slow leadoff hotters Topic

Conventional lineup theory says your leadoff hitter should be a speedy guy. That may be true if he steals a lot of bases. Otherwise it makes no sense in the Sim. Biggest advantage of speed rating is it keeps the hitter out of double plays. Leadoff hitters have the fewest double pay opps by far, because of leading off in the 1st and following the pitcher later. So shouldn't a slow guy be leading off? One with high walks because walks are less valuable with baserunners, and one with high stamina unless you are platooning because total PA is one way Sim doesn't match real life.,
2/4/2023 2:20 PM (edited)
I just usually let the guy with the best OBP lead off whether he is fast or not.
2/4/2023 3:09 PM
I try to have a lefty up there against rhp's.
2/4/2023 10:24 PM
I’ve used that described strategy many times- usually at $90m to $110m caps.Recently I did it with Ferris Fain who is a good example of a slew foot who gets on base with singles and walks. Put a speedy, high contact (.900 or better) guy behind him, turn up the H&R setting (really not that noticeable as SIM doesn’t really hit and run all that much) and it works out fine. Lot of ways to win in the SIM.
2/5/2023 12:30 AM
To support the original proposition, speed on the basepaths also increases in value as outs increase.
2/6/2023 1:10 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 2/6/2023 1:10:00 AM (view original):
To support the original proposition, speed on the basepaths also increases in value as outs increase.
Good point. Also, if someone hits a double, or a sac fly, you want a runner on the bases who can score. Certainly we have learned that OBP is more important than speed, but speed is still important.
2/6/2023 6:31 AM
slow leadoff hotters Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.