to be looking at the same information to make this league work. When you pick a team, you have to know who you get. Here's the only league approved way to do it. Look at a blank draft center page. See where it says 2015 Anaheim Angels? You can switch that to any team and any year. That's the only officially approved way to see who you get on your team. This is very important because there are two wrong ways to do it and people do it the wrong way every time and they make decisions thinking they have players they don't in fact have. One wrong way to do it is to go to baseball-reference.com nd look at the 1955 Dodgers. That will give you a different set of players than the approved method. The other wrong way id to go to a blank WIS draft center page and click on a blank SP/RP spot and ask to see the 1955 Dodgers pitchers. That will give you a wrong group of players also. Let's do an experiment. Ask WIS to call up the 1955 Dodgers the correct way by changing the 2015 Anaheim Angels to the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers. Notice you get 12 pitchers. Now let's do it the wrong way. Go to a blank screen, pick an empty pitcher spot and ask to see the 1955 Dodger pitchers. Oops. There are 13 of them. Joe Black appears with 124 innings. If you do the roster the wrong way, you will think you have Joe Black for 124 innings when he is in fact not eligible. This is very important to get this right as people do it wrong every time.

On your final roster you must have 7 players from one of your four teams, and six from each of the other three. You can't have two versions of the same player on your final roster. For instance if you are using the 1945 Indianss and 1955 Indians, you can't roster both Bob Fellers. You can use one or none.

As soon as 24 owners are signed up you will be randomly assigned a draft order and division. The draft order goes 1-24, 1-24, 24-1, 24-1. Having an early pick in this draft is no particular advantage. Here's how the draft works.

Round One- Once your draft spot comes up you can pick any team from the available teams from 1925, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75. Once you pick a team, no one else can pick that same team. If you pick the 1975 Dodgers, no one else can use the 1975 Dodgers.

Round Two - One of your three division mates will be assigned the task of gifting you your second round team. He should look at your first round pick and find another team which meshes horribly with it. For instance let's say your first round pick was the 1965 Dodgers, great pitching but not much hitting. Maybe the 1975 Mets would be a bad match since they have Seaver, Koosman and Matlack but again, not much hitting. Maybe an even better match would be the WWII era 1945 Philadelphia Blue Jays who don't have a whole lot of pitching or hitting. They do have a few cheap backups that might help your budget though. Anyway, you get the idea. Your second round pick will be awarded to you by a division mate who will try to screw you over the best he can.

Round Three - A second owner within your division will be assigned the task of gifting you the third round team that he expects will give you the most grief.

Round Four - You get to choose your fourth round team that will make as much sense as you can out of the mess you have before you, knowing the dagger rounds are coming next.

First Dagger - The third owner of your division gets to throw two daggers at your roster pool/ He will look at your four teams and can throw a dagger at one player removing him from your player pool. Who to dagger? Your only leadoff batter? Your best power hitter? Your only cheap backup 1B? Your only shortstop with over 300 at bats? Your fourth starter who's a bargain at 2.1 million? The only guy who plays four different positions? The possibilities are a puzzle You might end up daggering someone who he wasn't planning on using anyway. IF your opponent has the 1955 and 1965 Mickey Mantles, daggering Mickey kills them both. The second dagger is to remove one of your four stadiums.

Final Dagger - The final team in your division gets to throw one final dagger. It doesn't hurt as much as the first one though. You get to name which of your four teams the dagger must hit.

I know this is complicated but we've run it many times over the years and it results in a very enjoyable draft. Prepare to do the research though as you'll pull your hair out trying to analyze your division mates teams before picking another team for them or daggering them I know it's complicated. It's a league for those who like complicated.

Please sign up or ask questions.
2/22/2023 12:49 AM (edited)
1. beernoser

2. whalers10

3. vilefileman

4. eman7400

5. _jwillis

6. oldtimer59

7. calhoop

8. ermocito

9. reddtrain

10 kentol

11 jpeterso

12 midknight

13 BeAllEndAll

14 redcped

15 summerfield

16 jonstephen25

17 razorclams

18 just4me

19 seay00

20 fatguyd

wait list

1. danny10
2/28/2023 12:41 AM (edited)
Back for sure!
11/8/2022 6:19 PM
Back and disappointed
11/8/2022 6:20 PM
I'll come back for another season
11/8/2022 7:53 PM
This league was so fun. And not just because my '74 Phil Niekro went 37-8, turning in the single most dominant pitching season I've ever had as a SLB manager.

The draft lasts for several rounds, each more fun than the last. It really feels like a puzzle that you have to solve even as your division mates keep taking the pieces. By the end, you've built an extremely interesting team, one you would never build for any other league. Contending with the design challenges and seeing all of the different strategies evolve in real time during the draft is quite fascinating.

Can't wait to play again.
11/8/2022 8:15 PM
I'll play.
11/8/2022 8:44 PM
Will be back. Really great, complex draft. One of the most fun on the site. Very competitive as well. My division went down to game 162.
11/8/2022 10:20 PM
Being my first time in the league, it's a little bit daunting, so I looked up the thread for the last draft. Should be fun. Here it is:

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=534133&TopicsTimeframe=180&TopicsPage=0
11/8/2022 10:45 PM
I'm losing badly and back for more. This league has been the single most exciting draft experience on WIS, by far. I examined each of over 100 teams closely and felt great about both my team picks. The bad teams handed to me were surely bad, and my daggers against my division worked well. Yet I am in last place. I will do better against you, prospective player who is reading this. I'm as bad of a neighbor as any.
11/9/2022 2:14 AM
I thought I had built a decent team this time...

I went 74-88.

My masochistic streak has kicked in - sign me up for another!
11/9/2022 4:48 AM
Count me in - thanks for setting up another round...
11/9/2022 7:56 AM
I'm back to correct my mistakes. Fun league.
11/9/2022 9:18 AM
My first round draft pick was the 34 Yankees as I anticipated Murderer's Row of Ruth, Gehrig, Dickey, Lazzeri, Combs and Chapman.

Only Ruth and Lazzeri made it onto my final roster and I finished below 500.
11/9/2022 6:07 PM
LCS starts tomorrow.

I've drawn calhoop, whose team leans heavily on hitters from the '24 Tigers and pitchers from '64 Reds and '74 Royals. He also managed to wring one decent season (Sid Gordon) out of the '54 Pirates, but boy was that a good screw pick. The other five players he had to take from that miserable team contributed just about nuthin' all year long... and his team still won the division.

Just goes to show: in this league, when someone screws ya, you'll be lucky to get one decent player out of it. But that might be all you need.
11/9/2022 10:00 PM
1234 Next ▸
Beernoser's Neighbor League - Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.