New - Around the Bases Progressive - Full Topic

You play to win the game! - Herm Edwards
This league provides a unique opportunity to compete and win. No long rebuilds of a bad franchise. No getting stuck in a division with a dynasty. Each team has a window for success that lasts 4 seasons then the whole league reshuffles and everyone starts with a fresh chance to win the game.

There are two spots remaining. You may select any available team that you want however the last 2 teams will be placed in the AL East division.

Limited spots available - sign up now!!

This will be a single season progressive starting in 1970. The league will start with 16 teams. The way you build your team is where this league will be different from other single season progressives.

1. Each owner will claim a team upon entry to the league. First come, first served.
2. Each owner may keep / roster 5 players that are part of their team from 1970 in WIS - clones are possible.
3. The first draft will be based upon real life wins and losses from 1970.

4. Here's where we go around the bases. Teams will draft from a rotating player pool from one season to the next.

Year 1 - National League East teams will draft from the American League East player pool and vice versa. National League West Teams will draft from the American League West player pool and vice versa.

Year 2 - National League East teams will draft from the American League West player pool and vice versa. National League West teams will draft from the American League East player pool and vice versa.

Year 3 - National League East teams will draft from the National League West player pool and vice versa. American League East teams will draft from the American League East player pool and vice versa.

Year 4 - National League East teams will draft from the National League East player pool. NL West from NL West. American League East teams will draft from the American League East player pool. AL West from AL West.

Note - When MLB expands, the Central Division player pool will be available to either the East or West divisions for purposes of the draft.

Example, Around the Bases:

Season 1

NL East drafts from AL East
NL West drafts from AL West
AL East drafts from NL East
AL West draft from NL West

5. After we have gone around the bases, we will shuffle the deck and start from scratch except franchises will be drafted not first come, first served. The order of the draft will be based upon league standings - worst to first. Tiebreakers: Head to head, Run differential head to head, divisional record.

6. Keepers:

Year 1 you can roster up to 5 players in advance of the draft. You will be asked to declare those players.
Year 2 you can keep up to 10 players from your prior year's squad.
Year 3 you can keep up to 15 players from your prior year's squad.
Year 4 you can keep up to 20 players from your prior year's squad.
Year 5 - refer to Year 1

7. Draft order - First season draft order is listed below. Subsequent seasons will be decided by league standings. When we shuffle the deck - every 5th year - we will revert to the Year 1 method of drafting. Refer to bullet point 5 for tiebreakers.

No I/R
AAA - 6 and 4 generated by WIS - average quality
Stadiums need to be specific to your franchise
DH in both leagues
All WIS Rookies go to the draft pool. All Rookies can be drafted buy any team regardless of division. The only exception is Year 1 - you may roster 1 rookie from your franchise
Trades - draft picks may be traded for the current year and up to one year in advance
Vetos - exact number of votes needed will depend upon the number of teams. The general threshold will be 50% + 1.

Draft order Season 1:

1. Chicago White Sox - sigblend
2. San Diego Padres - Disco Dogs
3. Milwaukee Brewers
4. Kansas City Royals
5. Washington Senators
6. Montreal Expos
7. Philadelphia Phillies
8. Atlanta Braves - midknight
9. Cleveland Indians
10. St. Louis Cardinals - mikemundt
11. Detroit Tigers
12. Houston Astros - Kaboom1969
13. New York Mets - sean102385
14. Chicago Cubs - MVW
15. California Angels - crazyamos
16. San Francisco Giants
17. Boston Red Sox - sigblend
18. Los Angeles Dodgers - bheid408
19. Oakland Athletics - chargingryno
20. Pittsburgh Pirates - Landry19
21. New York Yankees - fatguyrd
22. Minnesota Twins - 1bluejayway
23. Cincinnati Reds - Mickr9
24. Baltimore Orioles - fabulous

Call 'em out as you sign up!

Teams selected:

NL East - 4
NL West - 4
AL East - 2
AL West - 4
12/11/2022 3:45 PM (edited)
If this takes off I'll Jump in with the NY Mets
12/1/2022 5:49 PM
Posted by sean102385 on 12/1/2022 5:49:00 PM (view original):
If this takes off I'll Jump in with the NY Mets
Thanks for joining!
12/1/2022 6:15 PM
Posted by MVW on 12/2/2022 2:18:00 AM (view original):
I'll take Cincinnati.
Thanks for joining!
12/2/2022 6:29 AM
Interested
2 Questions:
1.If two or more teams from 1 division don't get claimed at signup won't the teams drafting from that division have an advantage talent wise picking players?
2.Why 6/4 AAA average quaility? With 20 teams or 16, the player pool from 24 teams should be adequate. I'd rather teams draft their own AAA players.
12/2/2022 9:04 AM
Posted by bheid408 on 12/2/2022 9:05:00 AM (view original):
Interested
2 Questions:
1.If two or more teams from 1 division don't get claimed at signup won't the teams drafting from that division have an advantage talent wise picking players?
2.Why 6/4 AAA average quaility? With 20 teams or 16, the player pool from 24 teams should be adequate. I'd rather teams draft their own AAA players.
Thanks for the questions.

If the league does not balance all by itself then the draft pools or division composition will be adjusted as needed.

AAA will be WIS players. I am not tied strictly to 6 & 4 but it would be a good buffer for teams given the limited keepers. AAA is certainly something that can discussed further.
12/2/2022 9:36 AM
Baltimore
12/2/2022 12:27 PM
Posted by fabulous on 12/2/2022 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Baltimore
Welcome aboard!
12/2/2022 1:48 PM
Ok I'll go with the Dodgers
12/4/2022 9:28 AM
Posted by bheid408 on 12/4/2022 9:28:00 AM (view original):
Ok I'll go with the Dodgers
Thanks for joining!

Prior to the draft I will ask the league for input on AAA.
12/4/2022 1:53 PM
I'll play St. Louis
12/4/2022 10:49 PM
Posted by mikemundt on 12/4/2022 10:49:00 PM (view original):
I'll play St. Louis
Thanks for joining!
12/5/2022 6:25 AM
So after 4 years we lose everyone? and start all over? and if so, do we go from 1974 or back to 1970? Thanks
12/5/2022 12:15 PM (edited)
Houston Astros
12/5/2022 1:16 PM
Posted by Kaboom1969 on 12/5/2022 1:16:00 PM (view original):
Houston Astros
Welcome and thanks for joining!

The league years will keep progressing - 74, 75, 76, etc. Just your team composition will reshuffle. It should create some interesting opportunities for owners to improve their chances at success.
12/5/2022 1:45 PM
1234 Next ▸
New - Around the Bases Progressive - Full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.