Interesting Bill James article Topic

Selfish, Contributing, Combination and Weak Hitters

Published over a week ago, but I just got around to reading it today.

1/27/2023 4:58 PM
Good share. I rarely find bill James insightful these days, but this was really interesting. The payoff is in the last two paragraphs, but you really need to dredge through the first part to fully understand what he’s defining here. Otherwise, I’d say just skip to the end as the groundwork paragraphs weren’t that interesting, but the payoff was well worth plugging through them.
1/27/2023 6:38 PM
Also has some interesting application in building sim lineups.
1/27/2023 6:38 PM
Ha, good point about the opening paragraphs. I almost didn't get through them myself.
1/27/2023 7:03 PM
What we've learned at least in real baseball especially in the last 10-20 years is that the least effective way to score runs is with empty average.
Guys that bat .330 with a .360 OBP and a .400 slugging just don't produce that many runs in today's game. It's simply too hard to string together 4 or 5 hits in the same inning too often with the quality of pitching, defense, and the high number of strikeouts.
1/29/2023 7:15 PM
Those of us in Europe still cannot any longer view the Bill James online site, because the site doesn't have a https (secure) version and the EU won't allow us to view it. crazy, if you have a chance to copy and paste the content it would be great. The administrator at the Bill James website has written me saying he wishes they could make it available but it's not a priority. So for a few years now I have no site access. Ridiculous, since a whole lot of much shadier websites are accessible here, but not James.
2/9/2023 7:41 AM

By Bill James
January 18, 2023

In responding to a question posed yesterday by Brock Hanke, I accidentally hit on what may or may not be a useful way of thinking about team offense.
Suppose there is a team, a kind of an average team, which has 1,450 hits, 600 walks/hit batsmen, and 2200 total bases in 5,500 at bats. Such a team would score about 739 runs. Suppose that there is one hitter on that team who hits .263 with a .333 on base percentage and a .400 slugging percentage; we could call that player Troy Tulowitzki, because Tulowitzki in 2008 hit .263 with a .332 on base percentage and a .401 slugging percentage. Let’s give that player 600 at bats.
Suppose, however, that we replace Troy Tulowitzki with a player who hits .315 with a .400 on base percentage and a .400 slugging percentage. That would be Rod Carew in 1982 (.319/.396/.403), so we could say that’s Rod Carew. Or suppose, alternatively, that we take Tulowitzki out of the lineup, but we replace him with a player hitting .263, Tulowitzki’s average, but with more power (.523 slugging) but less on base percentage (.320). That would be Dick Stuart in 1963 (.261/.312/.521) or Nelson Cruz in 2009 (.260/.332/.524). We’ll call this player Nelson Cruz.
Replacing Tulowitzki with either Carew or Nelson Cruz has essentially the same effect. Either substitution would make the team about 22 runs better, moving them up to 761 runs scored. But suppose the team then makes a second similar substitution, replacing a second neutral-type hitter with a second on-base hitter (a second Rod Carew) versus a second power hitter (a second Nelson Cruz.) The second substitution to a Rod Carew type player, because there are more runners now on base, will have MORE effect than the first such substitution. But making a second substitution of a low-average power hitter into the lineup, because there are fewer runners now on base, will have LESS effect than did the first one. The Nelson Cruz type hitter improves the offense by driving in more runs, thus leaving fewer runners on base, but he reduces the number of runners on base in two different ways—first by driving them in, and second by not getting on base himself. The more times you substitute power for runners on base, the less effective the substitution becomes.
To be fully transparent here, as Joe Biden likes to say, this effect is trivial to negligible as long as we are talking about just one or two players. The more you do it, though, the more significant it becomes. There is a law of diminishing returns that applies.
It is clear that we are seeing those diminishing returns. Let us take, for example, all players in history who had 550 to 650 plate appearances, hit 25 to 35 home runs, and had slugging percentages of .450 to .550. In the 1950s there were 60 such players, of whom 29 drove in 100 or more runs. They averaged 608 plate appearances, 23 doubles, 29 homers, 98 RBI. Half of them minus one drove in 100 or more runs.
In the last decade (2010 to 2019) there were 145 such players. They averaged 608 plate appearances, 30 doubles and 29 homers—but only 33 of the 145 players drove in 100 runs That’s 23%. A player now drives in fewer runs than a player with the same number of singles, doubles, triples and homers two generations ago, because there aren’t as many runners on base around him.
Again, we don’t know at this time whether this is a meaningful effect, or merely a documental change. The players in the 1950s drove in 98 runs on average; in the 2010s, they drove in 90. It’s not a huge difference. In the 1950s, only one player in the group drove in less than 75 runs, that being Woody Held, who drove in 71. In the 2010s, 15 of those players drove in less than 75 runs, with the low being 59 RBI. We don’t know whether this means that baseball teams could do better by mixing in more high on-base guys on not; I’m just trying to create a way to discuss the issue.
Which is this. Suppose that we call the low-on-base, high-power hitters "selfish" hitters, meaning they drive in themselves, and the high on-base, low-power hitters "contributing" hitters. That’s what I said yesterday.
Well, OK, but what about players who have BOTH high on base percentages and high slugging? Guys like Mickey Mantle, not that Mantle would be typical of the group. We will call them "combination" hitters, and those who are low in both areas, we will call "weak" hitters. And there will need to be a fifth group, which is guys who are just sort of middle-of-the-pack in both areas. We will call them Centrist Hitters.
If a player has an on base percentage greater than .340 and a slugging percentage less than .425, we will describe him as a "contributing" type of hitter.
If a player has a slugging percentage over .440 and an on base percentage below .330, we describe him as a "selfish" type of hitter.
If a player has an on base percentage greater than .340 and a slugging percentage greater than .450, we will describe him a "combination" hitter.
If a player has an on base percentage under .300 and a slugging percentage under .400, we will describe him as dead space. Just kidding; we will designate him as a weak hitter.
And if a player fits into none of those four groups, we will call him a Centrist type of hitter. We’re actually going to wind up with 6 groups of hitters here.
In baseball history through 2019 there were 13,280 hitters who had 500 or more plate appearances in a season (the file I am working with hasn’t been updated since 2019. Or maybe it was 2020, but nobody from 2020 had 500 plate appearances.)
Of those 13,280 hitters, 2,773 are classified as contributing hitters, or 21%.
1,172 are classified as selfish hitters, or about 9%.
3,892 are "combination" hitters, or 39%.
1,017 are classified as weak hitters or 8%.
3,964 are classified as centrist hitters, or 30%.
462 are classified as not-category hitters, or 3%. Non-category hitters are either hitters who get on base too much to be considered weak hitters, but who have slugging percentages well below the normal range, or players who have very high on base percentages, but not enough power to be classified as combination hitters.

From year to year, players bounce between categories. Craig Biggio had several seasons in which he is classified as a contributing hitter, and some seasons in which he is classified as a selfish hitter. Only "extreme" type hitters are locked into one group.
The most productive player ever in Group 1 (contributing hitters) was Sliding Billy Hamilton, from the 1890s. Other prominent players who had many seasons in this area include Roberto Alomar, Matty Alou, Luke Appling, Richie Ashburn, Craig Biggio, Maxie Bishop, Wade Boggs, Lou Brock, Brett Butler, Eddie Collins, Dom DiMaggio, Ferris Fain, Curt Flood, Nellie Fox, Bret Gardner, Tony Gwynn, Stan Hack, Rickey Henderson, Billy Herman. . .well, you get the idea. But I will also note that Bobby Grich, Carl Yastrzemski, and Darrell Evans also had numerous seasons in this category, since they also had many years in which they were productive hitters but with slugging percentages below .425.
The most productive player ever in Group 2 (selfish hitters) was Alfonso Soriano in 2002 and 2003. Soriano was a leadoff hitter in those years; it is perhaps an odd place in the lineup to place this type of a hitter. Others who represent this group would include Garrett Anderson, Tony Armas, Ernie Banks, George Bell, Andre Dawson, Adrian Beltre, Joe Carter, Willie Davis, Juan Gonzales, Torii Hunter, Dave Kingman, Lance Parrish, sometimes Dave Parker, Salvi Perez and Matt Williams. Frank Thomas, the 1950s guy who just passed away, was almost always in this category.
Almost all of the greatest hitters in history were combination hitters, Group 3, while weak hitters, Group 4, rarely stay in the league long enough to become recognizable names.

But here is what I was trying to get to.
In the 19th century, the ratio of contributing players to selfish players was 339 to 9, or 37 to 1. Baseball was a game in which each player tried to get on base, and each player tried to advance teammates on the bases. It was a team game, in which runs were generated by community actions.
From 1900 to 1919, that ratio was 515 to 15, or 34 to 1.
From 1920 to 1939, the ratio of contributing to selfish hitters was 440 to 28, or 16 to 1.
From 1940 to 1959, the ratio was 390 to 79, or 5 to 1.
From 1960 to 1980, the ratio was 375 to 211, or 1.78 to 1.
From 1980 to 1999, the ratio was 394 to 301, or 1.31 to 1.
From 2000 to 2019, the ratio was 322 to 529, or .61 to 1, or 1.64 to 1 going the other direction. More RBI men than players who are getting on base for them.
I think we have to accept that, unless there is a historic re-direction, a radical change in the trend line, over the next generation the ratio will be 3 to 1 or higher in favor of the selfish type of hitter. And the implications of that are immense. It is not really a "team" game anymore; it is a game of individual actions. This may mean that our offensive formulas don’t work anymore. It may mean that the players that are available and the players that teams need just don’t match anymore; that is, that the Tony Gwynn-style players that would most benefit a typical team just are not anywhere to be found, because players have not been trained to play that way. It may mean that we are miscalculating value in players, because what we figuring in effect is how valuable players WOULD HAVE BEEN to teams 40 years ago, rather than how valuable they are now. It may mean that the game that we are watching is not the game that we grew up watching, the game that we decided to adopt when we were young. And it may mean that the public just doesn’t like the game anymore. They don’t want to watch.
Or not. But it is something that we need to understand better.
2/9/2023 9:05 AM
Maybe it's the "old man" in me, but I've hated the direction offense is going in for a while now. The feast or famine approach at the plate is not overly entertaining for fans, as much as seeing homers is cool - the payoff just doesn't happen enough. Also, it's maddening when your team just needs a guy on base, or to move a runner up a base, and the hitter is swinging out of his shoes trying to park one. There just seems to be so little discipline anymore. Most hitters 30+ years ago were embarrassed to strike out. Now hitters don't care.

I have no clue why a hitter would rather hit .210 with 35 HRs when he could try to hit .260 and be on base more and involved in more plays on the bases.
2/9/2023 11:47 AM
I agree. I was a huge baseball fan growing up, bought every Bill James Baseball Abstract, even worked for John Dewan at Stats, Inc. for a stretch. But since the mid-to-late 2000's, I just don't enjoy the game anymore. I always hated the "low-onbase-high-slugging" players like Dave Kingman and thought those guys were overrated. Now, it seems more than half the league are basically Dave Kingman types of hitters.

Sadly, I truly believe analytics may have hurt baseball more than helped it. The discovery of BABIP and how everybody realized that pitchers who have high strikeout rates are better than guys with low strikeout rates. The non-power-hitting high-average/onbase hitters are apparently perceived as not as valuable as the lower-average/onbase power hitters.

It seems to me the best way to counter all of this is to build a team full of high-average good-contact high-OBP batters who can hit to the opposite field (eliminating the defensive shift advantage). Is that kind of offense good enough to beat a team built with guys who only K or hit HRs? Maybe... but until something changes, I just don't really care about modern baseball anymore.
2/9/2023 1:05 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This is all a function of pitchers getting better. Fastball velocity is way up thanks to improved training methods, and it's up without sacrificing command very much.

Also, analyzing historical data shows pitchers get worse the more pitches they throw, and hitters have the advantage the more times they've faced a pitcher in the same game. So starting pitchers stay in for fewer pitches and no longer have to pace themselves to go deeper into the game, they bring their best stuff to every batter. Instead of facing a tired starter in the 6th and 7th inning you're facing a fresh reliever throwing 98 with a nasty slider.

The opener/bullpen game is another innovation making it harder for hitters. Teams used to call up some replacement level guy from the minors to start a game if there wasn't a rested starter available and leave him in for 100+ pitches unless he was getting bombed, now they just use a bunch of major league caliber relievers for 1 to 2 innings each.

I would love to see a team go against the grain and build a lineup around contact hitting, speed, base stealing, hit and runs, etc. It would be really fun to watch, but I'm not sure how well it would work against modern pitching. Maybe it would and I hope someone tries it. The new rules with limited pickoffs and larger bases should encourage someone to try it.

2/9/2023 3:28 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/9/2023 11:47:00 AM (view original):
Maybe it's the "old man" in me, but I've hated the direction offense is going in for a while now. The feast or famine approach at the plate is not overly entertaining for fans, as much as seeing homers is cool - the payoff just doesn't happen enough. Also, it's maddening when your team just needs a guy on base, or to move a runner up a base, and the hitter is swinging out of his shoes trying to park one. There just seems to be so little discipline anymore. Most hitters 30+ years ago were embarrassed to strike out. Now hitters don't care.

I have no clue why a hitter would rather hit .210 with 35 HRs when he could try to hit .260 and be on base more and involved in more plays on the bases.
I’d say discipline is higher than ever as I think the problem with MLB is not with the low OBP, high strikeout sluggers, but every PA being 5-6 pitches minimum. Watching old games, I’ve noticed a lot more batters swinging at the first pitch, and AB’s being mostly 3 pitches long.

Sure baseball is most exciting with a runner on base, more notably, in scoring position, and we need more Luis Arraez type hitters, but I don’t think the issue is discipline, there might be too much discipline as batters wait til two strikes for “their pitch”. There’s too much inaction.
2/9/2023 4:27 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/9/2023 11:47:00 AM (view original):

Two parts resonated with me in your post. First is I may have a bit of "old man' in me too. The second is while seeing homers is cool; it seemed a lot cooler when they weren't happening so frequently. To my way of looking at things, I was more appreciative of the long ball when it seemed rare and was more of a statement during a game. It was a source of some pride for a "slugger" to have a low K count. Today's batters don't seem embarrassed to strike out. Still enjoy a long rally of hits, walks, a HBP every so often, maybe a stolen base leading to a few runs. But that's the old man in me. My wish is I appreciated the Cardinals/Royals style of ball back in the 1980s, but I didn't like either of those teams much.
2/9/2023 8:06 PM
I'm of the old man view, too. The game just isn't the same game I grew up with, and I'm not one to embrace the shift. The game is quickly turning into HR Derby, and before long I see it becoming exaclty that. No defenders, just a BB, out, or HR. Anything not a BB or HR is an out.

Of course, this entire article resonates with guys like me on a "See!! I told ya so!" level, but the issue is the game isn't really baseball anymore, it's entertainment. Players are entertainers, and owners want to entertain today's fan so they come to games and buy stuff. But today's fan doesn't really care about baseball; they care about updating their social media to say they were at a game. They care to look up from their work emails on their phone just long enough to snap a selfie with HR fireworks going off in the background.

So when you or I or Bill James talk about a player's value, we have to remember value is subjective. There's old school statistical value, like James discusses here, and there's "butts-in-seats" value that owners look at. Unfortunately, everything about the game is trending toward the "selfish" player (to use James's term), because selfish accomplishments are what put butts in seats these days.

In my humble opinion, baseball is committing slow suicide by embracing this approach. If it continues down this path, the I have doubts the game will continue to thrive. Not that it will fold, as large scale sporting events will always hold social value, but the game will no longer be one of cultivating generation-spanning fans that care deeply about the game the way those of on this site do.
2/20/2023 2:44 PM (edited)
First of all, many thanks fatguyrd for posting the article and crazystengel for bringing it to our attention.

I am another old guy, and like redwingscup I did not much like 1980s Cards and Royals, but now yearn for a team like those. Maybe the 2023 rules changes will lead to a correction.

I do tthink the 2022 Cleveland Guardians ( they rename the team the Blues) deserve notice and credit: they did gave a team that, at least relative to other teams today, was a contact-vased offense with a good defense. They should have beaten the Yankees, much as I love my team in the Bronx, who epitomized the all or nothing offense of recent years.

is anyone else struck by the fact that whereas THE great offensive insight in the age of sabermetrics was OBP, that OBP has fallen?

I agree that the use of abd training of piwatchers and hitters today is largely to blame, as a Marxist I feel obligated to also mention the material base at work: players' salaries go a long way to answering the question "why would players prefer to hit .220 with 30 homers instead of .260 with getting on base more often to help their team?" Certainly the teams SHOULD reward action that helps the team, but even front offices, maybe ESPECIALLY front offices, have been trained to look at individual accomplishments in isolation which is the methodological individualism at the heart of sabermetrics and its Achilles heel. In an age free agency, players look for what is eye-opening, and batting average no longer is.
2/21/2023 4:13 AM
Interesting Bill James article Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.