New Challenge/Bounty Topic

Posted by d_rock97 on 12/13/2023 6:11:00 PM (view original):
I’m gonna try this with 32 Foxx and 24 Ruth
Same thing I'm trying. I'll be interested to compare builds and strategy once you get yours together.
12/13/2023 7:58 PM
56 Mantle and 42 Teddy Ballgame here
12/13/2023 8:29 PM
Posted by tpistolas on 12/13/2023 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I love this idea but haven't seen it until now. I may give it a shot, but a few questions for those that have tried:

1. Is everybody picking their two players then back-filling their roster? My first thought was to build a team for a 60mm cap league, and then at the end massively upgrade the two spots. My approach may short myself on the pitching front though (a balanced 60mm cap team would probably have lower $ allocated to pitching than this requires, with this team having more offensive scrubs)

2. It seems like everybody is prioritizing the most insane offensive seasons, but has anybody tried moving down a notch for A+/A+ defenders as well? I've always thought the mega-$ guys don't have the A+ range pay-up that cheaper guys have (I do not have data to support this).
My '11 Cobb and '14 Speaker had A+ range and I tried to fill other roster spots with range where I could. Was competitive in the first third of the season, but I tried to get by with too few innings and eventually was done in by staff fatigue.
12/13/2023 8:31 PM
Posted by wojowojo on 12/13/2023 8:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tpistolas on 12/13/2023 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I love this idea but haven't seen it until now. I may give it a shot, but a few questions for those that have tried:

1. Is everybody picking their two players then back-filling their roster? My first thought was to build a team for a 60mm cap league, and then at the end massively upgrade the two spots. My approach may short myself on the pitching front though (a balanced 60mm cap team would probably have lower $ allocated to pitching than this requires, with this team having more offensive scrubs)

2. It seems like everybody is prioritizing the most insane offensive seasons, but has anybody tried moving down a notch for A+/A+ defenders as well? I've always thought the mega-$ guys don't have the A+ range pay-up that cheaper guys have (I do not have data to support this).
My '11 Cobb and '14 Speaker had A+ range and I tried to fill other roster spots with range where I could. Was competitive in the first third of the season, but I tried to get by with too few innings and eventually was done in by staff fatigue.
I tried two teams around 27 Gehrig and another a+ range guy. Both were failures. 27 Gehrig was probably a bad choice seems like the optimal strategy is to have two guys closer to 15m

Its a tough challenge anyway you approach it. I tried 4 teams and only got 1 above 500 (barely)
12/14/2023 6:50 AM
Posted by mattedesa on 12/13/2023 7:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 12/13/2023 6:11:00 PM (view original):
I’m gonna try this with 32 Foxx and 24 Ruth
Same thing I'm trying. I'll be interested to compare builds and strategy once you get yours together.
Threw mine together in an hour or so and the league is starting tomorrow. I tried to get a bunch of ultra cheap, high OAV, low BB deadballers like Babe Adams, Bob Ewing, and my personal favorite cookie, Bob Harmon, and pair them with modern ultra cheap A fielders that won’t kill me with minus plays. The problem is that since the salary explosion, there’s less than a handful of those guys left. We'll have Whit Merrifield man 2B, Miguel Rojas at SS, and David Fletcher will find a spot somewhere. The rest of the lineup is less than ideal. Guess I’ll have to find out how effective my defense will be at protecting my staff that averages $21k/IP. I’ll be posting my roster in an hour or so.
12/14/2023 2:32 PM
I went a different direction, so it'll be interesting to see which of us fails worse :)

For my offense, I went with an overall pitchers park that still had a slight plus on homers. I looked for the highest OBP guys I could find that weren't D- in the field (at least C- up the middle) for under $3M. My hope was that when Foxx and Ruth hit their homers, there's a better chance of them scoring additional runs? We'll see. On the mound, I went with the best overall low-homer 1350 innings I could get.

Nothing about the team is ideal, but I guess that's why the bounty is hard!
12/14/2023 4:16 PM
Here’s the squad with 1255 innings at Tiger Stadium. Dylan Dodd will be burned Game 1, then we’ll see what I can get with my extra $1.6 million.

12/14/2023 5:11 PM
Good luck with the 1255 innings - I tried something similar with my last team and they're getting slaughtered with fatigue.
12/14/2023 8:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tpistolas on 12/15/2023 3:44:00 PM (view original):
Hopefully this comes through:

Pulling out all the stops here: Tandem rotation. Some of my favorite cookies (Nunez, same Tenace as D Rock, swapped out Whit for Zobrist to snag some OBP ahead of my stars). Platoon OF. Have some lineup staggering plans to manage PAs. Have Orel and Kline to burn and waive. Definitely plan on recycling the 1.6mm in waiver $ a lot.

I can't decide if I should throw this team in Petco to help with my fatigue (and high OAV...and defensive deficiencies...and other things so I guess that's the right move), or if I'm better off in the Kingdome or new Yankee Stadium which will accentuate, rather than depress, my two sluggers. The pitching is abysmal but the lineup actually came out better than I expected.

made some slight changes around the fringes and entered a league starting up on 12/30

vs RHP Zobrist batting ahead of Ted & Mick, Ken Williams and Hal Chase behind them
vs LHP maybe an incredible find, 171PA Benny Meyer ($801k) with an insane .242/.424/.258 slash (just two doubles, no triples or homers) leading off (resting Williams), Zobrist drops lower

I need Irv to win close to 40 games to have a shot at the playoffs I think
12/29/2023 1:31 PM
I'm gonna give this another shot with Hornsby and Mantle. Squeezed 2016 Ramirez in with them, then a lot of scrubs after that. I don't have high hopes.
1/1/2024 10:49 PM
Good Luck DCNats.

Future Entries for this bounty are now closed. Teams that have been entered up to now are eligible. First to win the league or best record will get the prize. Area is in the lead with 96 wins.
1/3/2024 1:47 AM (edited)
Do you get a double bounty if one of your stars is awful? I'm keeping my head above water 23-25 so far despite my $18mm Mick hitting .266 with 4hr!!
1/14/2024 6:29 PM
Never trust any high priced 1950s player
1/14/2024 7:52 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
New Challenge/Bounty Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.